• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

Cause I left my earplugs at home like a dumass.

But I sure enjoyed shooting my two new guns.

I can still take out individual cans at 25 yds, spaced at 12", with a shotgun.

20ga, 3", 32" full choke. REALLY tight pattern!

And my new 9mm is sweet, but the trigger is a bit rough and hard- my best group freehand standing at 25yds was 12".

I think I'll polish the trigger parts and lighten the pull up to about 1 1/2 lbs.

And install the ghost ring sight.

What a beautiful day to go shooting in the woods! :loveeyes:
  • Shroomette likes this

#2 beardedlady

beardedlady

Documented Deemster

• Expired Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

What kind of 9mm did you get? When I was 14 my brother gave me a hipoint 9mm rifle. I think that 9mm isn't a really used round for rifles, but a rifle is a rifle.

I think I'm going to the range with lemonpepper in a couple weeks.

#3 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:58 AM

As a matter of fact I have one of the 9mm High Point carbines on layaway right now- the 9mm pistol I just bought is a High Point C9.

High Point has a great customer satisfaction rep, and a LIFETIME warranty....

Although they ARE inexpensive guns, the quality is quite satisfactory, and it's easy to be surprised at what you get for the money.
  • beardedlady likes this

#4 beardedlady

beardedlady

Documented Deemster

• Expired Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:06 AM

I don't know anything about them, I'll post a picture later today. I just grabbed it from my fathers house, it has not been cleaned or used in at least five years, and is missing the magazine. Lemon said he'd find me one and take the gun apart to clean.

It looks like a gun a GI Joe would carry. One of the ones that looks fake but really sweet. It has a decent weight to it. BLL is really excited to get to shoot some stuffs.

Can you post a picture of the High Point you have now? Also, what kind of shotgun are you working with? Is that the end of your collection with those two (plus the next one coming!)?

#5 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:40 AM

I don't know anything about them, I'll post a picture later today. I just grabbed it from my fathers house, it has not been cleaned or used in at least five years, and is missing the magazine. Lemon said he'd find me one and take the gun apart to clean.

It looks like a gun a GI Joe would carry. One of the ones that looks fake but really sweet. It has a decent weight to it. BLL is really excited to get to shoot some stuffs.

Can you post a picture of the High Point you have now? Also, what kind of shotgun are you working with? Is that the end of your collection with those two (plus the next one coming!)?

My gun collection was "stolen" and pawned by my ex-wife on her exit...
I was only able to recover my 45cal muzzleloader.

In addition to the three I mentioned, I have a 22 cal Remington model 597 with a poly stock and a scope on layaway at a different shop.

Some years back I traded a new Stevens 12 ga pump to my Dad for a Makarov 9X18. I will be reacquiring it this summer, along with a couple of other guns out of his collection, I am sure.

I miss the Makarov, it was sweet shooting and a good concealed carry weapon. Field strips in seconds with NO TOOLS. Dad said he gave $100.00 for it ten years ago- they are $200.00 now with a leather holster and spare magazine.

Here's a c9. BTW, I AM misspelling it- it's Hi-Point.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20102-1.jpg

#6 alounacara

alounacara

Picktish Texas Style...

• OG VIP
  • 2,782 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:08 AM

You are gonna shoot yourself in the eye:pirate:

#7 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:51 AM

You are gonna shoot yourself in the eye:pirate:

I always heard, "You'll put your eye out!"

Been shooting all my life, only eye I ever shot was a "brown eye", and I missed it by THAT much... :teeth:

#8 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

Next time you're out and you forgot your earplugs and you have that 9mm with ya, take two 9mm rounds (assuming they're fmj) and stick em in your ears. Depending on size of your ear canals they oughta fit pretty good. Better than nothing anyways...

When I was 14 my brother gave me a hipoint 9mm rifle. I think that 9mm isn't a really used round for rifles, but a rifle is a rifle.

If its a long gun and it shoots a pistol round its usually referred to as a 'carbine'.

#9 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:32 PM

Beast-

Great idea- here's how bad my TDA is- I could also have stuck two cig butts in my ears as well!

The ringing wasn't bad, and was short lived, because I was outdoors, but I should have protected myself nonetheless.

You are absolutely right about the term carbine as well.

Funny, though- I bought a short barreled version of a Ruger 10-22 years ago with raised iron sights, and they referred to it as a carbine, even though the 22 LONG RIFLE is - well, what is it? All my 22 pistols shot 22LR!

Here's a pic of the Hi Point 9mm carbine. Ugly little shit, ain't it?

Attached Thumbnails

• 995b.gif

#10 lysergic

lysergic

Down on the Pharm

• Expired Member
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:51 PM

I always heard, "You'll put your eye out!"

When I was a little kid, I looked like the kid in that movie
I got that line all the time :puke:

#11 ggod

ggod

MycoAddict

• OG VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:58 PM

I had a Makarov 9x19. It was a pretty dependable pistol and cost very little. Think I gave under $150 for it at a pawn shop. I am pretty sure it was Makarov anyhow. How I understand it they were made for the Chinese army's officers. Anyhow I'm sure you will enjoy getting the 9x18 (.380) back.

-edit- The one I had...... star on the grips was made for China. I am assuming it was just surplus. Now that I think about it it may have been Takarov..... Not sure I have heard reference to both and not sure what I had.... any idea?

#12 beardedlady

beardedlady

Documented Deemster

• Expired Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:44 PM

Here are pics of my Hi-Point. I picked it up from my fathers last month, where it is been for the past five years in a closet. I'm not even sure if it is still safe to fire, as it is beat up looking.

Lemonpepper is going to check it out for me. The last picture is my lady's first piece.

Har har har.

Attached Thumbnails

• hipointwhale.jpg
  • hipoint02.jpg
  • hipoint01.jpg

#13 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:56 PM

I had a Makarov 9x19. It was a pretty dependable pistol and cost very little. Think I gave under $150 for it at a pawn shop. I am pretty sure it was Makarov anyhow. How I understand it they were made for the Chinese army's officers. Anyhow I'm sure you will enjoy getting the 9x18 (.380) back.

-edit- The one I had...... star on the grips was made for China. I am assuming it was just surplus. Now that I think about it it may have been Takarov..... Not sure I have heard reference to both and not sure what I had.... any idea?

I always heard "Makarov" referred to as a caliber, as well as the original designer/mfg of the pistol. 9 x 18. I'll have to look at it and the 380 acp to see what the diff is...

I don't remember any stars, but it's been several years since I carried mine.

The other one you mentioned, is Tokarev. They make a 9 X 19, eight shot auto, cheap but fair quality. It was originally chambered in 7.62, but I remember when the eight shot in 9mm luger came around.

It looks JUST LIKE my Makarov did. Slim grip, sweet to carry.

Here's an article on it.

http://www.gunblast....ell_Tokarev.htm

Chicom arms aren't always junk...

#14 dice

dice

Jack of all trades.

• OG VIP
  • 2,522 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

Yeah catdaddy might not go away.
I went out 3 years ago
and like you forgot my plugs still shot anyways.
So shot like 1000 ak rounds which wasnt bad.
What did it was my 45 I shot like 300 rounds,
and both ears were ringing bad for a month
then the right went away but a doctor said
im half def in my left ear now and still hear ringing. lol
So wont ever forget my plugs again.

#15 Fresh Brewed

Fresh Brewed

Seeker

• OG VIP
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:59 PM

half def in my left ear now and still hear ringing.
So wont ever forget my plugs again.

Me too. Years of hunting with no protection has caused significant hearing loss in my left ear. I blame a short barreled shotgun and dove hunting as the main culprits. I'm jealously protective of my hearing now and won't willingly be around any high decibel noise without protection...lawn mowers, chainsaws, power tools, I wear protection for all of them.
  • dice likes this

#16 ggod

ggod

MycoAddict

• OG VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

The other one you mentioned, is Tokarev. They make a 9 X 19, eight shot auto, cheap but fair quality. It was originally chambered in 7.62, but I remember when the eight shot in 9mm luger came around.

It looks JUST LIKE my Makarov did. Slim grip, sweet to carry.

Here's an article on it.

http://www.gunblast....ell_Tokarev.htm

Chicom arms aren't always junk...

That is the one. I carried it in a holster for a 1911-a. Aparently some (not all) were made for China military. Or that is what I understand from the one who told me. I am certain he was correct as he was an avid collector and has forgoten more than I would ever know. Real cheap but very reliable.... wish I still had it now that I think about it.

Edited by ggod, 08 March 2009 - 08:10 PM.
forgot to post....duh...lol

#17 dice

dice

Jack of all trades.

• OG VIP
  • 2,522 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

I'm jealously protective of my hearing now and won't willingly be around any high decibel noise without protection...lawn mowers, chainsaws, power tools, I wear protection for all of them.

Wow yeah im not that far yet,
but I should be if I want to keep whats left.
I still blare my music loud play loud,
and im sure its not helping. lol
Oh us youngins when we will learn

#18 DrAstronaut

DrAstronaut

Soxhleteer

• Expired Member
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:08 PM

I picked up a Ruger MK III, "Target" this weekend. $275 w/ 2 mags and case! Scope rail too! You can get some D-E-A-L-S at gun shows! I was just basically after a nice plinker/target pistol...Stripping and re-assembly can be rough...I needed that rubber mallet...but I'm loving those .22 LR prices!

Anyway, I took a lady friend (who had never used any firearm, let alone been within earshot of one discharging) with me to the range today. She really wanted to learn to shoot, but was unprepared for the actual sounds and sensations of the range. I'd never seen someone jump like she did when the guy a few stalls down started firing his .500 .

This particular range allows class III and high-powered firearms. Ear plugs AND the "lawnmower headphones" were barely enough to keep the decibels from the .500-firing super-marksmen at comfortable levels. :headbang::pirate:

#19 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:30 AM

hi-points are decent, the ol' lady has a .380 hi-point that she used to get her concealed carry permit a couple years ago.
cheap too!
ear protection is a must-
my buddy came down a few weeks ago
and we fired the SKS then the dbl. barrel SS .12 ga.-
i warned him to step back but he didn't
and that double-barrel rung his chime good!
bitched and whined all day his ear was ringing.
:lol:

#20 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:52 AM

That is the one. I carried it in a holster for a 1911-a. Aparently some (not all) were made for China military. Or that is what I understand from the one who told me. I am certain he was correct as he was an avid collector and has forgoten more than I would ever know. Real cheap but very reliable.... wish I still had it now that I think about it.

Saw one at auctionarms last night, scarred but reasonable... Makarov

I'm gonna talk to my local dealer about accepting deliveries for me.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!