Fisana

- - - - -

Incubator Cabinet

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:36 AM

This is how an old metal cabinet became a new incubator.
There are going to be metal racks put in for shelving.
The heater is a space heater with its own thermostat.
Crappy paint job on it but whats that matter? Not much I'm guessing.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2005_1109Image0007.JPG
  • 2005_1109Image0008.JPG
  • 2005_1109Image0005.JPG
  • 2005_1109Image0003.JPG

#2 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:37 AM

Cool freaky! I bet you could even insulate that with some ductwork insulation and some stick pins. Maybe even some spray on stuff like truck bed liner. Both are mainly for sound but they will insulate too. It would keep that heater from running so much.

#3 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:42 AM

Very nice, freak. So the space heater has a thermostat or will it be hooked up to a timer?

#4 shobimono

shobimono

Chat Admin

• Free Member
  • 833 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:26 AM

A space heater produces dry heat.
How are you going to keep the space heater from sucking moisture out of the things you are incubating?

#5 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:20 PM

Well, I've done a 5 day run with it. The humidity in the top is staying at 60%.
With the thermostat on the heater, its been coming on and off on its own about 1 time every hour, hour and a half. I've also set a timer for it so it can run 12 hours with its own thermostat, then its off for the other 12 hours. It holds the heat for that 12 hours of off time which impressed me.

The inside is insulated with the exterior housing type insulation. Seems to be working great, the outside of the metal isn't warm but the inside is nice. That truck bed spray lining would make awesome insulation, but home insulation is easier and cheaper lol.

Shobi, I thought about the dry heat of it, but it doesn't seem to be an issue yet. I haven't noticed any of the jars drying out since they've been in there.
Whats nice is that heater's thermostat only allows the heater to be on and heating for 5 - 10 mins. max so it isn't blowing a lot of dry heat all the time.Plus I find the little gaps left in the door help to circulate the air inside.

#6 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:48 PM

Sounds like you are set freaky. Nice work!!! Gotta get me one of those. It would be so much more organized than filling my wacky room with shoeboxes full of jars and stuff.

#7 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 10 November 2005 - 02:07 PM

Thanks!!!! Chosen One, I got sick of running out of room in my cooler, and other incubator tub and with the airports I've been adding on the lc's they were too tall etc. So I wanted a large incubator that can hold everything, even spawned substrates.

We got lucky with this, the peeps we bought our house from left it in the basement. We moved it out in the garage when we moved in and finally we've found the perfect job for it :) I'll never be able to fill this thing lol.

Those heaters with thermostats are really nice too. This was also an old freebie find. Just cleaned it out and made sure it worked. Now I don't have to do constant monitering in this big cabinet and I can use my heatbomb in my pan cyan fruiting chamber to help bring that to 80 degrees.

#8 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 10 November 2005 - 02:09 PM

Ohhhh, and the bottom was rusted out really bad, so we just cut a 3/4 inch piece of ply wood and fit it into the bottom on the outside and painted with Killz all of the inside and outside after sanding most of the rust off.

#9 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 10 November 2005 - 03:33 PM

You are just too handy! Come on up and visit me sometime........Lol, I gotta stone tile floor I'm running way behind on!

#10 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 10 November 2005 - 04:43 PM

:) As a kid I used to do crafty work with my dad all the time. I spent a lot of time doing cool stuff with him.

I've ceramic tiled a floor with him, but never worked with stone :D Stone sounds way more fun though :rasta:

#11 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:07 PM

Okay, here are some pix to share more details.
At goodwill I got this unused, brand new digital thermometer. It is for meat and came with a probe. It works excellent, has an alarm and shows a memory of max and min temps. I love it, magnets hold it right to the cabinet. Love Goodwill!
The heater is an old one in good working condition with the thermostat. As this has been running, the times I posted above are now different. It runs with the heat on for up to one minute heat time. Then it stays off for 1 hour. The pix show the probe, high and low temps. It kicks on at about the 79-80 mark. Then after running gets to the 82-83 mark and holds this while slowly drops down towards end of hour. I still have the timer on it to run 12 hours/off 12 hours.
I can live with the 3-5 degree temp. differential.
And nothing has been drying out so I'm glad about that.
I'm using my cart until the shelving is ready.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2005_1111Image0008.JPG
  • 2005_1111Image0005.JPG
  • 2005_1111Image0009.JPG
  • 2005_1111Image0001.JPG
  • 2005_1111Image0007.JPG

#12 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:25 PM

There better be some dixielands in that incubator, girl! :D

#13 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:25 PM

Looks damn good, by the way!

#14 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:27 PM

;) there the 3 qts. on the right :) Showed life at 2 days ms. Thanks Dial8!!!!

#15 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:30 PM

*Dial8 rubs his hands together while a shit eating grin slowly slithers across his face.*

#16 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:32 PM

:D :D

ohhh thats a dixie lc on the cart too :)
along with pe6 and pan cyan Goliath :D
I've been having too much fun lately :)

#17 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:36 PM

Okay freaky, got me a little chair dance going too!:dance:
Love this thread and these pics! :loveeyes:

#18 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:58 PM

:greenboun :cacti: :dance:

Get down with it TCO!!!!!

And the pf strains will be going in tonight, well there are 2 in there now, but they are hiding out lol.

Glad ya like the cabinet. Its a lot better than dealing with water, etc. And Tubs just weren't cutting it. I wanted an incubator I could put everything in, even spawn runs and casings waiting for the fc.
Its still a bit of a work in progress, but for the most part running fine. I like it.
An old fridge or freezer is a great incubator too. And they come insulated which is more of a bonus. But for me, the only cost was the Killz, and that was a left over can, and the thermometer which was $1. So its a great budget build for me.

#19 EdibleSpirits

EdibleSpirits

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 01:32 AM

Hey freak on those airports what are you using for the injection spots are those rubber things like they have in the hospital on thier vile blood things?
let me know where to get some if they are.

#20 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 15 November 2005 - 08:37 AM

They are self healing injector plugs. Someone sent those to me for some prints. I'm not sure where they got them. They work really nice and are pc'able. I'll do a search and see if they are sold anywhere.

For me, it makes using these with the airports more of a stable place than just silicone to hold the airport. Just me though, lol.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!