• Please log in to reply
874 replies to this topic

#841 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 569 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:04 PM

I popped outside at 5am (UK time, peak eclipse) sooooo much cloud. Couldn't even make out a glimmer even. :(

#842 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,303 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:08 PM

The changing hue was interesting to watch.

I thought it looked dazzling when there was just a sliver of sunshine.

Then shortly after the glimmer faded, there was a contrast that made the moon look like a balloon.

Clear sky too.

• Skywatcher and wharfrat like this

#843 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,303 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:53 PM

Talk about a slow response, sorry...

Yes, it will be the Year of the Pig. 

We have been in the Year of the Dog.

The dog year is not so good,

the pig year is good.

Go figure.

If I have a good outdoor grow this year, I will take note.

I think this is my year.  It's the Year of the Pig, right?  Also a Saturn return.

#844 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,219 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:54 PM

We had an incredibly clear night for the eclipse - clear and cold as FUCK - negative ten wind chill. 

Everyone had high hopes, and I put our old mattress in the driveway and piled it with wool blankets.  By 11:30 everyone was asleep but for me and the dog.

So the two of us piled under the blankets - me in a ski suit and face mask - dog under the blankets.  By the time of the full eclipse, poor puppy dog was shivering in there - poor pup - so we retired to the couch and I popped outside every twenty minutes to check the progress.

Turns out, a full lunar eclipse is sorta boring to watch, especially when you can't feel your extremities.  Still, at least I can say I saw the Blood Wolf Red Moon, which is pretty sweet.  Word,

:)

soliver

• Skywatcher, Alder Logs and SteampunkScientist like this

#845 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,290 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:40 PM

At least he didn't try to eat it.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#846 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,928 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:54 PM

Yeah, Alder, but that just means he has one less thing on his bucket list before he gets to eating you.
  • Soliver likes this

#847 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,303 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2019 - 01:22 PM

I once looked up the Mt. Wilson Observatory website.  It is possible to rent out the telescope that Hubble used to discover the expansion of the universe.  Not very expensive.  You can have as many as a couple dozen people for a whole night.  A grad student is part of the reasonable price too.

Sounds too cool to pass up.  But I am not sure if I can do an all nighter these days, and it does get cold on top of that mountain.

If the air is crystal clear, you can see all of LA lighted up like a million diamonds, and the Channel Islands can be seen way out there.

• coorsmikey and Alder Logs like this

#848 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,290 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:32 PM

I grew up right below that mountain.  In the early '50s you could see it every day from ten miles away. By the '60s, I lived half that distance to the foot of the mountain and people visiting from other places would not believe a 5,000 foot mountain was there. 

I once did a hike from the observatory down to the San Gabriel River and back.  Killed my knees going down and barely made it back up.  Damn, that hurt. I went up there because some comet or other was to have its closest approach to Earth that night.  It was May 10th, but I don't remember what year, or the name of the comet.  I remember the date because it was when Nostradamus said there was to be a great catastrophe, and I wanted to be on bedrock.  (Nostradamus didn't say what year.  He just said enough about the astrological aspects to compute the day of the year.)   As it was, I drove back down to my mom's house and soaked in a hot tub, not caring if California sunk into the ocean anymore. 

=================

BTW, the red shift meaning the universe is expanding is an unfounded assumption.  The red shift could just as well be a measure of how much of the luminiferous ether the light has passed through in getting here.  It doesn't have to be Doppler effect.    Michelson and Morley's interferometer experiment was to prove or disprove the existence of a stationary ether in space.  It proved there was no stationary ether, but did not disprove that an ether could be there, either be turning with, or in fact, be what is turning the Earth.  There was no ether motion relative to their device. 

That's all we really can say about that particular experiment.   But like the Doppler red shift, like gravity being because of mass, and like there being no ether at all, these are just the guesses that everyone decided to believe.  Oh they, of great faith!   The universe they imagine is the one everyone gets taught in school.  

Edited by Alder Logs, 27 January 2019 - 05:47 PM.

#849 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,290 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:58 PM

If you have a clear sky today, and you want the experience of seeing Venus in the daytime sky, look to about 35 or so degrees elevation in the southern sky and find the crescent moon (if you are in the northern hemisphere).  Venus is visible just above it.  If you are in the southern hemisphere, Venus will be below the moon (because, of course, you are standing upside down), and at a higher elevation in degrees.

In the three hours since this photo was taken, Venus has moved to right above the moon.

post-131808-0-02020300-1548957508.jpg

IMG_2455.JPG

Edited by Alder Logs, 31 January 2019 - 01:00 PM.

#850 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,643 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:52 PM

The closest supermoon of the year will be February 19th. This is the "Snow" moon, so I suppose we can call this

the "Super Snow Moon".

It will appear larger and brighter than usual, especially at moonrise.

post-126525-0-98751500-1550372385.png

More info here:

https://www.yahoo.co...-130003924.html

super snow moon.png

Edited by Skywatcher, 16 February 2019 - 10:00 PM.

• coorsmikey, wildedibles, Alder Logs and 1 other like this

#851 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,643 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:31 PM

post-126525-0-79597400-1552512322.jpg

March 20th marks the Spring Equinox, or if you are in the southern hemisphere, the Fall Equinox.

This year the full moon also falls on the equinox. This will also be a "Supermoon", although not as close to Earth as the last one...

The March full moon is in traditional lore, known as "The Worm Moon", and also in some regions the Crow Moon, and the Sap moon. This is usually the first beginnings of Spring, when the snow begins to melt, and earthworms begin to wake and stir the ground. Robins and Crows also arrive to catch worms, and further till the soil. The sap in the trees begins to run again.

In the southern Hemisphere, this will be the Harvest Moon.

This year, the time from the Spring Equinox, until the Summer Solstice, will have four full moons. Three is the usual amount of full moons from the start of one season, until the next. 

So mark the date of March 20th, as the Spring Equinox, Super Worm Moon !

(more info here)

https://earthsky.org/?p=301190

worm moon-names.jpg

Edited by Skywatcher, 13 March 2019 - 04:32 PM.

• mushit, Juthro and SteampunkScientist like this

#852 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 569 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:17 PM

That picture is stunning! Is it one you've taken yourself? If not where is it from please?
  • Skywatcher likes this

#853 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,643 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:40 AM

Not mine Cuboid, just one of thousands saved to my image galleries from web wanderings............

(I did do a little enhancing in PS)

#854 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,303 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2019 - 03:23 PM

I have noticed here in So. Cal.,

that around one month after the vernal equinox,

the White Crown sparrows migrate away for the summer.

They are cute little creatures that nibble on succulents and edible winter vegetables.

So, one whole moon after the vernal equinox,

~April 20th is planting season!

Time for a grow log!

• Skywatcher likes this

#855 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,303 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:58 PM

5cae053b240000f7054f6755.jpeg

M87 Supermassive Black Hole - 10.5 billion solar masses, event horizon bigger than Neptune's orbit.

Amazing.

Edited by Dipole, 11 April 2019 - 01:31 AM.

• Skywatcher and SteampunkScientist like this

#856 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,928 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:58 AM

I think this should be officially named "The Asshole of the Universe"  :tongue:

The technological effort done to bring this picture and demonstrate Einsteins GR predictions are astounding.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 12 April 2019 - 07:59 AM.

• Dipole and Skywatcher like this

#857 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,829 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:55 AM

"Tax Revenue Ultimate Repository"

#858 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,928 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:32 AM

Yeah... About that... Fucking IRS.

#859 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,290 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:26 PM

Look out for cosmic hemorrhoids.  

[Direct Link]

#860 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 569 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 04:34 PM

"Tax Revenue Ultimate Repository"

I think the US of A spends less than a quarter of a percent of its GDP on space exploration. I don't know where all the tax money goes but it's not much on space telescopes.
  • Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!