Fisana

- - - - -

Hip's invitro tek [merged]

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 20 March 2005 - 08:53 PM

Very cool. Dig them out and clone one, eat the rest.

#42 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 08:44 AM

so cute.
i'd say you may be on the right track,
just need a better formulation,
maybe a bit less poo ?

#43 Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:05 AM

Maybe. I will try again sooner or later, but this is def not giving me enough weight to recommend to anyone else yet. The casings I spawned this mix to colonized fast but I must have fucked up somewhere, proly casing and moisture upkeep, because I have yet to get a single pin on any and I have three in the chamber. I know my cool mist got clogged and casings dried, hell I haven't even had luck with my normal casings in a long time. The first couple of casings I did were straight grain and I had luck, but that must have been beginner's luck. Maybe I should take a trip to see the shroom gods, it's been awhile, maybe they are pissed. Anyway here are some pics.
the first is the same cake different jar, the second I stirred the casing and misted because it got dry, the third seemed moist still so I let it be, and the fourth is the one in the thread pan casing that I have removed most of the casing from and intend to recase.

Attached Thumbnails

• pan4.jpg
  • pan3.jpg
  • pan2.jpg
  • pan1.jpg

#44 nomoreusmc

nomoreusmc

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 04:28 PM

I think you need to make a little mare space in there for them, like goldfish won't outgrow there pond

#45 shitep0ke

shitep0ke

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:04 PM

This is my first post but I've been doing a lot of reading in the archives and in the forums and have read quite a few teks and have finally decided to give this a shot. What really interested me in the archives was the Hominy project. I read through the whole thread and really liked the idea of a cheap and easy to prepare substrate. My main question is can you use Hominy to successfully grow invitro? I know grains are generally used for casing and some mentioned varied success using Hominy to spawn. In the Hominy Project thread it seemed like the majority of the interest was to find an easy to prepare and use substrate for new growers, if this could be combined with the apparent ease of invitro growing it seems as tho it would be an ideal setup.... not necessarily for the best flushes, nicest fruits or even fastest colonizations but mainly as a really easy and nearly fool proof way to grow. I have also been gathering info about the varied success of sterilization using the microwave. I know it is shaky at best but it seemed that a lot of the failures were due to an excessive drying of the substrate. If this were the case, and Hominy could be used to grow invitro, it would also fit that Hominy would be the ideal substrate for anyone without a PC/stove since it might hold up better in the microwave due to it having a higher water content than other substrates.

I know that 99% of beginners fail because they deviate from established teks, but in my case I don't think any conventional tek will fit my situation (mainly the lack of PC/stove). My plan is to grow invitro (verm layer on top and bottom) on hominy using the microwave to steralize and I want to use the brazilian strain for its fast colonizing which will hopefully aid in fighting off contams (will Brazilian grow invitro? If not will Z's?).
My whole plan basically hinges on the idea of using hominy as an invitro substrate so if thats not possible I guess this a moot post for the most part. However if it is possible, what do you all think of using hominy as a micro-steralization substrate? I think I have read through most of the archives about micro-teks but that is the main area where I am lacking a lot of info, do any of you do it? Have you? Is it naive of me to think I can pull it off?

thanks
-s

#46 pskovinsky

pskovinsky

Ex-chat M0d of Doom, y3

• Expired Member
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:53 PM

Z's are all about invitro, but most any cubie strain works well for it.

Hominy on the other hand, does not, i got one jar to fruit invitro through abuse, but in general they won't do it.

A casing is VERY easy though, heres what i did:

Get a WIDE jar, like 6 inches wide kind of wide, and at least 6 tall as well, check the doller store.

Crumble (gently!) the grain (hominy, in this case) and try to get it as level as possible on the bottem of the jar, then take your damp verm (dampen it till you can give it a good squeeze and only get a little drip or two of water out them bottem), and spread maybe 1/4-3/8ths of an inch of that over the top of the grain.

Layer some duct tape around the bottem of the jar so that the grain isn't exposed to light.

Now put the lid back on the jar, and put it in a warmish spot with light (65-75 degrees. 70-75 is best), at LEAST twice a day (preferibly three times) take the lid off and use it to fan the old air out of the jar, 10 seconds of fanning is enough.

In a week or two(or three, or four, sometimes), it should start popping little pins up, if it doesn't keep this up.
Should the verm start to dry out a bit, lightly mist it with water, LIGHTLY! Don't mist if you can see little white round thingies (hyphal knots) or tiny tiny mushrooms (pins), as it can kill them.
Because the lid stays on, you don't lose nearly as much water to evaporation as you do with a normal open casing, so you probably won't have to mist till the first flush is getting largish, but your mileage may vary.

Thats what i did my first grow, which happened to be with hominy. I didn't get a nice even flush like the pics you'll see, but i got a bunch of mushrooms from it.

#47 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:03 PM

i think one could get hominy to do ok invitro if one went with the rez-effect concept.
i'd intermix the verm [coir even better] 50/50 with hominy
then put the filter/barrier of verm above like a cake.
then steam it an hour, maybe even two.
'wave sterilization is tricky,
you might get a few thru ok
but also expect to lose several.
steam is better.

#48 bipolar

bipolar

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:22 PM

If you don't have a stove, get youself a single or double burner electric hot plate. That with a big enough pot will give you a good steam source. I've been steaming all my BRF 1/2 pints up til now. I've finally got a pc.

Peace

#49 inexorable

inexorable

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:13 PM

Hey! Really need to invest in a fuckin digi-cam. Anyhow, just wanted to say that I noticed shrooms growing on a fuly colonized 'cake' of birdseed. I was going to use this birdseed-only jar as grain spawn, but it got misplaced till now, and the shrooms are pretty big inside the jar!! Since it's fully colonized, I suppose I could pick them, and keep growing invitro (but because grain contaminates soo easily I'll just pick em and use it for spawn). No huge discovery--just didn't know if anyone had invitro grain cakes before. Hippie3 Invitro Tek = adaptable.:space:

#50 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:00 AM

it's a bit rare but not unheard of.

#51 shobimono

shobimono

Chat Admin

• Free Member
  • 833 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:25 AM

Foaf recently found an old wbs jar with this in it.

Attached Thumbnails

• b+_wbs_invitro.jpg

#52 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:30 AM

Foaf has found invitro fruits on rye grain before too, but they never get as big and meaty as the ones on 3's invitro mix. Although he had some texans get pretty damn large in a rye grain quart jar.

#53 inexorable

inexorable

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:44 PM

There are more jars with lots of fruiting fungus in them. These are only a few of the forgotten jars. I've never seen invitro fruits this good on only birdseed. This was only from laziness:
DSCF0001.JPG
DSCF0003.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG
I'm going to scrape off the mushrooms inside a glovebox and use birdseed as spawn for a casing. Can't beleve how many and how big some of these got. Look at the bulge on the top of the jar in the first pic. They started to open, invitro, and are pushing at the tyvek!

#54 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2005 - 12:33 AM

Nice job Inexorable !

Here's a few Qt jars of wbs, not yet fully colonized, but pinning.
You can achieve good invitro growth from any grain.
Wbs, rye, brf, corn etc.....

Attached Thumbnails

• wbs1.JPG
  • lone%20invitro1.JPG
  • 3%20invitro1.JPG

#55 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 08:08 AM

well, i'm sure not going to start advising people to use grain invitro,
i've seen more than enough examples to be quite sure that,
at least with multispore inoculations,
one gets better invitro performance from cakes [rez-effect],
so if you did want to pursue
invitro grain
it's good to mix some vermiculite in with the grain.

#56 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:32 AM

I find a little bit of manure mixed with a larger grain like popcorn works well if doing invitro grain grows.

I also agree that cakes are better for invitro grows. They hold up better imho.

#57 SmEugd

SmEugd

Wetware Hacker

• Expired Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 05:55 PM

ZipLoc ™ Invitro "Experiment":

A FOAF was scraping the sht (wispy colonized verm w/ a little BRF) from the tops of his PF jars and using an extra ziploc bag to hold the waste. When he's done the bag with the small bit of substrate is set aside for disposal when the birthing procedure is finished. After a couple weeks my FOAF realized he forgot to get rid of that waste, but by the time he reached it there were several mushies growing invitro in the ziploc. They had been sitting in a dark area in a basement at 60-70 deg F.
By my estimate, there was maybe 2-3 Tbsp. colonized material which yeilded about 10g wet. That's not bad for a one-time flush.

I'm thinking why not slice up a cake into rounds and drop each in a seperate ziploc after a 200:1 bleach dunk? They should do well with little/no attention. Say 7-8 ziplocs per cake each yeilding 10g wet each. 7+g Dry all in one harvest. Consolidating all the fruiting to one flush would eliminate dunking between flushes, as well as the need to tend to humidity and light. Light would probably speed things up, but wasn't an issue in the accidental "trial" bag. It seems to me that the key to getting the most out of your spawn is to trick the myc into fruiting as fast as possible so any would-be contams never get a foothold.

I'll try and convince my FOAF to try this with one of his cakes that are just coming out of incubation today. Anyone else have ideas/opinions/useful info on the topic of novel invitro methods?

#58 shobimono

shobimono

Chat Admin

• Free Member
  • 833 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:48 PM

Sandwich bags also work good for holding that leftover waste.

Attached Thumbnails

• mini_poo_log_neglected.jpg

#59 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:06 PM

interesting idea,
i'd like to see more examples

#60 SmEugd

SmEugd

Wetware Hacker

• Expired Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 12:12 AM

To test my theory, SWIM has birthed two 1/2 pint Thai Lipa Yai PF jars. One standard invitro. The other one was broken into 6 odd sized chunks and dipped in a mild bleach sol'n before being placed into 6 identical ziplocs and placed in a dark environment at 84 deg F until the myc recoups.
I'll post some pics when there is something to see.

The purpose of the experiment is to compare final dry weights and see if the combined weight of the ziploc shrooms is in the neighborhood of what comes off the typical invitro cake. More to come...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!