White Bugs on Grow (mites?)
Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:13 PM
Now this evening, we have bugs on the caps and lids of these. Atleast two of our bins have the bugs, can't identify them. They don't look like Sciarid spp. or Phorid spp. in any of their life stages. Going to toss those bins, and clean clean clean.
Isolating new bins we made yesterday, and going to isolate the rest of the grow that was going on currently. Hopefully it doesn't spread. Does anyone have any other recommendations?
- buteo likes this
Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:38 PM
Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:59 PM
Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:02 AM
We use bagged pre-composted manure and coco coir as our bulk sub, don't pasteurize it. But we have used the same brand and tek for the past three years and not once has this happened. We let someone borrow our bag of manure, and got it back and made new bins today. Possible source that something got inside the bag elsewhere? I'm going to go check it in a few minutes, it's in the garage.
Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:48 AM
So these guys spread like insanity. Went from nothing being visible early in the day, to being visible in two bins, then an hour later six of the bins. The two that initially showed, when we were throwing them out and cleaning them out, it was pretty insanely how covered the mushroom caps were.
Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:04 AM
I never so this problem in shrooms only in grass very strange
Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:27 AM
Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:49 AM
Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:15 AM
Two weeks later, the bins that had been in the room but had just been made at that time started fruiting. First flush went by, no problems at all. Did a dunk with tap water like normal. Next set of pins was delayed coming in, and when they mushrooms grow to maturity, they started to get the bugs again.
This time, it was a much smaller amount. Immediately we ran out and got an organic kitchen-safe insecticide spray and pest strips. Took the bins out of the grow closet, and sprayed it with the insecticide as per the instructions on the spray bottle. Let it air out (the stuff did not really smell to begin with anyways).
Once it was aired out, we brought the bins back in, and put the pest strips on the outside of the bins.
Within a day or two, the bugs were gone. They did not come back through the second flush, everything was great, yields were awesome.
Dunk for the third flush...no pin set for several days. Eventually the mushrooms start to come up, but they have bugs on them again. This pest is hardy, and they are fucking annoying.
Dumped the bins again, we have no other bins going right now so we are going to spray the room and clean it much better and wait a few days before we make new bins. The bins that were having problems were all from the same set of manure/coir mixture, so we threw that out, and new bins will be made with something completely new.
Hopefully this solves the problem, otherwise, I'm completely clueless as to how to get rid of these white devils. ;)
Posted 29 November 2018 - 10:00 PM
Ha I'll send BLL a message and let here know lol, By gosh I hope after 9 yrs she still doesn't have the bugs. Just giving a hard time on the old bump JACKOLANTERN, It still helps others searching today. Thanks for the reply!
Posted 01 December 2018 - 05:24 PM
If not, that may explain the problem... I am surprised you dont regularly get random contam if that's the case.
Just noticed this was an old ass thread lol
Edited by Deleena24, 01 December 2018 - 05:25 PM.