34 replies to this topic

#21 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:43 PM

:cool:

Congratulations! Watching pins develop never gets old and you never stop doing the pin dance when they arrive.

After the third flush (or the fourth if the third was still nice and big) and after dunking the sub, tear the whole thing to pieces and put it back in the tub. For some reason that usually stimulates a few more to pop and they tend to be really large. Mainly you want to try that technique when the sub appears otherwise exhausted (but it not contaminated; DO NOT do this if there is any obvious contamination!).
  • kcmoxtractor likes this

#22 meku

meku

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 346 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:27 PM

hello again
My darling :
I did your technique (dunking) and it works very well but stay tuned because i think i have a new idea to make the dunkig a very very easy and no hassle .
will post photos when i try this idea...
Yes the monotubs are great indeed my new passion :) , but i bought a greenhouse and later will be looking in to that ...construct a full automated greenhouse to do trys and logs ...
But , back to the present , the tub is dunking in the morning will do a casing using 70%\30% verm coco and will PC it for 30 mn.
As for the future again going full force , 3 monotubs whit popcorn, but i think i´m introducing 2 new elements in the sub.
first element is pollen from bees ... and second will be a full aged horse manure i bought like 70 liters 3.90 euros will use some gypsum( i got the dry wall stuff )and do maybe a mix whit coco,varum , worm casting and horse manure.(i´m low in worm castings).
I have also straw but i think later will going to experiment whit that.
What do you think?
Got 3 jars in colonization (1.2 kgs), i think it will be enough for 3 small tubs like the one i was using.

#23 meku

meku

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 346 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:26 PM

as i promisse here is my ideia to add to the dunking technique of my darling:
Bought a plastic screen, 1cm holes, cut the screen in a manner to mount a box(will be the bottom of the monotub where the sub is) , mount the box whit those plastic things don know the name lol.
Put the black plastic in the tub put this "screen box" fill it up whit substract and spawn and let it colonize
.When full colonized put in fruiting conditions ,after picking the fruits of your labor
it is time to dunk .
To do so , just lift the screen box and the sub will stay always in one pice just like a deep fry net....
Do as my darling said (dunking )when is time to take the sub of the water is simple just lift the screen box again let it drain and put it in fruiting (dont forget to use a new black plastic and clean the tub )conditions for the second flush ....hope you will get the idea .
Going to try this in my next monotub .
Here´s some pics ,doing the box:
PLUR TO ALL OF YOU an stay safe

Attached Thumbnails

• i.jpg
  • j.jpg
  • h.jpg
  • g.jpg
  • f.jpg
  • e.jpg
  • d.jpg
  • b.jpg
  • c.jpg
  • a.jpg

#24 pihop

pihop

Poohead

• Expired Member
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:43 AM

Looks like a good way to dunk.
I'm still looking into dunking the cake in the original tub since my tub is 70L (quarts) so i will end up with a giant cake.

#25 meku

meku

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 346 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:26 AM

hello
pihop:
if you have a big big cake just add to the bottom of the box 2 or 3 hard plastic "rods" and tie up whit he same "plastic things "i use , and should be fine .
if you want can do that in the sides or even so big X crossing them(rods) an fix them in the bottom .
it will bring stability and hardness to the box and you will be fine .
imagine even the box bends whit the wait of the cake it will be in the same place, it cracks but it cracks in the same place more points to mush grow ehehe
Going to try this in my next 3 monotubs and i am shure it will do alright .
UPDATE to my 2 flush :
did a dunk 16 hours before i got the idea , th cake broke in 3 big pieces but i manage to put them again in the tub did a case 70%,30% verm \coco, PC it and case it was a little dry so i mist a bit the casing and fruit again whit 24\7 light temps are 64\65 F and 48 hours later see a little white again:).
Going to try construct a heat bomb whit a bottle of water and a aquarium water heater (saw this in a thread on myco but need to find it again )to see if i can boost the temps to 74 F i think it is ideal temp...
Stay safe an PLUR to all of you

#26 pihop

pihop

Poohead

• Expired Member
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:29 AM

meku

I was thinking I'd make a sturdy support frame to but in the bottom of the box.
Something like this:
Attached File  svampram.bmp   1.01MB   420 downloads

Then my thought was that i just lift the entire cake out and set it aside for a couple of moments while i clean out the tub. Then i was going to put a couple plastic 1/2" pipes in the bottom of the tub for the cake to rest on while dunking it. Also the pipes would help the water drain through the bottom after dunking.

#27 weeeeeee

weeeeeee

humanoid

• Expired Member
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:01 AM

that schematic you drew up for the lifting device i made on of those in the past only mine was a bit more complicated see i had this thought that the very center of my monotubs does not ever colonize so i made a little raised like inch and half area that was like 10 x 18 x 1.5 or something probably drilled holes in it all over made a handle in the center put some plastic grating like you said to fill in the area around the edges anyways i only made one of these to try out it works like a charm to dunk i fill the tub up then when i want to drain i just grab up my sub by the handle and drain

anyways that is a really good idea i personally think not really necessary though however

#28 pihop

pihop

Poohead

• Expired Member
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:14 AM

Thats a great idea weeeeeee. Will do with the middle handle instead.
I love building things that make stuff easier although it might not be necessary.^^

I'm also thinking I mightbuild the thing out of 1/2" PVC pipes and attach cloth or fine plastic mesh to the bottom of the frame ---> no need to put extra drain supports to the base when I'm done dunking.

#29 weeeeeee

weeeeeee

humanoid

• Expired Member
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:24 AM

how mine is made the wire grate sits up in the middle of the sub so that way at colonizes around it i just mix it with the thing in there so it gets through everywhere

#30 pihop

pihop

Poohead

• Expired Member
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:31 PM

Could you draw a diagram?:eusa_eh:
I think i get what you mean but I just want to make sure.

#31 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:33 PM

love all the dunking ideas and diagrams in this thread. :cool: keep it coming!

#32 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:12 AM

For building stuff out of PVC, here are a couple of fittings that you can't find in stores but are VERY handy.

Three-way corner fitting:
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1233407272

And the 4-way 'shelf' fitting:
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1233407272

I get those from Aquatic Ecosystems, a company out of Florida that has a catalog that will blow your mind. www.aquaticeco.com

Attached Thumbnails

• PPF16_cmyk.jpg
  • PPF17_cmyk-1.jpg

#33 meku

meku

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 346 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:41 AM

hello update after dunking the tub, i cased 70%\30% verm \ coco hidrated and PC it well ,is day 2 since i took pics i think is goig good today will take more photos , to another upadate
PLUR and stay safe

Attached Thumbnails

• cl1.jpg
  • cl2.jpg
  • tubg.jpg

#34 meku

meku

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 346 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:44 PM

well is day 5 since dunking temps are finally 65 to 68 F stable ... i cased the tub vern\coco (see previous post) pics:
plur and stay safe

Attached Thumbnails

• d.jpg
  • e.jpg
  • c.jpg
  • a.jpg
  • b.jpg

#35 meku

meku

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 346 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:20 PM

hello. new update trich :(
today checked on the tub and bam trich on a part od the sub , cutted the part of the sub was contam and saw underneath the motive of the contam ... there was water .....so under the substract betwen the sub and the plastic , so cutted the part of the sub and put dry verm to sop the excess water... hope the sub last to another flush lets see....
pic

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!