• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 446 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:48 PM

thanks beast! i definately appreciate the input and ill keep it in mind for the future

#22 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:36 AM

problem is
glass traps heat,
infrared can go in jar heating it up
but it cannot escape-
a bit like how a car parked in the sun, windows rolled up,
gets so much hotter than outside air temp.
so prolonged exposure to direct sunlight
is a thermal problem,
it's not so much the UV though, it's the IR part of the spectrum.

#23 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 446 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:49 AM

thanks hip. i believe my jars are safe (this is the first time they had been exposed to the direct sunlight for photography), but i definitely appreciate the input and the concern. like i said, they spend their lives in an incubator. it was just so sunny i wasnt sure if the pics taken in shade would show clearly so i took some in the light. but they all turned out. i hope everyone enjoys them!
ps. if youre interested in trying this species, i urge you to go the route of the lc. its easy and economical! heres a link to the way i do my lc lids.
http://mycotopia.net...lture-lids.html

#24 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 446 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:46 PM

here are a few pics of some stones just harvested. i plan to try these guys out tonight. this is a sister jar of the first jar in this thread, except this one has developed for another month and a half longer than the first one.
ps. this jar is from ms, not lc like the last few pics

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo_032009_005.jpg
  • Photo_032009_006.jpg
  • Photo_032009_007.jpg
  • Photo_032009_003.jpg
  • Photo_032009_004.jpg
  • Photo_032009_002.jpg
  • Photo_032009_001.jpg

#25 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 446 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

tried em out last night. definitely like them more than cubes. if fact all who partook of the fruits last night did. doses were 15 wet grams each. would rate it as equal to a half eight of cubes. thanks for the correct dosage estimation hip and beast. this is exactly why i know i can count on my fellow topiates!!! thanks a million to every one here! in the words of my friend last night "a whole new world has been opened to me!"

#26 Indonesia

Indonesia

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 406 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:49 AM

My foaf is wondering how many cc's of spore solution or lc was used for making the first jars, and if the lc is an isolate or multispore and also how many cc's of spore solution.

Good job with sclerotia growth:eusa_clap Impressive harvest.

Peace:rasta:

#27 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 446 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:10 PM

indo-the first jar shown, harvested on 1/30 was from ms - 1cc. same with the last one harvested on 3/20. same with the lc - made from 1cc spore solution. not an isolate but it seems to be producing very well anyway. all the rest of the jars are nocced with lc. the jars i knock with lc i usually aim for about 4 ccs per jar. thanks!
  • vinz likes this

#28 vinz

vinz

mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:31 PM

that is awesome that you guys loved them!
i have yet to try the ones i had before.. ended up giving them away to people who were interested.. just dont have my appetite for it yet :lol:
took me hours to harvest and clean my stones before.. a good way to get it really clean is to have running water go through the stones, that way you can easily remove the stuff sticking on to them and those tiny grass seeds in between.. also gives it a shiny golden look afterwards :thumbup:
great job here man!

#29 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 446 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:11 PM

vinz-the stones from the first jar harvested were dried and given to a friend also (who very much enjoyed them). we ate fresh stones from the second jar harvested and honestly i had an easier time eating these things than i have ever had eating mushrooms, wet or dry. when eating these things fresh, the texture helps them to crumble easily so i could swallow the broken up pieces like pills without really having to taste them and they didnt get stuck in my teeth! thats ++!!! u gotta try em vinz!!! lots of my inspiration for this project came from your threads! you'll love em!

#30 NotGuilty1

NotGuilty1

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

anyone know how long the jars should sit from noc to harvest? and how to harvest?

#31 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:02 PM

Hi NotGuilty1, Welcome to Mycotopia!

As for your questions, on average, the amount of time it takes the mycellium to fully colonize the jar is only a few weeks. After that you should start to see the stones forming against the side of the jar and be able to watch them grow over time, though I'd recommend trying to forget about them. Anywhere from 3-6 months would be good enough for some nice size stones to form.

As for harvesting, that's easy, use a spoon to break up the mass of mycellium and dump into a bowl or tray, then use your hands to sift through the material, the stones will be obviously different from the mycellium and grain. Mycellium is soft and has no real solid mass to it, and the grain is all of uniform size; on the other hand the stones should be about the size of large nuts, and very solid. Separating the stones from the grain and cleaning them up a bit is a fairly time consuming and tedious task, so pop a movie in the home theater system and clear a spot on the coffee table and get to work.

#32 NotGuilty1

NotGuilty1

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:00 AM

thanks beast. a buddy had a couple atl jars given to him, so he was curious about it

#33 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 446 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:28 AM

what beast said!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!