8 replies to this topic

#1 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:39 PM

I have seen things all over the net about using another tub to dunk your subs in. This is fine and works, but if all your tubs are full and the others need spawning. You have no extra tubs.
Keep some old gallon jugs or some type of drinks that you have from the store.
fill them with water and use those to weigh down your substrate under the water.
here i s something that works like a charm. use a few full gallon water jugs or some type of drink with a gallon or larger volume. use the black plastic from under the tub to reach it over your substrate . and place the jugs on top. then just fill the tub with water. the gallon jugs will keep the substrate submerged. screw all that adding another tub. then you have to clean the bottom and it gets messy. this way you can just take the jugs off once dunked. rinse them off then dump the water. simple as that.
but this is after you spray down the substrate with your sink spray nozzle.
scratching the surface with water using high pressure on your sink spray nozzle works like deep scratching a dry casing between flushes with a fork. only it works better. bc it rehydrates the casing with the Dunk as well and opens up pockets for those primordia that didn't have a chance first flush.
illustrations below.

using a sink spray nozzle to clean your substrate between flushes

1) it rehydrates the casing or fruiting surface if your not using a casing.

2) it clears all the gunk and most dead smaller pins off the substrate to make room for primordia that didn't cut it first flush.

3) it will help if you have matted mycelia it generally wakes it up and makes it fluffy white literally in a day and half.

4) it speeds up your recovery time between flushes. making you be able to have a 2nd flush in just a few days after your dunk. this dramatically helps your rotation if you have one. speeds things up real quick.

your idea that you want is to help all those primordia that didn't push hard enough first flush to mature for the next round of flushes.

although you can also have a completely new set of pins form in a week or so as well with some strains that are not heavy pinners.

but your best bet is to get a strain that has heavy dense pinsets. the primordia that don't mature will mature 2nd and 3rd flush if you use a sink spray nozzle. it really works well. makes all the difference.

Attached Thumbnails

• dunk2.jpg
  • dunk1.jpg

Edited by eatyualive, 28 February 2009 - 12:33 AM.

#2 Shmoo

Shmoo

google me

• Expired Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for the info eatyualive! Will definitely use this on my next tub.

#3 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:45 PM

bump

#4 G-Money

G-Money

Change is coming...

• Expired Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:32 AM

Do you patch the casing after spraying it off?

#5 G-Money

G-Money

Change is coming...

• Expired Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:33 AM

oops... after spraying and dunking I mean. no, but this isn't using a casing layer.

and ive seen people do it. using a thin casing layer with good results. so i think you can do it. usually when i flood a casing. i flood it. put it about 1/2" over the substrate. then give it 4 hours and dump the water.

#6 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:23 PM

oops... after spraying and dunking I mean. no, but this isn't using a casing layer.

and ive seen people do it. using a thin casing layer with good results. so i think you can do it. usually when i flood a casing. i flood it. put it about 1/2" over the substrate. then give it 4 hours and dump the water.

yep works really well. with pans too.yeah you can patch why not. i don't usually. but if you do, you can add a little dryer casing to soak up any excess water you have.

#7 G-Money

G-Money

Change is coming...

• Expired Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:36 PM

Thats odd. I didn't post that last part. Did your reply somehow merge with my post?

#8 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:58 PM

Thats odd. I didn't post that last part. Did your reply somehow merge with my post?

no. maybe you were posting in two windows and you posted in the wrong one. ive done that many times lol..

#9 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:33 PM

Hi Eatyualive,

I've got several questions on the thread you referred me to, on dunking casings. For black plastic, would you lay a trash bag over the top of the tub's surface, or...? The way to use the plastic is unclear to me... I fruited in tiered greenhouses.

Also, do you use the sink sprayer nozzle on the casings before dunking, or after? Or both?

Do you recase after the Dunk is complete?

What can you say about potential cross-contamination from combining them in one tub?

Is cooling them necessary? Your post makes it seem unnessary, but RR's tek, in the Vaults, mentions it. What about putting bags of ice in the tub?

Thanks,

Somaholic

1. no i would not lay a trash bag over the surface. the black plastic bag is just used to hold the substrate. it works to allow the moisture on the sides to drip underneath your substrate without causing any problems by dripping onto your substrate. it also helps in cleanup at the end. when you dunk you don't need to take your substrate out. you just flood the top of the substrate and submerge it under water. also i only spray before i dunk. after the dunk, i just pour out the water and put it in front of the light.

2. i don't use casings. but you can if your using a casing. id not go very deep like 1/8th inch if you have a casing already. and it may be better to just flood your casing and not disrupt it if you have a really good casing still present. if the casing is torn up anyway, and you have lots of pins and mush material. id hose it down with the sink spray nozzle.

3. don't combine them in one tub bc you don't want cross contamination. dunk with water jugs as shown above in individual tubs. you have less damage to your subs by not moving them around and believe me, moving it around is more work than you want to do.

4. cold shocking is unnecessary with cubes. if it were another type i may say it might be necessary depending on what your working with. im sure it would not hurt to put ice in there. but cold tap water works fine.

check out this link. it has some pictures in it with illustrations of what i do with the black plastic bags. they only go under the substtrate. i don't tape it or anything. i just tuck it to the side of the substrate. that way, when it contaminates. at the end, its easier to just flip the bag inside out with the cake in it and it doubles as a trash bag and just fill the rest up with trash.

clean tub with alc. put poly in.

https://mycotopia.ne...nd-single-tubs/

unwrap bag where its not open but your using the outside of the bag as the place where you put your substrate on. if you get the right bags usually you can just unfold it once and its perfect. other stupid bags like glad you have to unfold a few times.

then just dump the sub right on top. good illustrations in this thread.

https://mycotopia.ne...nd-single-tubs/

Edited by Sidestreet, 16 October 2016 - 11:44 AM.

• Dirteater likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!