I pretty much used Waylit's Pan Tek with a few exceptions and a few substitutions.
I did one 500ml wide mouth jar,and I used 5 of the Ball,8-ounce plastic freezer jam jars,I drilled one small hole in the center of there lids,and placed a piece of breathable tape over the small hole.
The recipe I used was as follows:
Fresh Cow Manure I collected this fall during my semilanceata hunts.The manure was leached,dried,shredded and bagged.
5 cups of finely shredded cow manure was allowed to soak over night in a mix of water and hydrated lime,apx 1 tsp of lime.There was no need to add bleach because the manure had previously been leached.
The following day the manure was rinsed,brought to field capacity,placed in a large bowl and mixed well with some hydrated lime,just a sprinkle.
5 cups of vermiculite was added to a separate bowl and brought to field capacity.
1 cup of Organic Brown Rice Flour was added to the vermiculite and mixed well.
The two bowls were combined and mixed well.
The 8-ounce jars were loaded with the mix,tampered down lightly to apx 1/4in from the bottom of the lid and a dry vermiculite layer was added to each jar.The jars lids were covered with foil and pressure cooked for one hour at 15 psi.This was the same for the 500ml jar.
Once the jars were cool,they were inoculated with a spore syringe.The lids of the 8 ounce jars were removed in a glove box,and the jars inoculated with apx 1cc of spore solution each at four points in the jar.Just had to slide the needle down the sides,past the dry vermiculite barrier and make sure the water made it to the bottom.Lids were placed back on and jars were placed into incubator.The large jar took right off and colonized before the smaller 8 ounce jars did.I blame this on the small holes I used in the lids.Those lids will be modified to have larger holes next round.
I used the 500ml jar and one of the 8 ounce jars to do the two tray's.The other 5 jars were left to sit an extra week in the incubator.The colonized manure mix from the 500ml jar and the 8 ounce jar were placed in a zip-lock bag and broken up,they break apart very easily.And I was greeted with a new smell,one that fills the room still,I like this smell a lot more then the cubensis smell when you open the jar,and it lingers more too.Both of the tray's bottoms are lined with a thin layer of moist perlite,just enough to cover the surface.Then I placed the colonized manure into the tray's,lightly tampered and placed the casing layer as thin as possible,1/4inch max.The casing used was 50/50 cactus/vermiculite, again with just a sprinkle of hydrated lime.The casing mix was pressure cooked for 60 min @ 15psi and allowed to cool.Once cased the tray's were covered with press n seal,lots of holes poked in it,and placed them back into the incubator for an uninterrupted 48 hours.
After this time the tray's were placed into the fruiting chamber.I used an aquarium.The aquarium was lined with perlite which had a bubble wand under it.The light was set to 8/16.The light kept it warm in the day,between 75-80.At night I would just place a jar of hot water in there.I started with a heat bomb but only had an old heater and it just wasn't heating up,Time for a new one I guess.And may be time to get a nice heat mat.A cool mist humidifier was set to go off for 2 min every hour while I was away,and a fan was set to go off for 1 minute every half hour.
Once the trays were placed in the fruiting chamber they really took off.No more than two day's in there and the casing's were colonized,On the third day before I went to sleep there was no signs of pins what so ever,but I knew it couldn't be long before I was seeing sign's at least.And sure enough the very next morning,there they were,pins.Much more then I was expecting with such small tray's and such a thin substrate layer.Not a bad first flush for a first try,I am happy with it.
The first set of of pic's are the jar almost colonized,and the first 48 hours in the fruiting chamber.
Edited by Dr.Hallucination., 17 October 2009 - 06:57 PM.