• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:52 PM

Ok, so you may recall from a past thread that I have been working with Psilocybe galindoi var georgia (atl#7), my new species of choice.

What I'm planning on with this thread is to document the fruiting of two more quart jars of wbs, as well as my 1st adventures with agar. Bear in mind, I'm still half-assing things, no flowhood, no glovebox, no schmuv. Might change my mind about that in a bit.

Its been about 3 months since that thread, and what I've done since then is observe those agar plates I made to gain a general idea of what they will do, if left alone. Will contams spontaneously appear? Will they dry out? what? ... as it was my first attempt in making up the agar plates and all. So very few contamed, and only after I took them out of the fridge, and out of the ziplock I was storing them in. The only problem observed was a good deal of condensation remained, like .5mL or so.

So I took 10 plates, peeled off the parafilm, and tilted the plate sideways opening the lid just a tiny lil bit to let the drips of water out. Followed by peroxide dipped tissue transfers and spore swipes of a few species, mostly old old prints from 4-5 years ago.

Granted, the plates that nothing happened on also ended up contamming, but out of 10 plates I have 4 with healthy mycellium growing.

P1010508.JPG

I'm stoked on the multispore of the galindoi, looks like there's sclerotia forming under the mycellium already! Also the tissue transfers of galindoi, you can see that this species is very resistant to contams, look at it repelling those chunks of trich!

So I've got some transfering and isolation to do with those plates, will update later on that progress...

Also, from that previous thread, all those old grain jars died, and the lcs didn't take off either for some reason. No matter, I still had a quart of wbs fully colonized and loaded with stones. So, I harvested the stones, and put the rest of the spawn into some chicken trays, lidded em for a week, then cased with verm/coir, gave a good spray, put polyfilled holes in the lids, and within a couple days, mushrooms!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010510.JPG
  • P1010509.JPG
  • P1010507a.jpg
  • P1010503.JPG
  • P1010505.JPG

Edited by Beast, 09 February 2009 - 05:11 PM.

• Freaky, nightflyer, psylocaria and 1 other like this

#2 lysergic

lysergic

Down on the Pharm

• Expired Member
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:45 PM

good luck dude :thumbup:

I'm telepathically sending you our good harvest vibes :meditate:
  • ChocolateStarfish likes this

#3 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:56 PM

Neat project Beast..!
Pretty good for open air..Are u going to try and transfer the infected plate or watch the battle..?

#4 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:40 PM

I guess I haven't decided as of yet... I was thinking I've watched the battle long enough. Seems to me I can do both, transfer some of those pieces out that haven't come into direct contact, and leave the others to see what happens. The pan cyan myc is definitely getting moved, and I'd like to try and get some isolates from that multispore plate of the ps. galindii, but the shitake tissue xfer seems to be doing good, I'd about given up on it then pow!, no visible contams so i'll let it grow out a bit more then transfer some bits to new plates as well as perhaps a jar or two.

Hopefully this next round of plates won't have so much condensation, not sure what it was that cause it in the first place. Maybe just need to ante up on the agar.

As for the current set of fruits, I'm guessing the small size is due to lack of nutrients as I didn't spawn to anything. As the sclerotias that I've found have the seeds they are growing in, like within them sometimes, I'm a little wary of growing sclerotia in any sort of dung. lol. Dunno why that is, we eat the mushrooms that grow off the dung..

This is an interesting species, with both sclerotia as well as fruitbodies being produced. Seems that the fruits are often growing from sclerotia. And that sclerotia production continues, even if the majority of sclerotia is harvested b4 spawning to a tray. Haven't tried not harvesting the sclerotia yet. Should be interesting to see what if any strain variations appear out of the multispore, assuming I'm able to get it that far.

#5 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:15 PM

So, here we are a week later, Lysergic and Mydarling, thank you for the good harvest vibes, they came through and then some!

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010516a.jpg
  • P1010518a.jpg
  • P1010514a.jpg
  • P1010511.JPG
  • P1010512a.jpg

• buteo likes this

#6 lysergic

lysergic

Down on the Pharm

• Expired Member
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:49 PM

Those look ready to go! :eusa_danc:greenboun

#7 mycowarrier

mycowarrier

former blockhead

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,559 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:59 PM

Nice work and reseach Beast. Glad to see someone else that has found those rotisery chicken containers to be great Micro-grow boxes. I save all mine for the same.

#8 buteo

buteo

Imbicilzzzz

• OG VIP
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:13 PM

AWESOME!!!!

#9 Shroomette

Shroomette

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:34 PM

Those are looking awesome. Great job!:eusa_danc

#10 vinz

vinz

mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:16 PM

damn beast those are some pretty looking mushrooms!!! how hard would you rate them in terms of growing?
:bow::bow::bow:

#11 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:25 PM

nice galindoi

#12 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:48 PM

:cacti::heartbeatThanks for the positive comments everyone! :heartbeat:cacti:

Vinz, I'd rate these as being pretty easy to grow. I wasn't planning on getting flushes like that. The tray on the left yielded 20 grams fresh mushrooms after those photos were taken (couldn't get the lid back on without mashing mushrooms). I was mainly interested in just harvesting stones from quart jars of spawn when I began my investigations into this species, but figured why not? with going ahead and trying to get mushrooms too. I bet I get another good harvest of sclerotia from the trays after its all said and done, too.

Those two trays are just the colonized wild bird seed that was left over from harvesting sclerotia from a single quart jar, that was about 6 months old. (the jar I harvested sclerotia from 3 months earlier had less sclerotia but not by much) I spread the spawn out in the trays, and let them mend with normal lids that only have a little hole up top, for about a week or so, mabye two. They were looking kinda ugly and had a bit of mycopiss I drained off the side when I cased them and added the polyfilled holes to the lids, then gave them a good spray. Had fruits within days. The casing layer is a mix of vermiculite and coir, btw. Kept at room temp, no special setting, my thermostat is usually below 70 and often a window open... no special container either, other than the rotisery chicken containers, often they spend a day stuffed into some cabinet when company is over :reb:

Yeah, twisted and lifted and the fruits came right off, made a new thin casing layer over the top of everything and gave it a light spray. We didn't harvest the other tray, not enough to block the lid getting put back on ;)

#13 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:01 AM

beast, if u incubate your plates upside down, the condensation will collect on the lid instead :)

and those look like pans!!!!!! cool looking mushrooms. it's neat that this species makes both sclerotia and fruits at the same time. i wouldn't eat sclerotia grown in poo though, either :drk:

#14 vinz

vinz

mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:21 AM

oh shit! so the seeds you used are "after harvest"?! oh man im definitely going to try this.. the last batch of stones i made i just threw away all the grass seed! i have several bags going in at a couple of months old already.. once it hits 6+months i really really hope i remember this thread! haha did you have any way of harvesting it in a special 'clean' way? like did you use gloves or something?
:hippie:

#15 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:28 PM

Very nice! :thumbup:

I like that you recycled the chicken trays, lol

#16 Mandrake

Mandrake

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:55 PM

Wonderful shrooms! In my opinion those are cutest (If you can possibly call mushrooms cute) mushrooms I have ever seen! :cool:

I will most definately be growing these when I get a chance!!!

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

#17 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:36 PM

Yep that's what I did, Vinz, but I didn't go out of my way to be clean.

I sorted the stones out with bare hands, no gloves, though I'm sure I washed my hands sometime soon before that...

I even left the spawn sitting in a open bowl for a few hours...

And other than the boiled water used to initially hydrate the coir brick, the casing layer of coir and verm was unpasteurized and applied by ungloved hands.

#18 vinz

vinz

mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:33 PM

:thumbup:
thats really good to hear beast! lol
love the grow!

#19 teesus

teesus

numb

• Free Member
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:08 AM

I sorted the stones out with bare hands, no gloves, though I'm sure I washed my hands sometime soon before that...

I even left the spawn sitting in a open bowl for a few hours...

the same i did and it worked. i think atl#7 is the most contam resistent mushroom i have ever worked with.
your tray looks very healthy!

#20 Indonesia

Indonesia

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 406 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:28 AM

nice work Beastmaster!

I am new to ATL #7 and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind taking a look at a pic of mycelium running on agar plates and let me know what u think. I just want to make sure it is mycelium.. lol.

Since this pic my foaf transfered healthy mycelium from one of the plates into other plates, and left one original plate to make sclerotia b4 transfer. Foaf is now seeing a tiny brown chunk (hopefully sclerotia) in one section of a plate and thinking about transferring.

I am wondering what culturing route to take if foafs objective is ultimately stones first, and fruit secondary? Better to clone a fruit or better to isolate stone producing substrains?

Attached Thumbnails

• 01-03-09_1457.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!