• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:13 AM

Wow Awesome pics RR,Ive never had much success with Rye with Invitro but then again RR you always amaze us here at Topia.

#22 candykid420

candykid420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:19 AM

You should do what I'm going to do for my bulk Invitro grow:

200 full-pint jars Posted Image

#23 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:22 AM

i sure wouldn't go popcorn invitro
at least not without
first isolating a proven substrain.

#24 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:30 AM

200 jars! That's all i need is more jars. I bought 6 of these 1/2 gallon bastards last night and don't have the room for them. My girlfriend surely wasn't happy either. I had been drinkin and felt like experimenting!Posted Image

#25 Guest_doctor_funk_*

Guest_doctor_funk_*

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:48 AM

Regarding Invitro-

I think I remember seeing a pic posted awhile back of a light fixed to the underside of a rubbermaid lid to initiate pinning/fruiting and provide an automated setup since the light was on a timer. I've searched High and Low but have been unable to find that pic... Does anyone use this setup or know of a cheap light supplier. I'm already familiar with tap lights, I'm interested in automation. Thanks! Posted Image

#26 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:58 AM

Check out Insight's rig in the thread here in fungi called, Lighting My Fruiting Chambers.

#27 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:02 PM

thread here in fungi called, Lighting My Fruiting Chambers.
that would be http://mycotopia.net...tml ?1108446638

#28 Guest_doctor_funk_*

Guest_doctor_funk_*

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:06 PM

that thread was exactly what i was looking for... awesome guys. Posted Image

#29 Guest_vrooota!_*

Guest_vrooota!_*

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:13 PM

200 full-pint jars
holy shit-you the man!!
...I guess you just got a lot of really hungry friends hhuh?

#30 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:29 PM

Nice numbers Candykid420. Does the brf mix do as well in 500ml jars as it does for 250ml? Are there any drawbacks to that size? I would think you'd fruit them upside-down like Chronic tek, with a few holes in the lid for air exchange?

I think the fastest way would be to spawn with existing brf cakes...I'm thinking if you sterilize a bunch of 500ml jars of brf mix, you could spawn from 250ml jars, ending up with a bunch of 500ml invitros.

What's your method with 200 500ml jars Candykid420? How long have you had that setup running?

#31 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:33 PM

Are there any drawbacks to that size?

colonization time.
if you really wanted true bulk invitro
in a reasonable time-frame
my approach would be
brf/verm mix in mycobags
so you can knead/squeeze them to speed up colonization
then once fully colonized
one could cut away bag
and pack colonized substrate into
whatever rigid container one chooses,
even half gallon jars.

#32 Guest_cheese_*

Guest_cheese_*

Posted 16 February 2005 - 01:22 PM

Wow! those look awesome RR, so you just used rye berries and some coffee grindings and that's what you got?! What was the ratio of coffee grindings to rye berries? Very nice, I love the bottom picture!

#33 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 01:28 PM

It looks like he's got a good clone going on those puppies!

#34 candykid420

candykid420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 04:22 PM

Morthos, there is no secret to the setup I have, just lots and lots and lots of rubbermaid bins, filled to the brim with jars. I use seperate lamps overlooking the tops of the bins to give them light. Nothing to it Posted Image

And the mushrooms fruit just as well in 500ml jars than in 250ml, if anything you get more out of the 500ml because they have room to grow longer and fatter. I get at LEAST 3 grams dry off of one 500ml (as opposed to 1-2 grams with 250ml), plus it will flush again.

It just takes a LONG time to make and cook 200 jars (but the process becomes much shorter with the help of four pressure cookers).

I know there is a way for better yields (straw logs, casings) but if you want bulk INIVTRO, then my method is the best way. There is only so much one can harvest from a single invitro jar, you might as well make a ton of them if you want bulk.

#35 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 10:14 PM

(So you are making cakes twice the normal size, right?)

Nice. I once was up around 40 250ml jars, regular PF cakes; some of them I fruited inside 500ml's, but making the cake that size in the first place makes more sense. I had a smaller PC back then, mind you...wasn't possible.

I used standing metal racks with white sheets draped over them, using ambient light from windows. Of course, I dunk between flushes and bleach dip starting after the second flush.

Four pressure cookers! I love it! I'm tempted to ask what your weekly dry harvest is, but that might be the wrong Q to ask here.

How are you inoculating your 500ml brf jars? I would think the quickest method for colonization would be spawning...what works most quickly for you? Is using spores on large jars very slow? If spores, are you using only 4 inoc points, or more?

May I copy your brain? I am playing with popcorn res effect and soon wbs too but invitro is the most reliable method I've done. Plus I don't want to be scheduled into misting, etc. I would like to see what potential your method yields.

I'm curious as to the subtleties of your operation; 1. Do you label the lids of jars to have an idea later when one should be thrown out - you can't keep tabs on if a jar has fruited in the last 2 wks.

Thx!

#36 candykid420

candykid420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 424 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 10:26 PM

wrote you an email

#37 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:24 AM

email replied to, thx!

Thanks for the reply Hippie3, I'll read up on mycobags.

I suppose a working method I already have would be to use colonized 500ml brf jars as spawn with sterilized 500ml jars of substrate, load into 1.5L jars inside a glovebox...probably much more work though!

At the moment I'm trying invitro with res-effected popcorn. I've got a 2-jar popcorn & verm cake upsidedown in a transparent tupperware container with holes in the lid. I also have four coir-popcorn res cakes with some verm on top and underneath in rectangular tupperware w holes in the lids. That's two 500ml jars of popcorn mixed with verm or coir in a 1:1 ratio, with about an inch of airspace above them in the containers, and a quarter-inch on the sides. Think they'll work?

Neglect teks feel time effiecient to me...:)

#38 Guest_tumbz_*

Guest_tumbz_*

Posted 18 February 2005 - 08:21 AM

RR, Very nice invitro Pics!

:D

#39 Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Posted 20 March 2005 - 08:44 PM

I know this isn't orthodox, but it worked somewhat. I made some jars from castings, coir, and verm, although I didn't exactly measure it, and I used dry layers top and bottom pf style. I do know that castings were the largest slice of the pie here. Well, I shot em up with pan spores, and after reading Roger's comment about nobody shoots up poo with spores and waiting like two weeks with no growth I took em out thinking I wasted my time. Then there was growth. So I put em back and waited another week and a half. My original idea was to get a cake that would fruit in a terrarium, like an easy pan tek, so I birthed one I put in pinned and I actually got a few tiny pans. Not worth trying again - for one the mycelia was sparse and doesn't really hold the cake together like with brf. So I decided to use the rest as spawn. I spawned some of them to pasteurized straw mixed with buffalo poo and man that colonized fast. My other thread shows the casing I fucked up. Well, I saved a few to do another casing, but one had an invitro fruit growing, and knowing how poorly they performed in a terrarium and not wanting to use that one for spawn, I let it go to see what I would get. I know these aren't regular size pans or anything, but the jar has already produced more invitro than the one I birthed. This jar might end up producing enough for one person to enjoy, but I doubt it. Anyway, there are like twenty something little pan pins in there. Probably not worth the effort, but with some tweeking could this be a way for someone to grow pans stealthily? So I guess there still hasn't been produced a worthwhile pancake, not that I have seen anyway, but I did get more than what was shown on the one in the archives.

#40 Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Posted 20 March 2005 - 08:45 PM

oops forgot the pics

Attached Thumbnails

• invitropan.jpg
  • paninvitro.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!