• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tenjin

tenjin

dizzy with possibilities

• Expired Member
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:45 AM

Thought I would make my own thread for this instead of posting in the other.

I just rototilled up my garden plot a couple days ago, while dumping most of my compost in it. It is really only a "victory garden", as It's only about 10x12 feet in my backyard flat ground away from any trees (a lot of sunlight). I had a lift-top lid cooler full of compost outside from last year that I have added banna peels, coffee grinds, leaves and a lot of decomposed vegetables from the garden that I didn't use. It was so black and moist when I added it to the plot to be tilled in. I am in zone 7 and have started a few seeds indoors so I am ready for sure.

I planted a garden last year for the first time. I grew Blue Corn, 3 different types (Roma-Rutger-Brandywine) of Tomatoes, Yellow Squash, String Beans, Okra and three different types (Jalapeno- Cheyene-Habenero) of Hot Pepper. At the front of the garden I had Spearmint, Chamomile and Tobacco. Everything grew robust except for the squash which got ate up by millions of stink bugs (neighbors did too, which is probably where I got them). The vegetables I didn't eat I canned in mason jars in PC. I canned a lot of tomatoes and hot pepers with vinegar (pickled peppers). Mmmm.

A lot of the seeds I ordered from horizonseeds (they are by far the the cheapest for quantity, plus USDA Organic), but some I got from a gardener friend of mine and a few tomatoes seedlings from a local greenhouse. My friend has inherited his garden from his grandfather and has been planting in it since he passed. So I have learned a lot about vegetable gardening from him and how to use all organic. Most of my neighbors have vegetable gardens as well.

I'll defintely put some pics up when I get my camera.
Good Luck to all the gardeners and hope everyone has a bountiful crop!

Posted Image
Canned tomatoes, pickled peppers and pickles.

Posted Image
Just a few to show you here. Blue Corn (for seeds), dried hot peppers (taking seed and may powderize for chili powder), Okra (for seeds), Tobacco (Nicotiana Tabacum), string bean seeds, and St. Johns Wort.

Posted Image
These are some of the seeds I still have left from last year, will be ordering more soon hopefully.

Will post more pics when my garden starts growing. :rasta:

Edited by eastwood, 12 March 2009 - 06:02 AM.

#2 tenjin

tenjin

dizzy with possibilities

• Expired Member
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:36 AM

I'm curious if anyone has ordered from HorizonHerbs? And if so ... any comments? I think they are awesome.

#3 MrChen

MrChen

Rocky Mountain High

• Expired Member
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:06 AM

I've not ordered from them as I get my seeds and garden plants from a local co-op but it looks as if you've got the right idea!

Great pics and awesome job on the canning for later. I can my tomatos and beans and dry chillies for grinding to powder as well. I even powder the habernos and keep it seperate. I've made a mistake and used too much of it before...Now that's a fire! :flamer:

Edited by MrChen, 26 February 2009 - 11:06 AM.
need more ESL classes

• tenjin likes this

#4 tenjin

tenjin

dizzy with possibilities

• Expired Member
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:21 AM

I've not ordered from them as I get my seeds and garden plants from a local co-op but it looks as if you've got the right idea!

Great pics and awesome job on the canning for later. I can my tomatos and beans and dry chillies for grinding to powder as well. I even powder the habernos and keep it seperate. I've made a mistake and used too much of it before...Now that's a fire! :flamer:

Thx for the comments Chen.

Ya I really don't use much habaneros, as they are way hot for me too. lol But my friends love them. Didn't have much luck growing the Echinacea last year because I didn't stratify the seeds, but this year I have them in the fridge in moist verm, so will see. Also attempting the white sage again this year. Was my first time pickling the cucumbers too for pickles. I used vinegar, little garlic and fresh whole dill which tasted great but I think I canned too long because the pickles weren't crisp enough. Oh well, will try again this year.

#5 MrChen

MrChen

Rocky Mountain High

• Expired Member
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:24 AM

My purple coneflower reseeds itself every year. I have to trim it back to keep it from overunning the alley. It's along my back fence and in the 4 years here its taken over back there. I also have cilantro that reseeds like mad too. Now if only I could get the chipmunks to stop eating my asiatic lillys. Did you know that lilly bulbs are edible? Taste like a cross between an onion and a garlic...
  • seedlessstinky1 likes this

#6 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:04 AM

sunflower, parsley and lily families are good plants to grow. all benefit from us, but can grow regardless of our care.

the blue corn looks more like a popcorn. interesting bean seeds.
diggin the canning work.

#7 bluethumb

bluethumb

pitterpatter

• Expired Member
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:25 AM

nice. never heard of horizon myself until now ,but i think i might like to check them out. Do they have a website?

#8 tenjin

tenjin

dizzy with possibilities

• Expired Member
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:16 AM

Thx fellas- I'll try and post some pics in the months to come when my little vegetablel garden is growing.

Yes bluethumb, without direct linking, there website is horizonherbs.com. It seems like a more mom-and-pops like store and I have had good business with them. They have a wide selection of vegetables, herbs and even a etho section. They also sell a Tincture Press.

#9 tenjin

tenjin

dizzy with possibilities

• Expired Member
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:22 AM

I'm updating this thread again as my garden has been growing pretty good lately with all the rain we've been getting. I still need to weed it some. Here's is what is growing in the garden atm: Sweet Red Corn, Blue Corn, Okra, Pickling Cucumbers, Roma-Brandywine-Rutgers Tomatoes, Green String Beans, Iceberg Head Lettuce, Rosemary, Basil and Oregano. I am also getting alot of tomato and cucumber volunteers popping up that I left compost in garden from last year (still need to transplant, pull up or I might just leave growing in some places). I always plant my cucumbers beside corn and tomatoes so it can grow underneath them as cover crop since the corn can get leggy sometimes. I also still need to plant some hot pepper. I started some seeds from the ones I grew last year but they died after transplanting :(. I have some more seeds started and I may also have a few hot pepper volunteers growing in garden, but can't tell yet. I'll try to update again this summer when things really get goin.

Well here's the pics :headbang:, took the bird net down so I can snap some shots:

Heres the sweet red corn with pickling cucumbers behind it (first time growing this- I'm interested in seeing the corn from this and it's growing faster than the blue corn):
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1242139847

One of the Brandywine tomatoes in center (from far left is Blue Corn, Red Corn, Pickling Cucumbers and then Tomatoes):
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1242139905

Spearmint (far left), Basil, Rosemary and Oregano (on right):

Heres the Iceberg Lettuce (notice all the volunteers that are coming up around it: tomatoes and cucumbers- won't let them grow like that because too crowded so will transplant soon):

Green beans:

Okra (just popped up recently- a little slow grower):

Shot of the whole garden:

Attached Thumbnails

• e0a4ce5d.jpg
  • 428af1f8.jpg
  • 01ded0bf.jpg
  • 8c3e8457.jpg
  • 10b414d8.jpg
  • 657e0e91.jpg
  • 21e51ad9.jpg
  • 69d2a0c2.jpg
  • 2bb4783d.jpg
  • c0657a92.jpg

#10 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:10 AM

Love the garden!! I like the medicinal plants you have.. You make any tonics etc with those herbs? I am interested.. :)

#11 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 8,085 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:23 PM

Nice job!

#12 Ben Dover

Ben Dover

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:23 PM

Okra can be a little hard to get up. The ground needs to stay warm for them to do good.

Gotta love volunteers :)

Keep up the god work

#13 tenjin

tenjin

dizzy with possibilities

• Expired Member
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:05 PM

Thx for the comments guys!
Yep Ben- gotta love the volunteers- didn't realize I had so damn many lol :D

Love the garden!! I like the medicinal plants you have.. You make any tonics etc with those herbs? I am interested.. :)

Thx priz, I like your garden too man-
I would love to make some tonics/elixirs with some of the plants, but have yet to do so. Would love to invest in a tincture press and start working on something like that. Maybe some day.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!