• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mestophilies

mestophilies

Suit Up!

• OG VIP
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

Starting a teepee build very soon. Want to take it to the festivals this year. Short of going out and cutting down my own small trees any one know where someone in the ozarks area can buy a 24' long pine pole? Even 12' will work as I can use PVC pipe to "join" them together. I've got canvas, rope, and desire. I just need some poles...eh that don't sound very good, get your minds outta the gutter.
Any alternative methods for poles are more than welcome also!
Also just got a new digial camera so will post pics of it as the project comes along.

#2 lebrony

lebrony

Stoner

• Expired Member
  • 416 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

hehe cant wait to see pics of this!!! theres a teepee right across the street from my place, its a nature centre.. they used real branches for poles, you could go to a hardware store and get the poles already cut but it could be a little pricey. you could always use tent poles, you know the ones that bend real small for easy storage but i have no idea if it would be strong enough to support it..

#3 meku

meku

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 346 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

Want to see this , i always wanted to build one ehehe good luck :)
As pole alternatives maybe some aluminium poles ? dont know...

#4 ggod

ggod

MycoAddict

• OG VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:49 PM

3 inch pvc may be a good substitute. 4 inch might work well for you too. A 10 foot section of 4 inch pvc pipe is around $8. When you go one size bigger (6 inch) the price goes to apx $27.
As far as, where you can buy longer section of wood pole. I would recomend checking with some of the smaller building supply stores. L0wes and H0me Dep0t may offer competitive prices but to get anything that is not "standard" may be difficult.
You may also be able to find a wood mill fairly local to you. Any where there is lumber industy, you will find a mill not too far.
I may have a couple more ideas for you. What diameter would you prefer?
If it does not need to be round I have a solution for your problem. Send me a pm and I will draw it up for you.

#5 alounacara

alounacara

Picktish Texas Style...

• OG VIP
  • 2,782 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:08 PM

I built a tee pee under my covers this morning:pirate:

#6 mestophilies

mestophilies

Suit Up!

• OG VIP
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:48 PM

Somehow I didn't even have to read your reply! I knew what was coming on this one :lol:
Ggod: I don't see why it would have to be round, so check your pm's. Also do you think PVC would be strong enough?
I'm going for a 21' base which will make the poles 24' long. I could go smaller I guess but I am thinking of taking this to a couple of festivals. ;)

I did call Lowes today and the dude on the phone says "Ummmm I got landscaping poles....hehehe." So that was a no-go, looked online and nothing yet, except $800 for a set of "true" lodge poles. So this quest continues. Thanks for the help so far and keep throwing me ideas topia! Hell I'll let ya'all come sleep in it!

#7 dice

dice

Jack of all trades.

• OG VIP
  • 2,522 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:54 PM

I would think pvc would be strong enough,
and if not just cap and seal an end real good.
Then just fill it with sand or something,
and that would def strengthen em up.
Or maybe if you can find bamboo
that would work also.
Im like these guys never built one myself,
but im pretty interested in this so pullin up a chair.
And good luck man hope your able to find what you need to get this going.

#8 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 8,099 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:57 PM

For peats sake don't roll over or you'll break something!

#9 Guest_mystic_*

Guest_mystic_*

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:57 PM

Check out this link bro its what we used for our poles.

http://en.wikipedia..../Lodgepole_Pine

The whole earth catalog may have a number in it still i have not looked. Good luck there is nothing like a teepee

#10 mycowarrier

mycowarrier

former blockhead

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,559 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:00 PM

If authenticity is not a requirement then PVC is the way to go. Aluminum would be better but too pricey. Wood would be too heavy and 24' is a long stretch. Do you live were bamboo grows tall? [light and strong]

#11 mestophilies

mestophilies

Suit Up!

• OG VIP
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for the link Mystic! Your right on the teepee being the way to go. First time I was in one was at a festival. Bunch of Rastas brought one in and we all tripped balls inside it, with a laser show going on, on the outside of it. Too cool :headbang:
Unfortunately not myco. I am in the middle of Ozark country, as hillbilly as Hillbilly :lol: So bamboo is out of the question. The PVC I am going to check into tomorrow. I found Duck Canvas at my local farm store, god I love that place! 2-9' pieces of pvc with a joiner in the middle should do me good if nothing else. I would really like to find wood of course, but it just doesn't seem like it's going to happen right now. Being in the middle of the damn country lodge pine is to far away to drive out in the country and get in the PNW. And the only places here that would have trees like I need are all conservation land and they want them there.(already called and asked :(.

#12 ggod

ggod

MycoAddict

• OG VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:23 AM

Ggod: I don't see why it would have to be round, so check your pm's. Also do you think PVC would be strong enough?

4 inch pvc has a crush rating of 3000#. It may have a little bit of flex but would work well.
The couplers can be removed from sections to allow for easy storage and transport as well. I will draw another idea on Paint and post it.

kinda crude drawing but it will get the point across.
A= 2x4
b= 2x4
c= plan view (top/overhead)
d= staggered joints
use 2 inch screws are used to fasten
screw through "a" into "b" on 12 inch centers
This will support more weight than you possibly need. It is also the basic concept for roof bracing approved by international building code (IBC).
2x4's are amazingly rigid on end. When framing homes we had to construct our own scaffold to establish the roof.
I have trusted my well being to 2x4's on many occasions and have total confidence on this design structural integrity.

--edit-- you may need to download pic and view it in mspaint to see it bigger.

Attached Thumbnails

• tee pee.JPG

Edited by Beast, 19 March 2009 - 07:16 PM.

#13 mestophilies

mestophilies

Suit Up!

• OG VIP
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:53 AM

Thanks for the ideas so far ggod, going to try calling a local saw mill a buddy was telling me about. Might be able to hook me up with ash poles, figure those should work well, if I can get ones I need.:rasta:

called the saw mill and that was a no-go they don't have anything close to what I needed. Did have a nice visit with the "old man" (that's what they call him he said.) running the place. He said to go to the lumberyard and buy 9' 4x4 pine posts, they don't run pine there just oak and maple. So going to call the local lumberyards and try that way. I'm thinking I can get my hands on a "draw" knife, and just shave the corners down to something close to round.
I also did a little deeper searching online and found a few websites for places that sell teepees. There is one in particular that I am eyeballing if I can't come up with a significantly cheaper alternative. The total cost for buying a "pre-built" teepee is $1,200.00 for the size I want. So far the tarp for my homebuilt is looking to be around $700.00 by itself. So I am starting to waver on building and might just try and buy one after Ms. Mesto starts bringing money in again.

Edited by Beast, 19 March 2009 - 07:16 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!