• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 beardedlady

beardedlady

Documented Deemster

• Expired Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:13 PM

So earlier today check on our monotubs, nothing was noticeably off. The yields have been really off, with a lot of aborts, but I had figured it was just poor management on my part. After the first flush, there was a abnormally long period of time between more fruits to start growing also. Nothing visually noticeable.

Now this evening, we have bugs on the caps and lids of these. Atleast two of our bins have the bugs, can't identify them. They don't look like Sciarid spp. or Phorid spp. in any of their life stages. Going to toss those bins, and clean clean clean.

Isolating new bins we made yesterday, and going to isolate the rest of the grow that was going on currently. Hopefully it doesn't spread. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1235707964

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1235707964

Attached Thumbnails

• bugs01.jpg
  • bugs02.jpg

• buteo likes this

#2 Rhyno

Rhyno

DEATH TO POACHERS!

• Expired Member
  • 987 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:31 PM

What a shame. Burn the f-ers and make them suffer!

#3 duaut

duaut

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 699 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:38 PM

damn, good luck. keep the animals out of the grow area.

#4 mr. pink

mr. pink

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:59 PM

Ahwa man, At least they are in their own mono tubs so you can get rid of them right away. They might only be white because they are still in a young stage. Thats a great camera by the way.

#5 beardedlady

beardedlady

Documented Deemster

• Expired Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:02 AM

They don't even go on the same floor. I took more pictures I'll post later. All six bins were infested. The two new bins we made yesterday didn't look like they had it, but they don't have growth. Coincidence that we made new bins yesterday and this happens today?

We use bagged pre-composted manure and coco coir as our bulk sub, don't pasteurize it. But we have used the same brand and tek for the past three years and not once has this happened. We let someone borrow our bag of manure, and got it back and made new bins today. Possible source that something got inside the bag elsewhere? I'm going to go check it in a few minutes, it's in the garage.

#6 beardedlady

beardedlady

Documented Deemster

• Expired Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:48 AM

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1235713489

So these guys spread like insanity. Went from nothing being visible early in the day, to being visible in two bins, then an hour later six of the bins. The two that initially showed, when we were throwing them out and cleaning them out, it was pretty insanely how covered the mushroom caps were.

Attached Thumbnails

• bugs03.jpg
  • bugs04.jpg
  • bugs05.jpg

#7 Zozo

Zozo

The green paladin

• Expired Member
  • 588 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:04 AM

these are aphid if I can ident them right and they mush reproduct in soil (coco is good) so you need to take it of the growing and clean the space or to disinfest ... (but I will not do that in shrooms)

I never so this problem in shrooms only in grass very strange

peace
zozo

#8 davedc

davedc

Market Restricted

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:11 AM

that sucks Posted Image , but great pics well detailed

#9 bluethumb

bluethumb

pitterpatter

• Expired Member
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:11 AM

pic of the month, wow
get your self some lady bugs lol http://www.arbico-or...om/1112511.html
never seen that b4! really just WOW:eusa_clap

#10 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:27 AM

I would suggest getting a new bag of your pre-composted manure and coco coir that you are using as your bulk sub or pasteurize any compost from that bag that you plan on using.If you used this same bag of compost for the new grow you mentioned above without pasteurizing,those bugs will probably return.

:kewl:

#11 duaut

duaut

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 699 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:49 AM

I thought they might look like aphids, but no dual tubes on the hind end. Need closer pics of the little buggers. Put some shrooms in a jar and seal it and watch them grow for a solid ID, they almost look like ticks, but I doubt that.

#12 beardedlady

beardedlady

Documented Deemster

• Expired Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:15 AM

Just to give an update, we had throw out all the bins with the problem. There were two bins that were not fruiting yet, so we took those out of the room. Cleaned the room up, vacuumed several times a day over several days.

Two weeks later, the bins that had been in the room but had just been made at that time started fruiting. First flush went by, no problems at all. Did a dunk with tap water like normal. Next set of pins was delayed coming in, and when they mushrooms grow to maturity, they started to get the bugs again.

This time, it was a much smaller amount. Immediately we ran out and got an organic kitchen-safe insecticide spray and pest strips. Took the bins out of the grow closet, and sprayed it with the insecticide as per the instructions on the spray bottle. Let it air out (the stuff did not really smell to begin with anyways).

Once it was aired out, we brought the bins back in, and put the pest strips on the outside of the bins.

Within a day or two, the bugs were gone. They did not come back through the second flush, everything was great, yields were awesome.

Dunk for the third flush...no pin set for several days. Eventually the mushrooms start to come up, but they have bugs on them again. This pest is hardy, and they are fucking annoying.

Dumped the bins again, we have no other bins going right now so we are going to spray the room and clean it much better and wait a few days before we make new bins. The bins that were having problems were all from the same set of manure/coir mixture, so we threw that out, and new bins will be made with something completely new.

Hopefully this solves the problem, otherwise, I'm completely clueless as to how to get rid of these white devils. ;)

#13 JACKOLANTERN

JACKOLANTERN

puking unicorn

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:41 PM

They are springtails ant they feed on spores and fungal hyphae. Family Hypogastruridae. A significant pest that will mess things up. Kill it with fire. https://bugguide.net/node/view/354047

Edited by JACKOLANTERN, 29 November 2018 - 08:42 PM.

#14 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,436 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2018 - 10:00 PM

Ha I'll send BLL a message and let here know lol, By gosh I hope after 9 yrs she still doesn't have the bugs. Just giving a hard time on the old bump JACKOLANTERN, It still helps others searching today. Thanks for the reply!

#15 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 05:24 PM

Am I right when I read you don't pastuerize?

If not, that may explain the problem... I am surprised you dont regularly get random contam if that's the case.

Just noticed this was an old ass thread lol

Edited by Deleena24, 01 December 2018 - 05:25 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!