• Please log in to reply
1047 replies to this topic

#1041 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,081 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2022 - 08:55 AM

There's a potential for a once-in-a-generation meteor storm coming up the night of 5/30-5/31.

I've read the number per hour could range from "meh" to ~100K (whoa...), which makes it worth going outside to check at 1am EST (10pm PST). If a storm happens it will probably only last an hour or so, maybe shorter.

https://www.space.co...t-possible-2022

• Skywatcher and Oldpunk like this

#1042 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 8,198 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2022 - 11:21 PM

Excellent information in that linked article TV

Thank you for sharing this. I am in the far west that may still be too light, but I will still be out just in case there are any big ones.....

• TVCasualty likes this

#1043 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 853 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2022 - 11:24 PM

Nice. I was just outside and it's beautiful tonight. Too bad I have to be up so early. Hopefully I can remember the 30th...
  • TVCasualty and Skywatcher like this

#1044 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 8,198 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2022 - 04:44 PM

A little more info on the potential meteor storm for May 30,31.

I am looking forward to this. Hoping for a good one.....

https://www.yahoo.co...-120100068.html

• Oldpunk likes this

#1045 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,081 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2022 - 11:02 AM

A little more info on the potential meteor storm for May 30,31.

I am looking forward to this. Hoping for a good one.....

https://www.yahoo.co...-120100068.html

I had the best seeing conditions I could hope for where I'm at but only saw 3 meteors over about 75 minutes.

The most impressive one by far turned out to be a firefly coming right towards me so it looked like a bolide for a second. As it turned out part of my view was blocked by a line of trees that formed a very dark shadow against the sky but in that shadow among the trees were thousands of fireflies (more than I've seen most years lately) so I got a pretty good show anyway.

• Skywatcher, rockyfungus and Oldpunk like this

#1046 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 8,198 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2022 - 09:18 PM

I had some smog, and city light bouncing around. I still spotted 6 between 9:25 and 10:30. All of them were towards the mountains which is the darkest sky area. Didn't see any real good ones, all were short streaks....

I'm waiting for the Persieds in August 12/13 which is always a very active show.

• TVCasualty likes this

#1047 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2022 - 09:21 PM

Nothing more then a normal clear sky for me. Few an hour. 

#1048 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 853 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2022 - 10:28 PM

I had the best seeing conditions I could hope for where I'm at but only saw 3 meteors over about 75 minutes.

The most impressive one by far turned out to be a firefly coming right towards me so it looked like a bolide for a second. As it turned out part of my view was blocked by a line of trees that formed a very dark shadow against the sky but in that shadow among the trees were thousands of fireflies (more than I've seen most years lately) so I got a pretty good show anyway.

I think this is a great statement!!! Actually got a good laugh reading that one .

I was pretty bummed. We had severe storms and a tornado around 7 pm. The weather said storms and clouds all night but around 11 a clear spot blew in. There was still a pretty good wind blowing and it kept the mosquitos away. I told my daughter and was surprised when she got all excited and ready to join me. We were out for about an hour, from 11.45-12.45 CST before the clouds rolled back in and saw at least 50 mostly in the northern sky. Only a few bigger ones. But it was a great hour spent in a cold wet camping chair. Mostly for the good company.
  • TVCasualty, Skywatcher and rockyfungus like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!