• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 maidenofiron

maidenofiron

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 217 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:04 PM

I just noticed a slight yellowing on some of my cakes today. they appear on some cakes as a light tint over a considerable surface area, or on others as little dots that are a little more pronounced yellow/brown color. i did a search and was hoping that it is "shroom piss" because it looks really moist inside the jars, but i wanted a pro to try and identify it. i wish i could get better pic, but its a very slight tint. this is the darkest instance...

Attached Thumbnails

• 122_2270.jpg
  • 122_2269.jpg

#2 alounacara

alounacara

Picktish Texas Style...

• OG VIP
  • 2,779 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:16 PM

Kinda hard to tell if its just mycellial piss or a full blown contam
Does it smell bad? Dont stick your nose in it but try and smell if its bad
Try and post some better pics

#3 maidenofiron

maidenofiron

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 217 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:36 PM

im gonna wait a day or two and see what happens, pics dont do justice to it right now....

#4 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:49 PM

I would bet it's okay. A little shroom piss isnt that big of deal. If it starts smelling sweet then you have some bacterial issues to solve. Keep us informed. :)

#5 alounacara

alounacara

Picktish Texas Style...

• OG VIP
  • 2,779 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:49 PM

You might be ok but wait till a few more people look at your pics
My gut feeling is you are ok if that darker specked stuff is verm

#6 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:47 AM

Yeah, looks like mycellium excretions (piss) but I can't say 100% for sure.

#7 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 07 November 2005 - 03:09 PM

Hard for me to tell from the pix also.

Sometimes I'll notice my cakes will look a little off white if the verm is showing through a little. Can't say if this is whats going on with yours or not. Keep a close eye on them and I'd probably isolate them from other jars until you know for sure. This way you don't have to worry about anything spreading if it is a contam.

#8 tempest2003

tempest2003

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:28 PM

i could be wrong, but ive had many half gallons sit for too long which developed a similar yellow tint, they sat too long and turned verry yellow and the water settleted in the bottom of the grain. how old are these hars? i notice the bottom half isnt colonized yet, this could be because its too wet, up top shows good growth while down low lacks completley, moisture could possibly be an issue, if these jars have been sitting for a while, as in 8weeks + more than likley thats your problem, if not, could still be a moisture issue but im uncertian

#9 maidenofiron

maidenofiron

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:17 PM

update: well right before i took those pics i turned the ones which had off colored spots upside down. i read somewhere that this helps drain co2 and promotes more growth.. well the yellowish areas never got any worse so i dont suspect they are contams. but because i flipped the jars (oh by the way they are about 3 weeks old) around the edges of mycellial growth it seems to have puffed up as if it had some quick growth spurt, but other than puffing outwards it hasnt grown any much more. has anyone experienced this? its sort of hard to explain so im goin to take some pictures and post them in a bit...

#10 maidenofiron

maidenofiron

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:37 PM

here the bottom (now top) of one jar. notice the puff of mycellium around the edge of growth. 2 days ago after it puffed up like that it hasnt grown anymore...?? any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails

• 122_2277.jpg
  • 122_2276.jpg

#11 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:20 AM

Are you incubating? If so, what is the temp? Be patient and relax. How long has it been since inoculation?

#12 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:45 AM

generally it only 'puffs' up like that
when the mycelia encounters an area
it cannot colonize, often due to the
presence of bacteria [invisible to the eye]

#13 thedude123man

thedude123man

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:10 PM

As for the yellow tint I'm sure your fine. Everybatch my friend's dog has done has had a few jars with that tint and they always turn out just fine for many quite normal flushes. As for the flipping of the jar he likes to flip every 3 or 4 days after they are a little more than half colonized but has never seen quite that much fluffyness. I think the parts where that is happening may be too dense as well as the explanation hip gave. My 2 cents anyhow.

#14 Guest_DaGoon_*

Guest_DaGoon_*

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:46 PM

yeah if the yellow tint was staying dry and spreading across the top of the mycelium id worry
looks like a little spot of myc piss..

yeah it might be a pocket of bacteria causing as stall. whats your cake recipe look like. maybe some extra water sat there
and is causing problems

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!