Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Panaeolus (Copelandia) cambodginiensis:Thailand,Suphanburi. "Goliaths".

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#21 Dr.Hallucination

Dr.Hallucination

Chasing the Rabbit.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:08 PM

Those are for sure Panaeolus (Copelandia) cyanescens : Thailand, Suphanburi Goliaths

Thank You Very Much Duaut.NOw if only I could go back in time and fix the darn title.LOL.oh well live and learn.

#22 funny1

funny1

I do what needs doing

• Free Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:11 PM

Thanks a lot for the great thread detail and impressive pics! These kind of results make a long time cubensis grower wanna branch out and try pans!:kewl::cool:

#23 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:02 PM

very nice job!

#24 weeeeeee

weeeeeee

humanoid

• Expired Member
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:53 PM

damn those are some beautiful shrooms you got one of those pics actually beat the hot ass naked lady that did reside on my computer wallpaper hahaha

#25 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:26 AM

Panaeolus cambodgeniensis Goliaths ?

Is that what you are calling them?
The only pans named Goliaths are the Panaeolus (Copelandia) cyanescens : Thailand, Suphanburi Goliaths sold by Sporeworks and are the original trade name owned by Sporeworks

Errrr..... This confusion is my fault, but I do appreciate the defense. I've recently reexamined the Goliath and other specimens and reclassified them as indeed Panaeolus cambodgeniensis. I've submitted an amended description to Sporeworks but it has yet to be added (soon I hope). I am still trying to get accurate classifications down, but there is a lot of conflicting information on how to separate these closely related species. It doesn't help that the main Panaeolus monographs are in French and German. But I have made some significant progress recently and can justify the reclassifications.

To make matters a bit more confusing (and embarrassing to me) the Sandose "tropicalis" is also P. cambodgeniensis. Also, there is a good chance that the Texas pan that is circulating is a true P. tropicalis, although I need to regrow that to confirm. I foolishly didn't save any specimens.

Here is an exclusive preview of part of the sporeworks site update for Panaeolus that should help explain some of the taxonomic problems I've encountered.

Species summary

Panaeolus cyanescens: The most common (in the wild) species, pallid pins or only slightly pigmented that soon fade with maturity, large spores (majority over 12 microns).

Panaeolus cambodginiensis: The second most common species, very dark chocolate to olive pins, small spores (majority under 12 microns), sometimes produces sclerotia-like bodies. This species seems to be overly represented in circulated strains compared to purely wild collections.

Panaeolus tropicalis: rare, pallid pins, small spores (like P. cambodginiensis). This is the most confused documented species. Stamets (1996) indicates that it is an exclusively two spored species (two spores per basidium) which is incorrect according to all other sources. Gerhardt's (1996) key to the Copelandia implies that it’s a darkly pigmented species which conflicts with the actual description in the same document (which is based on Ola’h’s (1969) original description). Ola’h (1969) gives great importance to the internally granulated transparent spores of P. tropicalis, but Gerhardt’s (1996) examination of Ola’h’s herbarium deposits notes only opaque spores. Gerhardt instead gives importance to the form of the pleurocystidia, which are distinctly cone-shaped compared to other Copelandia.

#26 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:25 AM

Wow, beautiful mushrooms you have there Dr. H! :cool: Have they been evaluated by anyone yet? I bet they are some bad mofo's ;) Nicely done.

Excellent info Workman, thanks.

#27 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,647 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:37 AM

Very very nice, Dr. H!
Thanks, workman, for the info. You are a treasure.

:bow: to both of you.

#28 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:54 AM

Very well done! Gorgeous grow no matter what the species.

But thanks to workman for the info. ;)

I changed the thread title for you.

#29 duaut

duaut

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 699 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:01 AM

Errrr..... This confusion is my fault, but I do appreciate the defense. I've recently reexamined the Goliath and other specimens and reclassified them as indeed Panaeolus cambodgeniensis. I've submitted an amended description to Sporeworks but it has yet to be added (soon I hope). I am still trying to get accurate classifications down, but there is a lot of conflicting information on how to separate these closely related species. It doesn't help that the main Panaeolus monographs are in French and German. But I have made some significant progress recently and can justify the reclassifications.

To make matters a bit more confusing (and embarrassing to me) the Sandose "tropicalis" is also P. cambodgeniensis. Also, there is a good chance that the Texas pan that is circulating is a true P. tropicalis, although I need to regrow that to confirm. I foolishly didn't save any specimens.

Here is an exclusive preview of part of the sporeworks site update for Panaeolus that should help explain some of the taxonomic problems I've encountered.

Species summary

Panaeolus cyanescens: The most common (in the wild) species, pallid pins or only slightly pigmented that soon fade with maturity, large spores (majority over 12 microns).

Panaeolus cambodginiensis: The second most common species, very dark chocolate to olive pins, small spores (majority under 12 microns), sometimes produces sclerotia-like bodies. This species seems to be overly represented in circulated strains compared to purely wild collections.

Panaeolus tropicalis: rare, pallid pins, small spores (like P. cambodginiensis). This is the most confused documented species. Stamets (1996) indicates that it is an exclusively two spored species (two spores per basidium) which is incorrect according to all other sources. Gerhardt's (1996) key to the Copelandia implies that it’s a darkly pigmented species which conflicts with the actual description in the same document (which is based on Ola’h’s (1969) original description). Ola’h (1969) gives great importance to the internally granulated transparent spores of P. tropicalis, but Gerhardt’s (1996) examination of Ola’h’s herbarium deposits notes only opaque spores. Gerhardt instead gives importance to the form of the pleurocystidia, which are distinctly cone-shaped compared to other Copelandia.

Nice to know Workman, because I was going by your data from sporeworks.
Sorry Dr.H, my bad due to what workman stated, his site not updated.
Shroom ID can be tricky. They are the Goliaths, but reclassified. Looks like both of us were correct, just my ID was from old data.
I stand corrected.
Beautiful work.

#30 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:35 AM

wow. those were really quick... i might have to try that specific strain. let us know how they fare

#31 Dr.Hallucination

Dr.Hallucination

Chasing the Rabbit.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:59 PM

These are Extremely Potent...:meditate:

#32 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:35 PM

This is going to be a nice cup,when it's full of shrooms !

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1235331513

I really enjoyed your pics..Dr.Hallucination. !

Attached Thumbnails

• pan%20smile2 reduced.jpg

#33 GetHyphae

GetHyphae

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:20 PM

I am new here but this is very nice!!!

#34 Dr.Hallucination

Dr.Hallucination

Chasing the Rabbit.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

I am new here but this is very nice!!!

Thank You and Welcome to Mycotopia glad you liked it.I am currently doing another batch so hopefully I will have some updates.I missed out on taking a whole lot of photos for this thread due to work,but I am hoping to make up for that with this grow.

#35 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:37 PM

To bad...
I was looking forward to see some nice pictures...!

#36 Dr.Hallucination

Dr.Hallucination

Chasing the Rabbit.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:03 PM

Well hopefully I will still be able to get some pics up in here within the next week or two as the manure I have is almost colonized now.Not sure exactly what I am going to do with it,I am pretty much only setup for cubensis at the moment but did manage to get a new aquarium heater so may just make a small TIT FC for the spawn?What do you think I should do with the spawn I have this time around?I do want to redo that smiley face cup,I got a few mushrooms off of it last time but It was nothing to brag about,and not what I envisioned it too look like so I want to try it again and get a good pic.I have like 4L of spawn so to play with so...Any ideas of how I should go about fruiting this time around.

#37 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:27 PM

Idea's ..? on what exactly ?

Maybe you can make a big flat cake kinda thing...?

#38 Dr.Hallucination

Dr.Hallucination

Chasing the Rabbit.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:00 PM

LOL my bad,I mean as in the fruiting chamber but I have it figured out,and am working on it now.I am just going to do a small TIT and place it inside my green house and try that out.

#39 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2009 - 06:57 PM

Now I completely lost you....lol
I'm gonne read this tread again tommorow when sober...:)...:o

#40 pvacant

pvacant

a DeAd BoY

• Expired Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:19 PM

i'm soooo glad you "messed up" the title to this thread, cause the names, and classifications have been frustrating to me to sort out, glad to know i'm not the only one, and THANK YOU Workman for always working, man. great info, the goliath, cambodegenisis, and various other Panaeolus species just boggle me sometimes. but now light is shining, and by the way Doc. friggin beautiful pixs, i put them in my screensaver slide show. just beautiful to look at. thanks.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!