#42 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:06 AM

I originally pointed this out in a thread awhile ago.
The mushroom was named after Mr. Carlos Galindo Arias and his family, who did work for Guzman.
It wouldn't make much sense to take the O out of Galindo if your trying to honor his name. I believe this was an error on Guzmans part.

It is one of the many east coast active mushroom descriptions i have worked on.. I should add some of the sclerotia info..Thanks beast!

Psilocybe galindoi Posted Image
Scientific classification Kingdom: Fungi
Division: Basidiomycota
Class: Agaricomycetes
Order: Agaricales
Family: Strophariaceae
Genus: Psilocybe
Species: P. galindoi
Binomial name Psilocybe galindoi
Guzman Nova Hedwigia Posted Image
Psilocybe galindoi mycological characteristics: Posted Image
gills on hymenium Posted Image
Posted Image
cap is conical or campanulate
Posted Image
hymenium is adnate
Posted Image
stipe is bare

Posted Image
ecology is saprotrophic
Posted Image
edibility: psychoactive

Psilocybe galindoi is a psychedelic mushroom in the section Mexicana, having psilocybin and psilocin as its main active compounds. It is also known as P. galindii, the mushroom was named in honor of Mr. Carlos Galindo Arias and his family by Dr. Gastón Guzmán‎.
Contents

1 Description

Description

• Cap: 1.9 — 2 cm in diameter, conic to campanulate or umbonate, with a very slight papilla, glabrous, even to striate when moist, hygrophanous, brown or yellowish brown fading to pale ochraceous or straw color. Staining blue-green where injured.
  • Gills: Adnate, brown to dark purple brown, with whitish edges.
  • Stipe: 5 — 6.5 cm x 1 — 2 mm, equal, hollow, no annulus, reddish brown in the middle, darker towards the base with long rhizomorphic strands. Veil inconspicuous, except for some white appressed silky fibrils on the pileus.
  • Spores: Dark purple gray in deposit. (8.1)9.6 — 12(14) x 7.1 — 8 µm, subrhomboid in face view or subellipsoid in side view(around 1 µm), yellowish brown, thick walled with a broad germ pore.
  • Odor: Farinaceous
  • Taste: Farinaceous
  • Microscpoic Features: Basidia: 18 — 24 x 7.2 — 9.6 µm, hyaline, 4-spored, ventricose. Pleurocystidia: 14.4 — 21 x 7 — 8.4 µm, hyaline, fusoid-ampullaceous, with short necks.

Distribution and habitat

Psilocybe galindoi is found growing gregarious in soil, at elevation, in tall grass in or near Pinus-Quercus forests in Mexico, most recently in Georgia.

External links

References

• Guzman, G. The Genus Psilocybe: A Systematic Revision of the Known Species Including the History, Distribution and Chemistry of the Hallucinogenic Species. Beihefte zur Nova Hedwigia Heft 74. J. Cramer, Vaduz, Germany (1983) [now out of print].

• doobydoobydoo likes this

#43 vwguy

vwguy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 425 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:08 PM

oh man those stones look nice. I guess beastmaster i kind of answered my own question those are what i had in amsterdam.. Oh man i love them. The only way i can discribe my trip is like the poster at spencers with the head and all of the colors exploding from it. thats the way everything looked.. those are nice. i read that you can kinda polish them up a bit. do they darken up or is that a differant kind?

also while i was there in amsterdam they kept their stones in small plastic boxes in the refriderator

#44 manjotar

manjotar

Disciple of Boognish

• Expired Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

i've never thought of using a chicken box like that! i get one of those damn things every other week! think i'll be saving them from now on...

oh yeah, the sclerotia is pretty damn cool too :)

#45 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:17 PM

archive material

lol,just wanted to do the same thing... :thumbup:

#46 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:56 PM

Damn beast! :bow: Luv that shit!

#47 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:30 PM

So, other than that first post I bet some of the more astute of you have been wondering where the agar fun is at? Thus, my friends, I do intend to deliver on that promise, and here it is, pictures being worth more than I care to write at this time on the subject, I'll get with the gusto: (click on pics for larger view)

First I'll show the plates that I started this thread with.

Ok, here's the shitake clone I started at the beginning of this thread, the cloned tissue turned dark brown and now looks like somethings growing on it, though the rest of the plate looks really healthy.

How it looked starting out: Posted Image

Couple close ups of the festering wound:

Also, my first tissue clone of the Psilocybe galindoi var georgia(atl#7) has been doing what appears to be a pretty effective job of fighting off those green contams:

How it looked a month ago: Posted Image

How it looks now,
top view:

Remember I'd said I had a problem with wet plates, P1010598a.jpg well, I've moved the remaining plates from the fridge to sitting out on a counter in the kitchen, still in the ziplocks, and they seem to have dried up just a tad. So I went ahead and did a few more transfers, though I'm not sure what's what, I guess I was stoned and figured I'd remember. LMAO, what was I thinking?
I guess this is the only one I'm unsure about: P1010591a.jpg Its either a shitake or an oyster or maybe a hedgehog.

This one is definitely an oyster, I just don't remember if I did one or two, and there's multiple mushrooms in the fridge that could be culprits. Looks like its trying to escape, pressing against the lid:

Finally, I've saved the best for last, I also did a new tissue transfer of some new fruits from the 2nd or 3rd flush from the chicken trays, and look at that its growing a mushroom already!

:greenboun :greenboun

All in all, I'd say this has been a very exciting first attempt with agar plates, much less contams than I expected, and alot more successful growths of mycellium than I expected! Just goes to show that the real gems on this site are to be found in the archives/vaults and a little time, a little studying, a little effort to follow instructions as written and success can be had! Thanks BuckarooBanzai! :bow:

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010603a.jpg
  • P1010604a.jpg
  • P1010597a.jpg
  • P1010596a.jpg
  • P1010595a.jpg
  • P1010594a.jpg
  • P1010602a.jpg
  • P1010601a.jpg
  • P1010590b.jpg
  • P1010590a.jpg

• Rhyno likes this

#48 vinz

vinz

mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:13 PM

damn beast that is some really nice plates you have there! cant wait to see you work out those clones! :bow::bow::bow:

#49 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:24 AM

Awesome!
I need to update the cap size for galindoi, Guzman lists it at 1.9 - 2.0cm. lol
What are the largest and smallest cap sizes you are getting Beast?

#50 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:24 PM

Well, these chicken trays only have the original wbs from the jar as the substrate - those caps are probably averaging right at 1 - 1.5 cm.

However, on my first fruiting attempt, I used a combo of composted manure, castings, and coir (also the substrate was easily 2x as deep as the chicken trays), and most of the caps on those fruits were 3-4 centimeters. (see below link)

http://mycotopia.net...6084-post5.html

Lends credence to these not being the same Psilocybe galindois as the one's found in Mexico, imho. (passing through texas on way from mexico to georgia enlarged them as everything is bigger in texas? -less sure about the why)
  • dice likes this

#51 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:20 PM

Thanks.
1.9 - 2.0 cm is an extremely narrow size range for any species, and is quite ridiculous actually.
I'm not sure what Guzman what thinking on this one, but its not accurate.
I think workman did a good job id'ing this as galindoi.

#52 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:40 PM

Yeah a tenth of a centimeter is not very forgiving. Guzman should know that and Im sure he does. Maybe it is a typo. I've read some of those old documents and they are chocked full of typos.

I do think most mycologist know that there are always those shrooms that are outside the average. I mean cubies can be from a couple of centimeters (or smaller) to 20 or so and even larger. Surely it is the average that is taken and written down for documentation.

#53 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:16 PM

Cultivated mushrooms can be much larger than those found in nature. All wild prints of this species I've seen are less than 1cm in diameter.

#54 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:47 PM

So... you're telling me that on my very first attempt at growing this mystery mushroom I was able to obtain mushrooms that were easily 3x as big as they would have occurred naturally in the wild?!?

Killer! :headbang:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!