What I'm planning on with this thread is to document the fruiting of two more quart jars of wbs, as well as my 1st adventures with agar. Bear in mind, I'm still half-assing things, no flowhood, no glovebox, no schmuv. Might change my mind about that in a bit.
Its been about 3 months since that thread, and what I've done since then is observe those agar plates I made to gain a general idea of what they will do, if left alone. Will contams spontaneously appear? Will they dry out? what? ... as it was my first attempt in making up the agar plates and all. So very few contamed, and only after I took them out of the fridge, and out of the ziplock I was storing them in. The only problem observed was a good deal of condensation remained, like .5mL or so.
So I took 10 plates, peeled off the parafilm, and tilted the plate sideways opening the lid just a tiny lil bit to let the drips of water out. Followed by peroxide dipped tissue transfers and spore swipes of a few species, mostly old old prints from 4-5 years ago.
Granted, the plates that nothing happened on also ended up contamming, but out of 10 plates I have 4 with healthy mycellium growing.
I'm stoked on the multispore of the galindoi, looks like there's sclerotia forming under the mycellium already! Also the tissue transfers of galindoi, you can see that this species is very resistant to contams, look at it repelling those chunks of trich!
So I've got some transfering and isolation to do with those plates, will update later on that progress...
Also, from that previous thread, all those old grain jars died, and the lcs didn't take off either for some reason. No matter, I still had a quart of wbs fully colonized and loaded with stones. So, I harvested the stones, and put the rest of the spawn into some chicken trays, lidded em for a week, then cased with verm/coir, gave a good spray, put polyfilled holes in the lids, and within a couple days, mushrooms!!!
Edited by Beast, 09 February 2009 - 05:11 PM.