• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 heidiopolis

heidiopolis

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:02 PM

i have a cake that just started pinning B+'s, and there are 3 pins so far. for some reason theyre only growing from underneath, and im wondering if thats normal, or if i should flip the cake over or something? maybe the top got a little too dried out or something, take a look and tell me what you think...

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Heidi/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/2006_09_02/IMG_0505.JPGPosted Image
(the blue stuff is just bruising on the mycellium, not mold)

wish these babies luck!

#22 srgtm1a

srgtm1a

yeah, yeah, you know.

• Expired Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:25 PM

That happens because the bottom of the cake is so close to the perlite. the mushrooms will tend to grow near the highest levels of humidity and moisture. Leaving them on top of foil will often trap moisture on the bottom, which can cause what you are seeing.

If you flip the cake, you will get the same affect just on the other side.

Your best bet is to elevate the cake about 1-2" off the perlite. Foil sometimes works fine, but sometimes you get that.

You can use a wire mesh to elevate, or double stack a couple of your jar lids face down and place the cake on top of that. Wire mesh is better because it won't trap in moisture.

For your next flush, after you dunk, roll the cake in some dry verm and mist, then place back in the fruitng chamber. you should see a noticable difference.

GL TO YA!

-Srgtm1a

#23 heidiopolis

heidiopolis

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:12 PM

thank you very much, that makes sense :] heres what i did; i sprayed a candle with some lysol, then put it under the cake. what do you think?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:21 PM

i think you need to double end case your cakes for better flushes

Posted Image

#25 tricktek

tricktek

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:54 PM

Howdy folks! I have a tray of cased wbs in an aluminum turkey tray (complete with clear lid w/ 15 small holes on top) cased with a half inch of 60/40 vermiculite/ coir casing. It took a considerable amount of time to pin (at two weeks I discovered the casing was too dry but then misted the hell out of it over a period of days) and at three weeks I have 30 + pins but they have remained small and no typical red heads have shown on them for close to a week. I am thinking of either adding another quarter inch of casing to the top (very lightly applied) or scratching and recasing. I admit that it grew close to overlay, but other trays that are growing were similiarily grown out and are fruiting nicely, albeit I need to work on my pin setting technique. Sorry, no camera, no pics. Any advice would be appreciated. TRICKSTER tricktek

#26 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:09 PM

proly still way too dry

#27 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:21 PM

A picture would be very handy. How big are the pins?

#28 tricktek

tricktek

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:33 PM

I just went and rewatered the tray heavily and will continue with some heavy sprays for a couple days as Hip 3s post makes sense. The pins are the size of the tip of a clicker pen when clicked out to write with it (does that make sense?) or the showing part of pencil lead on a not so sharp pencil. Will prolly get a camera soon as I have other projects worth showing off. Thanks guys.

#29 tricktek

tricktek

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:43 PM

Seems as though Hip was right. 24 hours later (after some big watering) the pins have started to grow again and have also started developing their red/brown tips. I think it's savable, but honestly the casing surface is panned and holding water, so I suppose I'll have to scrape off the old casing after the first flush and recase. Thanks for the suggestion Hippie 3. Just curious, are you the same Hippie mentioned in PF tek's manual that I foolishly gave away some 4 1/2 years ago? PEACE to ALL trickster

#30 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:30 PM

correct, that was/is me/I.
i'd dunk the tray...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!