familiar with the sensation.
more fun with my SKS

#42 mestophilies

mestophilies

Suit Up!

• OG VIP
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:20 AM

You guys ever tried out the H&K USP45? My brother has one, it's probably one of my favourite hand guns.

That is my favorite pistol of all time. It has got to be one of the smoothest pistols I have ever shot.
Catdaddy: If the kitten is having trouble keeping one eye open only, have her try both open while shooting. My DL taught me that one, made me jump from not even qualifying on the range to getting expert by the time I had to test. Just a thought.

#43 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:30 AM

Thanks for the suggestion- you are the second to suggest that!

I could never shoot that way, but it may be that it IS the best way for her.

Next trip to the range, I will do so!

Thanks again!

#44 mestophilies

mestophilies

Suit Up!

• OG VIP
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:50 AM

Best 'o luck to the kitten! :rasta:

#45 Cerebral Cortex

Cerebral Cortex

Rogue Scientist

• Expired Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:01 PM

they'll penetrate most bulletproof vests too.

The kind I have

http://www.excalibur...?category_id=40

#46 alounacara

alounacara

Picktish Texas Style...

• OG VIP
  • 2,782 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:24 PM

I have a Model 1 Ruger 45.70 that i use for hog hunting, It does not kick as bad as as my old 30.30 Winchester.
I use a 10 guage Browning Stalker for geese and a Belgium Browning A5 autoloader for ducks.

My favorite Deer rifle is my 243 Remington model 700 with a Nikon 8-32x50
The light transmission is up to its theoretical maximum—95%.
The scope cost more than the gun.

Our Texas hill country deer are not very big so a 30.06 or a 7 mag is way to much knockdown power and messes up to much meat on a neck shot anyway.
I prefer doing a head or eye shot anyway because i want a deer to have the least amount of suffering before it dies, I hate watching them kick around and die slowly.:thumbdown:

I am thinking about buying a 25.06 because it is a flatter shooting round and has a bit more accuracy at 200+ yards.

I hate pistols because i almost shot myself in the leg once with a old single action 357 Western Marshall, It had a hydroshock load in it
I gave that pistol away after that incident.

I was very young very stupid and very high on cocaine at the time.
Ive never done any coke since then.
I do not own or have any desire to ever have another pistol.:eusa_snoo

#47 beardedlady

beardedlady

Documented Deemster

• Expired Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:45 PM

Catdaddy: If the kitten is having trouble keeping one eye open only, have her try both open while shooting. My DL taught me that one, made me jump from not even qualifying on the range to getting expert by the time I had to test. Just a thought.

Same experience. I initially started shooting with one eye closed, and then was told by someone to fire with both eyes open, it helped me out a lot with accuracy.

#48 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:39 PM

I am looking for an AK, 7.62x39mm, to collect and range fire, but am not prepared to drop $500 for one.

So, I have a question on non-firing AK-47s. they can cost as little as $170. they include moving parts, but do not fire.
Is it possible to convert a non-firing AK-47 into a semi-auto or full-auto AK-47 by installing the right parts?

What about parts kits?
http://www.jgsales.c...roducts_id/2725

Includes metal folding stock set with either wood or synthetic pistol grips, trigger, bolt, bolt carrier and most (not all) other small internals.

what else is needed for this kit to build it into a working rifle? (besides clips and ammo)

Whats required to get a FFL (Federal Firearms License)?

i dont really care for a fully automatic AK at the moment, i just want to learn why it still is made and used by millions around the world.

#49 mestophilies

mestophilies

Suit Up!

• OG VIP
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:47 PM

As to why it's still made: It's a cheap (read inexpensive) rifle to make, the parts are completely interchangeable on most models and between several model years. It is a pretty damn accurate weapon, with a large amount of firepower. It is lightweight, and gives almost no recoil, even when fired on fully auto. The magazines are available to hold up to 1000 rounds and can be "quick" changed with just one hand if you are even decent with it. In short it's really a sound machine that does the job it's designed for very very well. It kills people like a mofo. The main reason it's so popular though, well unfortunately look at the warlords in parts of Africa, training 8 year old kids to kill for them, and that is almost always the weapon of choice.

#50 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:53 PM

I am looking for an AK, 7.62x39mm, to collect and range fire, but am not prepared to drop $500 for one.

So, I have a question on non-firing AK-47s. they can cost as little as $170. they include moving parts, but do not fire.
Is it possible to convert a non-firing AK-47 into a semi-auto or full-auto AK-47 by installing the right parts?

What about parts kits?
http://www.jgsales.c...roducts_id/2725

what else is needed for this kit to build it into a working rifle? (besides clips and ammo)

Whats required to get a FFL (Federal Firearms License)?

i dont really care for a fully automatic AK at the moment, i just want to learn why it still is made and used by millions around the world.

Sure, you can buy a "kit" plus other parts and anyone with reasonable mechanical skills can finish it.

There's a company, ETI, that is your best route for a FFL, Here's a link.

I'm getting my gunsmith certs and FFL from them.

here's a link.

http://www.federalfi...m/abouteti.html

Gluck!

#51 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:24 PM

thanks, so do you really need a FFL to buy an AK?
if you can buy the parts and assemble it yourself without one, why would I want to pay a fee every year to let me own my rifle?

seems like an FFL is more for people who buy wholesale, or by lots of guns.

is it required when i go to the pawn shop and buy an AK? i thought all they do is run a background check and give you the gun.

#52 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,032 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:18 PM

You are IMO a little late to be building an AK from kit. A few years ago
it would have been cool and cheap but now it's almost the same price just to buy one.
Before they were importing all the parts but cutting the receivers in half with a torch. the receiver is the part that is the actual 'gun'.
to make the kit work you'd order another receiver and put the gun back together (undoing all the rivets that hold the parts currently together)
You could order a stamped flat receiver to your house no problems but would have to bend it into a 'gun' yourself.
or you could have a pre-bent made one sent to a license holder.
NOW they are importing the barrels torched too. SO you have to order a barrel now to go along with your kit... now the $$ adds up.
You'd put it back together using machine screws.... OR professionally using a rivot gun (more $$)

good alternatives to an AK would be maybe picking up an SKS or SAIGA rifle.

#53 Ras Asad

Ras Asad

Amor vincit omnia

• Expired Member
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:42 PM

My little brother recently bought me a Ruger .45 , as a gift.
(the sheriff brother.. lol, )
First pistol ive ever owned.
.. and he is helping me to get my permit now, (just waiting).
I wont carry it around, but in case i ever need to...
My bro and my dad have informed me.. i need a permit. lol

I do have an SKS, that i keep at my dads house to.

I showed some pics of the .45 in chat one night,
not sure how well that would go in a post though. lol

Catdaddy.. i am very intrigued with your gun making.
seems like it could be a crucial skill. :bow:

#54 dice

dice

Jack of all trades.

• OG VIP
  • 2,522 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:37 AM

Last night was smoking one and got bored.
So figured Id put a scope on my carbine.
So here it is with the lil scope.

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

#55 beardedlady

beardedlady

Documented Deemster

• Expired Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:00 PM

That is adorable!

#56 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:55 AM

Sweet, Dice!

I'd like one on my 995- where did ya get it and how much, if you don't mind...

#57 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:31 AM

looks good.

My cousin has two identical to those. He keeps leaving the damn things on and
running the batteries down..:lol:

#58 beardedlady

beardedlady

Documented Deemster

• Expired Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:17 PM

My brother got me this for my 20th. It's a .22 survival rifle. The barrel, receiver, and two magazines come apart and fit into the stock of the gun.

The stock of the gun is small enough to fit into a backpack if you were camping or hiking and were going to be in the wild and wanted something small to carry.

It takes .22LR. I don't remember who manufactured the one I have, it's at my brothers house right now. They also sells small scopes that mount on these.

Attached Thumbnails

• survival02.jpg

#59 dice

dice

Jack of all trades.

• OG VIP
  • 2,522 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:43 PM

Sweet, Dice!

I'd like one on my 995- where did ya get it and how much, if you don't mind...

I actually got it the same place as the gun.
Its just a local sporting good store called Dunhams sports.
The scope was pretty cheap also was on sale for 25 bucks.
I think the price b4 the sale was only 35 still so not bad.
It has both green and red dots with 5 dif settings for both.
So its pretty much perfect for this gun being I dont see
shooting her at 100 yards often.
Normally just shoot her in the 30yard lane so prob just sight her there.

#60 Toadstool

Toadstool

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:17 PM

just in case yall haven't been noticing, the shelves of bullets at gun stores and even walmart and academy are becoming empty....
i'm having a harder and harder time finding decent prices for single boxes too, only time i can catch a break is 1000 at a time and i have to drive an hour.

buy while it's still 'half way reasonable' and available.....

Gun sells and ammo are wayyyy up. Thanks to our new Prez. Just picked me up a new "Ruger"
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/LCP/
To add to my collection, will replace my HK usp compact from time to time as my carry gun. I use to have a HiPoint 9mm was the first pistol I ever owned. All I own now are 40's and 45's. Can not decide what I want next a 1911 or a wheel gun. Never owned a 1911 and have not had a wheel in a long time....

NRA Life Time Member

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!