• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Grimocin

Grimocin

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:34 PM

I've posted this on the shroomery but I thought people here might be interested.

I won't go into too much detail.

Cultivation was as follows:
Spores to agar to barley grain to shredded wood mulch (mostly douglas fir) with a verm/coir casing.

The first 4 pics are from the first flush, the last 2 are from the 2nd flush. The grain was spawned to the wood mulch in Oct. The casing started pinning a few days after x-mas and matured in mid-Jan. 2nd flush started to pin at the start of Feb and matured by mid-Feb. The casing was kept in a small shotgun style FC (same as RR's cube FC) with perlite. The FC was kept in the basement where temps stayed in the 45-55f range. They were misted and fanned twice a day.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1298-1024.jpg
  • 100_1166-1024.jpg
  • 100_1153-1024.jpg
  • 100_1235-1024.jpg
  • 100_1295-1024.jpg
  • 100_1161-1024.jpg

• the_other_chap, the_chosen_one and Aqua Velva like this

#2 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:38 PM

love it. thank you so much. :bow:

heh, this is gonna be a good one. :)

type of lighting?

#3 Grimocin

Grimocin

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:55 PM

I used a 13 watt compact fluorescent in a workshop clamp lamp. The kind with the metal bowl for a reflector. Up until the 2nd flush they got a 12on/12off cycle.

When the 2nd flush started to pin I left town for 10 days and they had light the whole time and no mistings or fannings.

I got a few good prints off the first flush, though most of them printed very lightly. The 2nd flush looked as though it would have made great prints if I would have returned home 2 or 3 days earlier. The casing was a deep purple after the 2nd flush. Unfortunately they seemed a little to far gone to get clean prints from. Today I noticed 2 small specks of lime green mold on the casing. I might attempt to cover the mold in salt and maybe stall it enough for a 3rd flush to happen. Either way in the end the casing will be buried in my garden with some manure and woodchips.

#4 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:01 PM

i figured fluorescent. those are nice and straight.

really nice! i've worked with this species outdoors a lot over the years.. a few attempts indoors. not as good as yours though. i love the way you managed to keep them a bit dry. really shows the proverbial blue ring ;)

:heart:

#5 Grimocin

Grimocin

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:15 AM

I attribute my success to 2 things.

#1 - I had a basement with the perfect fruiting temps since the basement isn't heated during the fall/winter.

#2 - I used the same type of mulch that I found the original wild specimens in. You can see the type of mulch in the pictures below.

The attached pictures are of the parents of my culture. The culture was started as a multi-spore streak on agar then I isolated a nice fast (compared to the rest) colony.

Attached Thumbnails

• stuntziiwild2.jpg
  • stuntziiwild.jpg

#6 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:51 PM

great shots grimocin. keep em coming!:headbang:

#7 seedlessstinky1

seedlessstinky1

Stinks

• Expired Member
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:59 PM

Awesome shrooms!:bow:

Love how tall and straight they are. Way to go. :eusa_clap

#8 LotRev

LotRev

Technopagan

• Expired Member
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

Those are beautiful.

Excellent job! :bow:

#9 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:16 PM

I attribute my success to 2 things.

#1 - I had a basement with the perfect fruiting temps since the basement isn't heated during the fall/winter.

#2 - I used the same type of mulch that I found the original wild specimens in. You can see the type of mulch in the pictures below.

The attached pictures are of the parents of my culture. The culture was started as a multi-spore streak on agar then I isolated a nice fast (compared to the rest) colony.

iso work wasn't bad either. :heart:

#10 Dr.Hallucination

Dr.Hallucination

Chasing the Rabbit.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

Nice Job Grimocin.:eusa_clapBeautiful...Posted Image

#11 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,324 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:41 AM

Way to capitalize on the temperature advantages offered seasonally in your home. I encouraged fruiting of some of my projects in much the same manner.
Thank you for sharing.

#12 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:05 PM

:bow: Very cool stuff. The cold basement is a great idea. Lovely pics and great job!:headbang: Congrats G. Foster

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!