53 replies to this topic

#21 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:34 PM

Yep, that looks like mycellium to me. :dance:

It seems to produce sclerotia right off the bat in the petri dish, so lumpy stuff under the mycellium that is a sort of caramel brown color is what that is.

The stuff that I've been working with is a clone from a fruit. But it has been producing sclerotia just fine.

If you think about it, the genetic tissue from the stones would be the same as obtained from the fruits, given that this is already a culture from a clone.

It seems to me that the natural life cycle of a sclerotia producing mushroom is to both produce sclerotia as well as fruitbodies with spores. Keeping a clone of yourself hidden in the cellar is no way to spread your genes, or contribute to your species' gene pool, but it is a good backup incase you get plowed by a truck or eaten by a slug, and that's basically what sclerotia is. So maybe the sclerotia is a way of coming back the next year, like a perennial? This would also explain the contam resistance, as the mushroom would need to develop such a trait to survive year to year, rather than relying on spore distribution to regenerate.

Sorry for the tangent, what was the question again? Oh yeah culturing route...

The sclerotia producing mushrooms are pretty uncommon in the hobby cultivation. Questions such as yours are certainly worth experimenting around. Starting with multispore, you could try and isolate some mycellium in successive plates, then grow the various isolates out on some grain and then spawn to trays and fruit. Or harvest the stones first. There's a question.

• Does leaving the sclerotia in with the spawn influence fruiting activity for heavier flushes? Or does removing the spawn have that effect?
So then you might find that one of your isolates maybe produces stones better than another, or maybe one fruits more prolifically. Once you've got fruitbodies as well, you can take clones from both large stones as well as large fruits and see if you can get some better results on your subsequent harvests.

• Another question sclerotia growers ponder is what influences stone production? A hard, non-nutritive surface? So then does putting pieces of plastic or glass into the spawn cause the formation of additional sclerotia?
Just like any other species, the possibility of domestication and strain development exists. Maybe someday, just like with P. cubensis, we will be seeing albinos or super stones or who knows?
  • tcg likes this

#22 vinz

vinz

mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:03 PM

hey beast did you rehydrate the wbs substrate in any way before you cased it?
  • doobydoobydoo likes this

#23 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:17 PM

:thumbup: beast, that's the best/most informative info i've been able to find on sclerotia here (in my albeit limited searches). sclerotia perplex me. thanks for the tid bits :)

#24 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:21 PM

vinz: I didn't rehydrate the wbs until after I cased it. It sat in the bowl, open air for a few hours while I hung out in chat, and weighed up the sclerotia, sorry don't remember how much I harvested a couple hundred grams or so...

Spread the stuff out in the two trays, put the lids on and it sat there for a week at least. I'm just a slacker I guess. Wait, what I mean to say is that I'm testing the neglect, and contam resistance of this strain, perhaps due to my 'lifestyle'.

So anyways, I think I mentioned the casing mixture, but once I spread it out on the mended and mycopissed mycellium, I gave it a real good spray down with a mister, plus the casing itself was at field capacity.

mydarling: :bow: I'm honored by your compliment, :bow: certainly there's more comprehensive info around here. :bow:

#25 vinz

vinz

mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:04 AM

thanks beast! i agree with darling here :)
this thread has very good info on sclerotia and the mushroom that grows off it! hell yeah! :thumbup:

#26 boomershroom

boomershroom

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:29 AM

Good job man those look prime.

#27 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:48 AM

Well, I'm glad we're all learning something then Posted Image

There are a few tidbits in the archives about sclerotia production (just follow the glossary link), but its all geared around Psilocybe mexicana. Still some good advice in there, to include the use of popcorn (would be easier to spot grains in the stones), as well as dunking the grain after harvesting the stones and returning the grains to the jar for more flushes of stones. I wonder about jar size as well. Decreasing area to volume ratio might influence more stone production, as they seem to like to form against glass or the casing layer, reportedly.

Could be different species produce sclerotia differently, however. There's some pretty massive stones in those archived threads :bow:

:meditate:

#28 seedlessstinky1

seedlessstinky1

Stinks

• Expired Member
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:12 AM

Extremely interesting mushroom. They sure do resemble a pan when grown to a mature shroom. Very shiny too. Potency report tonight?:teeth:

#29 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:41 PM

The jury is still out on that...

I've eaten 4 and 7 grams of stones, and those were on par with similar amounts of cubensis and ps cyanescens that I've experimented with in the past.

Two major differences:
  • I've found cubensis to be more 'loopy' - I'm more likely to get pinned to the chair/couch feeling like my soul is getting spun around on the inside of a sphere of death.
  • With the heavy doses of sclerotia, myself and companions(took about half as much as me) all reported feeling like 'we were drinking from a cosmic firehose of love'. the other descriptive: 'standing under a waterfall of cosmic love'. I've done ecstacy a couple times, and though its been a few years, and this wasn't as intense as that, I'd say it was a very similar sensation. Not as speedy though, if you turned on the techno I'd probably not start auto dancing :dance:
With the fruitbodies, that one tray yielded 19 grams of fresh mushrooms.

They dry out fast, no dessicant or fan. Within just a couple hours, I'd lost about 5 grams of weight. I estimated a 5 gram dose (which I suspect would be about .5 if that once dry), and put it in some soup:

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1232840932

I played Left 4 Dead for the duration of the trip. Things got kinda intense, that's a well made game, lots of dischordant environmental sounds, plus Zombie hordes!! lol Stuff was moving if I looked at carpet or wood panel, but I wasn't getting taken away on any trips. I did have some weird time displacement stuff happen when i'd get up and move, go look in the mirror and see if I can see inside the giant pupils, etc.

The next night, a friend was over to visit, walked/jogged 6 miles in a nicotiene fit (he was on day 2 of trying to quit cigs after like 15 yrs of smoking packs a day). So I fixed up some broccoli beef stirfry and rice, and chopped up the remaining mushrooms and added them in during the final bit of cooking. Friend was a little trepidatious as his last trip was no fun, being in the presence of a Tweaker while tripping is almost as bad as being a tweaker, ime. I reassured him that we were only eating about .7 grams apiece, assuming we get same ratio, and that it should be very mild.

We had a great evening of watching adult swim and playing darts. Dude's dart accuracy was up like 200% like putting all three darts in the bull, etc. I attributed it to him being in starvation must kill cig and get what his body needs type of mode, but like TM theorizes in Food of the Gods, small doses of psilocybin increase awareness, which could have been a contributing factor towards human evolution. Either way dude was killing me on darts, though come to think of it I won most of the games, he'd start off with a killer lead and then I'd catch up. After all, I had psilocybin enhanced reflexes too. ;)

Yesterday he was commenting on what a great lil psychedelic session we had, no carted off to trippy dimensions echoing tweaker ramblings, just some cool wavies, and a pleasant feeling, and a good time. He was still off the cigarettes, laughing about the 5 lil threads of tobacco he found next to an ashtray that he's been saving, lol.

:dance:

Attached Thumbnails

• dinner and an adventure all rolled into ones.jpg

• tcg likes this

#30 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:48 AM

So, I never got around to doing anything else after my last post. But the mushrooms went ahead and flushed again anyways! :amazed:
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1232433120
Also the second tray that was just starting last week probably should have been picked a few days ago, there's some uglies in there. They do seem a little dry, but weight at harvest was half that of the 1st tray. Bioassay is underway so we'll see how a slightly heavier dose is.
:cacti:
Anyways, here's some pics, I know how tedious reading things is...
The first pic is from the tray that had less fruits on it last week. The two after that are of the tray that I harvested from last week and haven't touched since.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010539a.jpg
  • P1010532.JPG
  • P1010538a.jpg
  • P1010536a.jpg

#31 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:25 AM

As I removed the casing layer ,I found then middle had a 1" piece of trich growing in there. I guess this species isn't totally immune to the mean green :(

Anyways, as I was removing the infected stuff and the old casing layer, I found a bunch of sclerotia! go figure, lol. I didn't know what to do, so I just removed the obvious ones that were sticking up into the casing layer or near the contam and patched the thing back together, recased it and put it to bed with a good spraydown.

27 grams of stones! ugly lil bastids eh! There's still some in there, and I haven't even touched that other tray! I was so excited I just had to come in here and post about it, lol.
:eusa_danc

Man, I'm really torn. Will removing the stones influence further flushes or is leaving them in the better thing to do. Guess I'll find out...
P1010542.jpg

#32 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:19 AM

this is just so friggin cool beasty thanks for sharin these wonderful breakhrough experiments with us! :)
being outta the loop and in and out of hospitals for months ive all but missed this variety altogether!
youre representation here has sparked a flame in me...u know the one :D i gotta check these out under the scope for SURE :D
be good fam

#33 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:39 PM

sounds like a very pleasant trip from these guys. i'd like to try them someday, the cubes can wear me out from time to time....

#34 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:16 PM

Yeah these aren't anywhere near as exhausting as cubensis. I generally feel rejuvenated the next day.

P1010548.JPG
Harvested another 15 grams (wet) from the first tray. Left the stones in there, recased and sprayed. The other tray that had the trich in it that I removed the stones from is still in recovery mode. I'm starting to think the sclerotia are where the fruits come from. Perhaps in order to start fruiting again, the mycellium needs to form more sclerotia/nodules?

If you observe from the top view, the mushrooms seem to be originating from some common points. But when picking the mushrooms, out of that whole tray there was only one cluster, one of the newer ones, that was actually a cluster. All those other bunches are just closely grouped.

I've noticed that the base of the stems of these fruit bodies tend to have a tiny little root off the end, I think this reaches down to the sclerotia, as that is the true base of the cluster. This is my theory, nothing more, I have yet to dig up a cluster and observe the connections between it and the fruitbodies.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010547.JPG
  • P1010546.JPG

Edited by Beast, 02 February 2009 - 03:47 PM.

#35 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:24 PM

These things just keep on going. This big flush is on the tray that I dug out the trich and 30 grams of sclerotia from. Thought it was going to be delayed. Pretty sure I soaked both of em pretty good, but the other tray seems to have dried out a bit.

I'm starting to think as long as I keep up on the watering I should be able to get quite a few stones and fruits from these trays.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1233617280

:dance: :dance:

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010568a.jpg
  • P1010569a.jpg
  • P1010570a.jpg
  • P1010566a.jpg
  • P1010567a.jpg

#36 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:15 PM

nicely done!

#37 Umbo

Umbo

Mycology is Yourcology

• Free Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:24 PM

Yeah really informative thread, thank you, love stuff about sclerotia.
I imagine that stones would keep awhile in the fridge, but
do you know Beastmaster, (or anyone) if you can dehydrate
them and rehydrate them at a later date, plant them and get
more flushes of mushrooms? :bow:

#38 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:34 PM

do you know Beastmaster, (or anyone) if you can dehydrate
them and rehydrate them at a later date, plant them and get
more flushes of mushrooms?

Well, there have been people who've revived old dessicated mycellial tissue on agar. ...And that's basically what sclerotia is, even more so as it seems to be designed to be a genetic storage point for perennial flushes of mushrooms?

The do dry out, and they can be rehydrated. When it comes to dosing dry sclerotia, its almost essential. I put em in a half pint jar with some water and mead and let em sit for about 6 hours or so, by which time they were not as tough and could be chomped and gulped down. The resultant water/wine mix with floaties of verm/wbs bits was not the best thing to wash it down but it felt more magical than the stones. Probably was. Cold water(w/ 15% alc) extract anyone?

I've been thinking, since its about time to refresh the substrate in a few of my terrariums that maybe planting some sclerotia in there with the worm castings and coir could produce some appreciable results...

#39 MrChen

MrChen

Rocky Mountain High

• Expired Member
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:53 PM

Very well done Beast. Inspiring to say the least! :bow:

#40 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts