• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 sangraal

sangraal

Gnowledge in Gnature

• Expired Member
  • 997 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:29 PM

Who here is preparing to put out a garden this year? If not already?

A trip to the grocery store and the veggie isle this morning gave me the idea that I may want to double it this year. I'm looking for someone to break the ground around here, wishing I had a tractor myself, but I don't, so I've already started some seeds beneath grow lights and will transplant as soon as size and weather permits...

I'm going to give those monster pumpkins a shot this year. But, aside of that, corn, peppers, beans, peppers, squash, peppers, peas, etc... and may actually put my PC to another use this year. Whats going in other gardens?

#2 Cornfield

Cornfield

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 694 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:41 PM

I wish i could have a garden but several factors dont allow me to. Ive been reading and dreaming about it for years. Some day it will happen! Contrary to what my user name leads most to believe, ive never raised a farm animal or grown a garden for myself. What little experience i do have was working for other people. Been looking into buying some land someday to live off of but it doesnt look pheasable unless i win the lotto, and i dont gamble :(

#3 HookedonChronic

HookedonChronic

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:44 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageThis is where most of my smoking was done, I took a couple trips, cough, I mean vacations here too. Mayan Hammocks are the best.

#4 sangraal

sangraal

Gnowledge in Gnature

• Expired Member
  • 997 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:45 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageThis is where most of my smoking was done, I took a couple trips, cough, I mean vacations here too. Mayan Hammocks are the best.

Huh?

#5 HookedonChronic

HookedonChronic

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:47 PM

Put a hammock in the shade, maybe in your garden, sleep in it all night. I slept in mine when it was 40 degrees out thats how much I love it. Such a good nights sleep. Hammocks are the best way to enjoy your garden.:rasta:

#6 mestophilies

mestophilies

Suit Up!

• OG VIP
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:50 PM

I'm doing some corn, green beans, peas, and maybe some watermelon. I have about 2 acres to work on now so I got plenty of room. Don't have a tractor either, just a love of the outdoors and thank god a motorized hand tiller. I don't plan on planting that much anyways.

#7 mestophilies

mestophilies

Suit Up!

• OG VIP
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:52 PM

I agree hooked. My backyard should become an "asian style" paradise by the end of this summer if all goes well. Will definately post pics as I can.
Speaking of which anybody recommend a good bamboo strain that grows/survives well in all seasons?

#8 HookedonChronic

HookedonChronic

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:03 PM

A garden like mine is a lot of hard work initially, but then its just simple weeding and what have you. Bamboo is very tenacious, and you may regret planting it. The bamboo in my garden was taken from some guys yard. He was happy that I was chopping it down, and let me take as much as I want. He planted a tiny patch and now its 100 feet by 25 feet approx. :weedpoke:

#9 thatgreenthumb

thatgreenthumb

Mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:15 PM

I just got my seeds in today! this year im trying out some soybeans, cantaloupe, strawberries, and bell peppers. Im afraid it may be too late for me to start the Romanesco broccoli. But other than that, most of my garden will be tomatos. Then theres the herbs...:rasta:

#10 HookedonChronic

HookedonChronic

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:17 PM

Man where did my pix go.:gah:

#11 HookedonChronic

HookedonChronic

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:50 PM

I'm technically challenged sometimes, sorry I tried to use the http: address from my email, so that doesn't work for anyone except me. Hopefully this works. If not someone help me, plz.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#12 bosshogg

bosshogg

spore-cano

• Expired Member
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:58 PM

i'll be starting a garden this year and i'm totally stoked. i think it's actually going to be an on going project all summer. i plan on starting out small with some pots full of herbs and what not. then as the days go by i'll be working on building up my main patch in the yard ,along with some new land scaping around the house. the main patch i plan on planting all veg ( eggplant, squash, onion, garlic, peppers etc...)

i had a garden last year i dubd my "pot" garden and grew tomatoes, zuccinies, peppers, herbs all in large flower pots.

here's a pic of my red chili plant i was able to nurse and keep going over the winter indoors. if you look closely you'll see that it's flowering atm so peppers are soon to come. hehe this will be the first time i have fresh garden grown chilies in mid winter.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0028.JPG

#13 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:17 PM

First garden in my new home this year- It will be limited until I cut the damn pines out this summer.

Meph-

Unless you plan to do an underground Rootstop border for your bamboo, they will take over EVERYTHING!! VERY aggressive!

There ARE some species that are more controllable, but you will do well to choose bamboo carefully. People have been SUED by neighbors for planting the stuff!

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:30 PM

learn no-till agriculture and forget plowing, tilling.
better for the land, easier for you.
you build up raised beds by adding compost
instead of tearing up the underground.
this year i have
dill and cucumbers for pickles,
watermelon and pumpkin for the markets,
beets, and feed corn for the critters
as well as a 'greens' garden for the chickens,
carrots and tomatoes,
sweet corn, onions [red],
strawberries and ground cherries,
and of course a few varieties of poppies.

#15 Ben Dover

Ben Dover

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:35 PM

Been helping a friend get started gardening. We have some cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage, onions, and potatoes in now. More to come once it warms up some more.

#16 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:08 PM

we must wait another 1.5 months for our last freeze date...
but i will soon be setting out cold-frames to begin thawing/heating my beds

#17 bosshogg

bosshogg

spore-cano

• Expired Member
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:05 PM

i have a big compost pile in the back corner of my lot that i would like to use. only thing is im not sure if it's any good . it's been sitting there for about 2 yrs now and hasn't ever been mixed. it mainly consists of leaves ,brush and lawn clippings. my main concern is the leaves are from a huge american sycamore that's on my property. i've heard sycamore leaves can be harmful to new seedlings due to a chemical that the leaves produce. i know it has some kinda fungus / mold growing in it , a few kinds actually from what i've noticed.

i'm really wanting to know if this will be good/bad to use this year when i start building up my patch .?

#18 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:44 PM

hard to say, turn it over and stir it up now
and examine it.
hadn't heard that about sycamore
but i know to stay away from black walnut.

#19 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:31 PM

Dooby's doing some gardening this year.. got a nice lil garden plot... Will be planting watermelons, tobacco, corn, green beans, maybe some romanesque broccoli, maybe some cukes if I can get a lil fence going... Not sure what else, but the corn/watermelon's are gonna take up a decent amount of space :)

#20 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:27 PM

My dad and I do a very large scale garden every year. Maybe I'll be inspired to document for Topia this year. We are easily 3 months away from planting, but he and I have been planning what to grow and setting up our seed purchases.

He and I are also thinking of incorporating some edible mushrooms in the garden as well. I'm working on researching that currently.

We use a rototiller before and after adding our compost and nutrients to the soil. We add compost and manure about 3 weeks before planting to allow a good read on the soil nutrients and ph. Also, we change the directional orientation of the rows on a yearly basis. Horizontal one year, vertical the next, (That's more or less my dad's thing, he thinks its better for his soil) though I don't know if there is really any necessity behind his madness :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!