• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 SmEugd

SmEugd

Wetware Hacker

• Expired Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:31 PM

Well, SWIM's experiment got kinda messed up when the control cake contamed and had to be bleach dunked and suffered a small amputation. Although the cake has now recovered, SWIM begins to notice how much of a half-a$$ed experiment this was in the first place and decides the outcome probably won't demonstrate anything but a fluke instance.
However, any wise mycotopian knows that even if a project takes a turn for the worst, there are valuable lessons to be extracted.

Perhaps the most important aspect of growing invitro with ziplocs is neglect. The test bags that were made up with chunks of PF cakes took off with pins after they were allowed to sit somewhere without being disturbed for at least a couple days. SWIM got a little anxious and decided to peak too much and disturbed some primordia which then stopped maturing.

Another thing to add is perhaps some sort of gas exchange means. Something cheap and readily effective and sterile.... Maybe those little round band-aids could be placed over a hole in the ziploc. It wouldn't take much, just a little help for the cakes anti-trich defenses.

Thai Lipa Yai is not the best invitro strain, but it was all he could spare at the time. Perhaps Texans or B+ next time.

Pins in the ziplocs have been dense little fatties though... hopefully they will put out some good sized ones before contams settle in. I'll drop some pics in another week or so if there's anything interesting to see.

#62 SmEugd

SmEugd

Wetware Hacker

• Expired Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:34 PM

Here's a pic to make things interesting....

Attached Thumbnails

• pinbag.jpg

#63 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:57 PM

Here's evidence of what can happen if you isolate strains on agar. This is one of about fifteen substrains that were isolated from one swipe of spores on agar. This is the best fruiter. To simulate real world conditions, it was important to inoculate horse manure. The substrate in this jar is 1/2 cup of horse manure and 1/4 cup of colonized rye berries. Of the other strains that were isolated, only two were fair producers, five didn't fruit at all, and the rest were mediocre to poor fruiters. Properly cared for, a strain master can last under refrigeration for many years, letting you grow crop after crop from the same isolate, without ever experiencing strain degradation.
RR

Attached Thumbnails

• Redboy invitro 006a.jpg
  • Redboy invitro 002a.jpg
  • Redboy invitro 005a.jpg

#64 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,032 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:10 PM

that's a shit load of pins man!

#65 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:19 PM

Now that's pretty!

#66 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:41 PM

wonderful rodger as always...lots of pins ratio to poo mass!!
peace
siam

#67 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:23 AM

Hey! Can you update this with pics at harvest time please?

#68 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:56 AM

Holy fuck, what strain is it?

#69 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:19 AM

Always inspiring, rodger. :bow: Did you use an agar that was close to the same makeup as the sub in the jar?

#70 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:30 AM

Nope. Plain old MEA. Once strains are isolated on agar, I like to test them on the final substrate to determine the best fruiters. Strain is Redboy.
RR

#71 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:22 PM

hahaha...thats alot of pins RR.....
do you do this with every strain
you work with...?

#72 fucgubarn

fucgubarn

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 764 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:11 PM

little early for me to speak but i'm experiencing kind of the same pin formation with the red boys and the substrate is also lots of horse poo + plain rice :)

#73 fucgubarn

fucgubarn

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 764 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 02:49 AM

not a good picture,will see soon how it turns out :)

Attached Thumbnails

• b36.jpg

#74 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:24 AM

That's freaking amazing, Rodger.
This is the last straw; I'm learning agar.
Finding that stuff around here is a bitch...
I suppose that I'll have to break down and order some.

Amazing,
AS

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!