• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Attila

Attila

Snake Eyes

• Expired Member
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:30 PM

We have a lot of trouble getting basic sh!t like wide-mouth Jars in Australia...

I just found a local site which seems to have some good supplies:

http://aussimushroom....com/spores.htm

Hopefully this helps some of you blokes with your studies...:headbang:

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:40 PM

moved to international forum.
thx for link.

#3 Attila

Attila

Snake Eyes

• Expired Member
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:16 AM

Thanks Hippe3

For those of you living in Queensland who have a genuine interest in Mycology, I suggest you join the Queensland Mycological Society

http://www.qms.asn.au/

I'm sure each state has their own branch, but if you are interested in learning more about macro Fungi Australia-wide, I suggest taking part in the National Botanic Gardens FUNGIMAP Project:

http://www.anbg.gov....i/fungimap.html

Each group conducts regular foray's into National Parks & State Forests around Australia to document the occurences of various Native & Introduced Macro Fungi

If you do go on a foray in NSW or Qld, keep an eye out for "Ghost Fungus" (Omphalotus Nidiformis). You definately can't eat it, and it won't get you high, but it will provide enough ambient light for you to read a newspaper in the middle of the Rainforest at night...
:teeth:

#4 ShinobiFeather

ShinobiFeather

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:58 AM

Thanks Attila !

I feel much more comfortable getting agar stuff from a mushy site, rather than a lab wholesaler who demands you create an account, give your phone number and pay by credit card :mistrust:

And man, was I disappointed when I received my first fungimap cd and there were no 'active' distribution maps... :eusa_snoo

But seriously, why are jars so important anyhow? If I could go back and replace those bloody scotch glass experiments with the d.i.y spawn bag tek from the archives i'd swimming in shrooms :headbang:

#5 Attila

Attila

Snake Eyes

• Expired Member
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:39 PM

Thanks Attila !

I feel much more comfortable getting agar stuff from a mushy site, rather than a lab wholesaler who demands you create an account, give your phone number and pay by credit card :mistrust:

And man, was I disappointed when I received my first fungimap cd and there were no 'active' distribution maps... :eusa_snoo

But seriously, why are jars so important anyhow? If I could go back and replace those bloody scotch glass experiments with the d.i.y spawn bag tek from the archives i'd swimming in shrooms :headbang:

No worries mate,

Yeah I agree, Lab wholesalers are too nosy...

D.I.Y. Spawn Bags? Hmmmn... Sounds good. Even though I'm drowning in spare jars right now I will have to check it out.

I've only ever done PF Tek before using Sawdust & Verm Cakes for Shitake's, so I'm new to the Psilocybe game.

P.S. Do you know anyone in Aust doing spawn for Lion's Mane?

#6 Attila

Attila

Snake Eyes

• Expired Member
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:40 PM

A WARNING TO ALL AUSSIES!

Watch out for Fruit Fly's!!!

The nasty little bastards will bore holes right through micropore tape and lay eggs in your Jars!

They seem to LOVE Brown Rice Flour cakes for some reason

I lost 4 BRF / Verm cakes last weekend to a Maggot infestation...:cry:

Cover your incubation chambers with ultra fine cheese cloth or something similar during fruit fly season unless maggots are your thing...:puke:

:horse:

#7 pepsigood

pepsigood

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:34 AM

http://www.redbacktrading.com.au/

is a good place for jars

#8 Lookin 2 Grow

Lookin 2 Grow

Is Growing ;)

• Expired Member
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:35 AM

Hey guys,
Cheers for the tips. Keep em' coming.
I'm due to start growing in the next month or so & all I have ATM is spores!!

:puke:

P8070006.jpg

#9 mini1200

mini1200

Mycophiliac

• Validating
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:22 PM

im going to use glasses instead of jars

#10 double

double

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:19 PM

I can't believe jars got so hard to come by

#11 Ethical

Ethical

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:41 PM

I use 500ml shouldered pasta sauce jars(get them whenever they are on special for under $2, you get a craptonne of free pasta sauce along with the jars) and put corn/WBS in them. Been working out well without doing the PF tek so far. I think PF tek only really works when the components are readily available at an affordable price. Otherwise, go with a tek that better suits your resources. Im not spending the rediculous local canning jar prices of 6$ each without gaskets,lids or clips. And a little worried about importing them, though amazon.com has great prices on shoulderless jars. Maybe one day..

#12 Lookin 2 Grow

Lookin 2 Grow

Is Growing ;)

• Expired Member
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:27 AM

For WBS I'm using 700ml Dolmio Sauce jars.

Really, any style of jar will do but these (which I luckily found on the side of the road) fit 9 perfectly into my PC.

For widemouth jars there are 2 main suppliers in Aus but they are forever out of stock. And they are VERY pricey. You gotta keep checking but they do come through at times..

http://www.redbacktr....au/index1.html

& http://www.aussimush...m/grow-jars.htm

(looks like they're all out ATM :( though)

For BRF I'd def recommend Ball or Kerr widemouths. 1/2 pints.

For WBS you can basically use any type of jar. Just make sure you make them AIRTIGHT by folding a couple o' foil layers (or glad wrap) over the lip before screwing the lids on & PCing..

Hope this helps!!

Peace, L2G

#13 Ethical

Ethical

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:34 AM

Hmm... Never had contam issues without adding a foil layer between lid and jar of my pasta jars.. Seems the original seal works fine for me. From what I saw, that aussiemushroomsuppliers is kinda rediculously priced, like our retail stores. Amazon.com sells that stuff but at half the price or better, thats including shipping. Got my 23 quart PC off amazon for 107$(inc shipping) and the same one on AMS is 200 and somthing before shipping.

I'd seriously just skip the PF tek here in australia, widemouths are difficult to source and when you find some they are not worth the asking price. Noone should have to pay over 6$ per jar minus lid and seal rings.(amazon 12packs for quart jars not including shipping are 14$)

#14 Chimera

Chimera

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:04 AM

Appreciate the local info... between trying to digest information practical to my situation, and struggling to find the correct hardware, I thought my head was going to explode... Thanks for the tips on WBS and/or popcorn. At least now I have a tek to focus on...

Any tips for a fellow skippy looking for prints?

#15 Ethical

Ethical

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:21 AM

For obtaining prints, ralphtersspores ships to australia, so does mycrotopia(print prices are not listed so you might need to PM mrs.hip3 about it). Both are linked in the sponsor page here http://mycotopia.net...r-sponsors.html

Paying for them is a real pain though. You used to be able to get international money orders made out in US$ from Australia Post but they changed the service to some kind of electronic transfer BS.

So you need to get one through a bank, I think they are called bank drafts(if i remember correctly) but are considered the same as an international money order.

Oh and I wouldn't bother trying to get a syringe in through customs. I've read that it's a very bad idea.

#16 Chimera

Chimera

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:27 AM

Thanks Ethical.... more than happy for my business to go somewhere that supports this site...

#17 gett

gett

Know Thyself

• Validating
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:18 PM

does anybody knows any european website/supplier that sells wide-mouth Mason Jars and other accessories, spores? or anything related to mycology (i'm from East Europe / Romania)

#18 ENtiTY

ENtiTY

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:57 AM

Ralphtersspores no longer stocks prints, only spore syringes.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!