• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 surf.shaman

surf.shaman

riding ancient waves

• Expired Member
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:22 PM

so this was just coir and spawn... without a casing layer?

#22 TrickyNicky

TrickyNicky

Areoponic Chronic

• Expired Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:34 PM

Looks like Carlos were without a casing layer,
My examples were cased with verm/coir at 70/30

Carlos: do you mist at all or does that condensation build on the side by itself?
mine seem to dry out and I have to mist the sides every few days which is a pain

#23 carolo

carolo

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:46 PM

Straight coir with WBS spawn. I go heavy on the spawn. Always.
No casing layer.
Mix it all up. Set and forget. I peaked 2 or 3 times. Once 5 days after to make sure it was done colonizing. And the rest for the pics.
The condensation in that picture is how it builds up on its own. The only time I will mist is when I see the actual brick of coir shrinking in size as the fruits grow. I do this maybe once or twice tops(misting the walls).
Post dry weight tomorrow.
  • mushroommaster7 likes this

#24 mushroommaster7

mushroommaster7

mycopsychologist

• Expired Member
  • 880 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:19 AM

carolo, this is exactly the route i plan to take when my spawn is ready... nice to see how this possibility can work out...

why don't you like polyfil?

#25 blonthedl

blonthedl

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:12 AM

awesome! good grow.

#26 TrickyNicky

TrickyNicky

Areoponic Chronic

• Expired Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:12 AM

Carolo: Hmm, I wish mine would keep its humidity. maby the tyvek allows for less evaporation than my polyfill and the same gas exchange?
I will be trying tyvek soon

seems like the pinset was centered in the substrate a little?
any ideas on why?

Thanks for show and tell BTW

#27 Mermaidia

Mermaidia

Sober Sister

• Expired Member
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:42 AM

beautiful tub!

#28 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:22 AM

nice job. what strain is it? very nice yellow/white color on those.

archive material

#29 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:40 PM

looked on ralphsters. id bet those are brazillian.

excellent job. thats a strain i want to try for sure!:bow:

#30 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:06 PM

:cool: nice harvest man! what flush is that? first? i almost always get lots and lots of tiny ass fruits on the first flush, but second flush (after a dunk) has much larger fruits. every time!

btw, i have had no issues with drying out using polyfil in my monotubs... always get condensation on the sides/top that has to be wiped with a paper towel at least once a day.

one more thing: you can in fact pick the mature ones while leaving the rest to mature another day or two. it won't affect them adversely at all, even if they're from the same cluster.

nice job :bow: lovely pics as well :)

#31 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:27 PM

what subs and strains you using? maybe too dry of substrate?

#32 carolo

carolo

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:26 AM

dont like the polyfil just because i've never had a really successful mono with it. every time i pull something decent its been with the tyvek. most likely just coincidence.

darling. this was all first flush. when i had the problems with tons of small fruits they never got larger. not even after a dunk :(

i thught i would have a dry weight by now after 2 whole days in the nesco dehydrator. guess not.

i put one tray in the dehydrator to see if it would speed things up and stuck the rest infront of a nice sized fan. going to see if the one tray will dry up faster. usually takes me less than a day but maybe i jus really overloaded the dehydrator with too much fungus.

#33 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,785 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:50 PM

Carolo and mushaboom,

I've also had the tiny fruits problem with coir. Can't for the life of me figure out what the deal is...

Carolo, did you increase the amount of spawn this time? How much did you use? Did you use the same brand of coir as before?

Oh yeah, and nice job! :thumbup:

#34 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:19 PM

dont like the polyfil just because i've never had a really successful mono with it. every time i pull something decent its been with the tyvek. most likely just coincidence.

darling. this was all first flush. when i had the problems with tons of small fruits they never got larger. not even after a dunk :(

i thught i would have a dry weight by now after 2 whole days in the nesco dehydrator. guess not.

i put one tray in the dehydrator to see if it would speed things up and stuck the rest infront of a nice sized fan. going to see if the one tray will dry up faster. usually takes me less than a day but maybe i jus really overloaded the dehydrator with too much fungus.

way to tweak your setup the way it works best for you. interesting that the holes in the center like that seem to be giving you such great results. the height of those tubs helps as well. really nice job there!

#35 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:28 PM

are you soaking your grain? and what type of grain were you using?

sometimes when you have low nutes you get short fruits. usually best to add 4-5 quarts of spawn with some nutes to the sub. but the results are random sometimes with wbs grain cased str8 or done with coir like this. ive had great results and not so great results when using grain spawn for the sole nutrient source.

ive actually had this happen on a tex run i had about a year ago. i used low spawn ratio with wbs and coir only. it fruited. but all small fruits. only used 2 quarts spawn with no more bulk to the bulk. needed to bulk up the nutes big time. the nutrients couldn't support the fruit.

if you find it happening again. add some nutes to your subs. ive also read around that sometimes this happens when you don't soak your grain long enough. but thats debatable. never seen solid enough results.

also im usually using the wbs spawn i use for spawning only. not as a nute base. so my one hour soak does me no harm.

#36 carolo

carolo

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:07 PM

Carolo and mushaboom,

I've also had the tiny fruits problem with coir. Can't for the life of me figure out what the deal is...

Carolo, did you increase the amount of spawn this time? How much did you use? Did you use the same brand of coir as before?

Oh yeah, and nice job! :thumbup:

ive had the tiny fruit problem with coir and with hpoo. so i know its an environmental issue not a substrate issue.

i used a lot of spawn. i dont measure. i just use an entire filterpatch bag worth lol. when doing mono's i use a lot of spawn so contams dont set in

same brand of coir as before. bed a beast from the pet store.

dry weight 4 ounces and a few grams(maybe 7max)

Edited by carolo, 17 February 2009 - 03:09 PM.
edit

#37 mushaboom

mushaboom

Mycophiliac

• Validating
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:22 PM

i think my tiny fruit problem was just the strain :( i took a single strand of ecuador mycelium and then let it colonize a jar. then after that colonized i used it to do more jars. i think i just got unlucky in the strand of mycelium that i picked out. my tub was literally completely covered in these tiny guys that all looked exactly the same(such a pain to pick!). yield was about 1/4 where it should have been, but they are very potent.
  • Hyptno likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!