44 replies to this topic

#41 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:18 AM

i hear that adding some ascorbic acid [vit C] helps to slow
the breakdown of the magic in aqueous solutions.

#42 arezap

arezap

Underfunded evil genius

• Expired Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:24 AM

That would make sense since vitamin C is an anti-oxidant. I wonder if others would have the same effects. You'd get an anti-oxident, vitamin enriched mushie tea if it worked.What about vitamin E for keeping the magic? Tocopherols(sp?) are used a lot more now to preserve food and are natural.

#43 Killjoy

Killjoy

Mycophage

• Validating
  • 157 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:51 AM

Long time listener first time caller.

Hello all!!
I've been homebrewing for several years now, and a FOAF was wondering about adding shrooms to a brew... My concern was for the taste of the beer. One of the best parts of homebrew is how fabulous it tastes, I'm afraid with enough shroomies to make it worth the effort you'd end up with a barely drinkable concoction... Not that I won't let my FOAF try it, I’m thinking a nut brown ale or something to meld with the flavors...

A note on the Hassle of bottles.. Keg it! 5 Gal soda Kegs are cheap and everywhere, CO2 tank, reg, and others are a bit more but can usually be found second hand. Even for new equipment the cost is worth the time you save on your first couple batches.

On a separate note, My FOAF also was hoping for suggestions or ideas to use the spent grains from all grain brewing as a substrate or casing material. I basically end up with 10-15 pounds of wet/pasteurized grain hulls with a small amount of malt on them after every brew.

Any thoughts or past experiences.

#44 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 12:45 PM

I don't think there's gonna be much nutrients left in those grains to be of much use for mushrooms. Mushrooms are primary decomposers, not secondary - those grains have already gone through a primary decomposition process from the yeast. Also residual alcohol in the grains might not be a good thing for the mycellium.

I think the hassle of bottles will be a boon in this case, as concern over ruining a 5 gallon batch of homebrew is enough to prevent justabout anyone from attempting this. So try it in one bottle. figure out the dosage level you're shooting for, make a couple lower a couple higher, a couple right on, and let them sit for a month or so, then test them out with some friends. Ruining one bottle or a couple isn't as tragic as a whole 5 gallon batch...

#45 Killjoy

Killjoy

Mycophage

• Validating
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:06 PM

Yeah, didn't mean to imply a whole 5 Gal batch test run. I do 1 Gal brews to test any extreme new recipie. It was just a comment on one of the earlier (and most common) complaints about homebrew.

As for the grains... They haven't been exposed to any yeast, and have no alcohol content. They are mashed at @ ~155 Degrees to convert the starch in the gain to sugar (malt) then rinsed at about 175 Degrees. I'm left with slightly sweet grain hulls.
My Foaf didn't intend on using the grains as the primary source of nutrients, but more as a substitute for Straw or Vermiculite.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!