• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 copernicus

copernicus

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:25 PM

Hello dudes, my foaf usually sends in money orders for his spores...his question stems from the desire to get his product faster...think its safe to order from ralphsters with his debit card? He will probably still use the money orders because he is more paranoid than a schizophrenic on friday the 13th...during a leap year under a full moon. Your guys' thoughts?

#2 learnerdr

learnerdr

• Expired Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:31 PM

I understand that kind of paranoia, esp with NSA wiretapping still going on but thank god it seems like a lil safer these days and with these vendors here for some reason. Money orders is a good idea. A little inconvenient but maybe SWIM will do that next time.

#3 sagiboy

sagiboy

-= Eat Em ALL =-

• Expired Member
  • 917 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:32 PM

He will probably still use the money orders because he is more paranoid than a schizophrenic on friday the 13th...during a leap year under a full moon. Your guys' thoughts?

relax man. be safe but have no fear.
you and your friend will be better if paranoia will be replaced with caution.

enjoy life.
good luck with the future project.

dont let the Posted Image hit the fan.

#4 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:34 PM

Well Ralphster certainly will keep your info safe, but it's always better to not leave a paper trail just in case LEO somehow gets involved down the line. I'm not sure how Ralpster does things, but businesses are required to keep financial records including canceled checks and CC transaction slips for 7 years in case of audit.

#5 sagiboy

sagiboy

-= Eat Em ALL =-

• Expired Member
  • 917 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:41 PM

:offtopic:what is BEAUJELAIS?:offtopic:

#6 wildburr

wildburr

Wildest of Burrs

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:45 PM

Use prepaid credit (debit) cards. No paper trail.

#7 dice

dice

Jack of all trades.

• OG VIP
  • 2,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

Use prepaid credit (debit) cards. No paper trail.

Yup i 2nd that.
You can find prepaid credit cards at almost every gas station nowadays.

#8 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:57 PM

Just remember if you get a prepaid card not to put money on it using a check! :lol:

Man i watch way too much Law and Order.

:offtopic:what is BEAUJELAIS?:offtopic:

Beaujelais is a type of wine that isn't fermented very long. Has a very raw, tannic taste to it. I was referencing the drunky story i told in Hip's drunk story thread recently.

#9 copernicus

copernicus

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:15 PM

awesome. thanks again everyone. I'll stick withe the money orders...will help me sleep at night. dont even really have to oder spores that much anymore anyways, just a question that had been rollin around the bowels of my mind for a few weeks.

thanks again:loveeyes:
Copernicus

#10 duaut

duaut

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 699 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:25 PM

Ralph and Sporeworks take cash and NEVER have done me wrong. Most MO you are supposed to have your name and address on them and can be traced. bad idea.

#11 surf.shaman

surf.shaman

riding ancient waves

• Expired Member
  • 355 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:57 PM

what's the issue? ordering legal things sure ain't probable cause...

#12 wildburr

wildburr

Wildest of Burrs

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:56 PM

Just remember if you get a prepaid card not to put money on it using a check! :lol:

Man i watch way too much Law and Order.

Beaujelais is a type of wine that isn't fermented very long. Has a very raw, tannic taste to it. I was referencing the drunky story i told in Hip's drunk story thread recently.

Now I know what its called :lol: I dont like unfinished wines either. :heart:

#13 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,225 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:44 PM

what's the issue? ordering legal things sure ain't probable cause...

Well, not really, but the question is, are you willing to risk it? It's not illegal,
but that's not saying if the wrong peeps got your info that they woudn't take
an interest in your activities...

Besides, laws change all the time, oftentimes without anyone's knowledge.

Cash is king - ralphster has NEVER done me wrong with cash in the mail. It's
the only way I'll order, but I'm the king of 'noids :)

soliver

#14 surf.shaman

surf.shaman

riding ancient waves

• Expired Member
  • 355 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:04 PM

I did risk it. 3 times... well 4 if you count that kit I bought in the early nineties. posting on this forum is a risk too then... using that logic and looking at the law that way. I think the biggest risk would be selling fruit or products to produce fruit. look at pf. I can't find anything that says anybody got in trouble that purchased from pf... only pf.

#15 Cerebral Cortex

Cerebral Cortex

Rogue Scientist

• Expired Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:29 PM

I've always used my CC with Sporeworks and never had any issues with them...

#16 Nunyabiz

Nunyabiz

Teonanacatl

• Free Member
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:32 PM

All the prepay debit/cradit cards Ive seen have to be payed with by credit card.. That pisses me off.. Same with money orders.. they cant cash it without your info so its pointless.. Cash is best.. Never had probs with sporeworks.. It is legal to buy spores..

#17 funny1

funny1

I do what needs doing

• Free Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:08 AM

It's actually easy to buy any pre-paid credit card with cash if concerned about a paper trail.

You pick up the denomination of the card you can afford, take it to the clerk, who then scans the cards UPC (usually found on the cardboard that holds the card), then they scan another bar code on the card itself (or swipe the magnetic strip), they ring up the total, and you hand them the cash.
The credit card is then activated and ready to use.

Pretty standard and straight-forward.

You get a receipt for your purchase which shows your current balance, and you can continuously check on the balance as you use the card by calling the 1-800 # on the back of the card.

I do it all the time and have for years at MANY different retailers.

#18 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:48 AM

The MO's I get at the supermarket service desk have a place for name and addy, but it's not required. Have sent several with only the receiving business' name (as specified in their ordering instructions) and had no problems.

#19 Fresh Brewed

Fresh Brewed

Seeker

• OG VIP
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:56 AM

The MO's I get at the supermarket service desk have a place for name and addy, but it's not required. Have sent several with only the receiving business' name (as specified in their ordering instructions) and had no problems.

Same here, and I wasn't required to fill in the receiving name while purchasing...did that later before mailing

#20 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,081 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:02 AM

Yeah, exactly. Just because there's some blank lines that say "Name, "Address," etc... doesn't mean you have to fill them out, or that what you fill out has to be accurate. I use blank forms to practice creative writing, if I'm not having an acute outbreak of dyslexia that is (which often happens in the case of my SS#).

It should be noted, however, that the zip code of the P.O. where postal money orders are bought appears on them, and with store-bought money orders it's just as easy to see which store and at what time the order was purchased. A quick trip to the archived security cam footage will produce a nice photo of you buying the money order. Some, but not all, post offices have cameras but probably all stores that sell M.O.'s do.

And don't forget to dispose of the receipt.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!