Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Do you believe in Destiny?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you believe in Destiny

Do you believe in Destiny

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:36 AM

Destiny: "a predetermined course of events often held to be an irresistible power or agency".

No such thing? Or are you lost and just haven't seen the lighted path?

Please discuss, as I've been feeling like I've been hit by a destiny hammer lately, and would like some external, objective opinions.
  • stonedcoder likes this

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:47 AM

i think some people have a certain role to play in the unfolding of future history,
but not all.
as i've mentioned elsewhere/when,
i see Life as a Great Theatrical Drama,
the so-called 'greatest story ever told'.
god is the playwright and director,
we are the actors.
some have leading roles [ a certain destiny ]
and others have mere bit parts not central to the plot.
btw
the drama, unfortunately, is a tragedy in the classic greek sense-
no matter how valiantly or nobly we struggle,
we still end up dead.

#3 Ben Dover

Ben Dover

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:52 AM

I believe that we have a predetermined path in life.

That said I also believe that just because God knows what we are going to do does not mean that we don't have a choice in our decisions in life.

I had this discussion with a friend the other day but I just can't seem to remember some of the stuff we discussed. Then again we were trying to concentrate on work among other stuff. When it comes to me I'll report back.

Nice thread BM :)

#4 stonedcoder

stonedcoder

table for 2 @ RATEOTU

• Expired Member
  • 517 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:22 AM

if (big if) i believe in god (still very undecided - long story for another thread, but my continuing search for a purpose in this life is what led me to the topia)

...anyway - if i believe in god - then the closest i would come would be the god that Einstein envisioned... so no i do not believe in any kind of destiny or that any entity (god or otherwise) is involved in my life in any way shape or form...

Einstein stated that "My position concerning God is that of an agnostic. I am convinced that a vivid consciousness of the primary importance of moral principles for the betterment and ennoblement of life does not need the idea of a law-giver, especially a law-giver who works on the basis of reward and punishment."[55] Einstein also stated: "I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth."

#5 0omnidirectional

0omnidirectional

0omnitologist

• Expired Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

I believe there is a higher order, divine forces that can be independent of our perspectives. I believe that all viewpoints (illusions) are distortions of Ultimate Reality. I do not believe that our distortions are subject to absolute determinism or fatalism. The universe is like a complex adaptive system, with a multitude of bifurcation points that can completely change the nature of the collective being. No one can completely predict what being will emerge, so when you or higher intelligences influence details, the outcome can be very different from your intent. I believe there are higher dimensional entities of consciousness that can influence our minds and decisions. This is not necessarilly a bad thing, nor is it good. But one can develop the mind to perceive which thoughts are your own and which are from external sources. I believe every soul belongs to a soul group, and every soul group belongs to a Monad. This Monad has layed out a multitude of experiences that you will inevitably have to face. The path you choose in overcomming this challenge is entirely up to you.

I picked "Yes", becuase it leans closer to that option.
  • stonedcoder likes this

#6 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:05 PM

i think some people have a certain role to play in the unfolding of future history,
but not all.

That said I also believe that just because God knows what we are going to do does not mean that we don't have a choice in our decisions in life.

I believe every soul belongs to a soul group, and every soul group belongs to a Monad. This Monad has layed out a multitude of experiences that you will inevitably have to face. The path you choose in overcoming this challenge is entirely up to you.

All very good points, and by my selections of what has been said I think that the existence of the Tinkering Watchmaker God doesn't even have to play into what may be or feel like, destiny. 0omni, I think you've got a good grasp of my jive here with the higher orders of beings that can have drastic affects on our lives without us doing much of anything.

As to the choosing your own path, I believe that blazing your own trail with a machete, when God has already plowed a path for you with his Demiweedwhacker, might seem like you're doing the independent thing, but you're still in the same forest, and if you ever make it to the clearing, its still the same fuckin clearing, just was alot harder to get to, if you even make it.

A few years ago I was presented with an opportunity, that I guess I just was too selfish to believe it could be real or that I could be worthy of it. I ran away, didn't make it far, crashed and burned and was crippled(metaphorically). I think alot of people have become lost in life in this post 9/11 world. What happened caused alot of disillusionment and confusion, and there's a great many people who lost faith in America, and in themselves as Americans. That's what this whole economic recession is about. We're questioning if we're still good people at heart, we're shocked that the people we trusted with our money and security have just gone and done what they wanted with it, and ignored the responsibilities that we trusted them with.

Its weird how so many factors in life can line up. I think there's varying degrees of participation, and though there may be some lead roles that get alot of attention, I think that the chance anonymous encounter is where some of the greatest good can be done in life. I think that's something that most anyone who's a member here can appreciate, as we all aim to live that way in our anonymous interactions with each other (for the most part).

Personally, I believe it was Destiny that brought me here. Regardless of whether I'm really a puppet on strings, or if I'm the puppet master with my own hand up my ass, this creation of thought and imagination that says these connections are worth being motivated about, and that if I can see it, follow it, I think I'll stop all this flailing about as if I'm trying to swim on asphalt. Much of my time here I've spent wallowing around in the mud of despair over a mess of a life that I had created for myself. Often it becomes difficult to see the path in the forest because of the way it meanders. Getting impatient during one of those long out of the way loops life often throws at us only makes you loster.

It certainly seems like I'm making a leap of faith, though nothings different really, no major action is being required of me, other than a change in perspective. But it sure becomes easier knowing i'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing, it allows me to relax and just be me, instead of trying to somehow control every aspect of my life.

Rather than trying to figure out where the path is going, or to make my own path, I've found that just concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other will get me to where I'm supposed to be/want to be alot faster. The Path will take care of itself, Trust in It, and focus on walking upright and smelling the flowers along the way.

#7 Ras Asad

Ras Asad

Amor vincit omnia

• Expired Member
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:32 PM

good thread beast. :love:

of course i believe in Destiny. :meditate:

no matter how valiantly or nobly we struggle,
we still end up dead.

but only our bone bags,
so.. our bodies/bonebags end up dead...
the true WE however.. i believe WE do not die.
noone ever really dies.

:love:

#8 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

I'm a firm believer in living well. Just because the earth is going to get swallowed by the sun in 4 million years is no reason to say fuck it and jump off a cliff. Its hard at times, :eusa_booh, but it ain't over til they pour the concrete on your coffin. There's plenty of weed to smoke in the meantime anyways, why would you want to miss out on that??

Thinking about this thread, reminded me of another, and then a couple more connections were made, and it seems to just go right along with this whole thing. http://mycotopia.net...t-new-post.html

#9 Ras Asad

Ras Asad

Amor vincit omnia

• Expired Member
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:44 PM

well said bro...

except...

but it ain't over til they pour the concrete on your coffin.

lol, that is far from "over" m'friend.
over the 'horizon' maybe... thats about it.. lol
:love:

#10 feralronin

feralronin

Professional Amateur

• Expired Member
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:44 AM

Isn't destiny and fate really the same thing.

I don't believe in fate, so I would say no.
  • Om shanti likes this

#11 ifyoucouldsee

ifyoucouldsee

I'm a igloo

• Expired Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:27 AM

I take comfort in knowing this means nothing.
  • Om shanti likes this

#12 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:06 AM

If ignorance is bliss why put such an emphasis on knowing, on awakening?

Is there truely no meaning to life or are you comforting yourself by wearing a blindfold?

Fate is what happens to you when you don't seek out your Destiny.

Generally it results from denying the affect you are having on the environment around you, be it natural, spiritual, social, or economic, imho.

#13 Guest_mystic_*

Guest_mystic_*

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:37 AM

MMMMMMM destiny. Are we there yet. One of the best fiction series I have ever read pertaining to this is Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality.

#14 Mermaidia

Mermaidia

Sober Sister

• Expired Member
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:44 AM

I believe we have different paths, like options. Road A, B, C, etc...
The choices we make, dictate the life we lead.
I believe we all have lessons to learn while we are here and situations arise to teach us those lessons.

#15 dpwishy

dpwishy

A Fisher Of Souls

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 1,967 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:50 AM

or are you comforting yourself by wearing a blindfold?

:bow:

All will see one day,
in this life or 10,000,
that's the beauty of existence.

love, peace, compassion and respect
-wishy

#16 Shady Ways

Shady Ways

Audiophile

• Expired Member
  • 296 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:36 PM

I believe our lifespans and the limits of our intellects prevent us, whether by accident or design, from ever seeing enough of the pieces to put the puzzle together.

I have a friend who believes that our lives are nothing more than interpersonal struggles for control over one another. I was saddened when he revealed this to me because it immediately limits (from my perspective) so much of our potential as human beings. It also changed our relationship in many ways, because it created constant questions relating to motive subsequently changing the way I reacted to our interactions.

Over the years I believe I've observed many people who use "fate & destiny" as a way of abdicating responsibility for their choices, actions, decisions, etc., etc. a way, if you will, of quieting the "inner voice" or "guilt mechanism" that is wired into our brains... possibly forgiving themselves all indiscretions before they've been committed.

As living organisms we respond / react to stimuli. Our responses, in turn, create additional responses / reactions. As Socrates observed some 600 years before the birth of Christ, a man's nature determine's his fate. That is to say, if you cause enough of the same actions consistently, a trend of similar reactions will result (otherwise called "fate & destiny"). Similar to echoes... Echoes are a part of the physical laws governing acoustics, and it's difficult, make that impossible, to challenge the physical laws of nature.

I believe we can, in many ways, "manage" our destinies, but we can never fully control them. We drive ourselves crazy or into depression by attempting to derive an answer to "why" things happen.

When it comes to interpersonal relationships... the more one tries to manage, maneuver, manipulate another, the less all parties will get out of it.

A small part of my two cents...

#17 P4ulada

P4ulada

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 945 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:53 PM

How do you explain deja vus ? hihi

#18 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:14 PM

Deja vu is an accidental wormhole (to another dimension of space time that is related to your current position) that is much like a yawn or sneeze in origin.However, like the little dust devils that wander high plains deserts, there are much more powerful versions (tornados, hurricanes) that can be constructed with proper Set and Setting.

#19 Quadrupliplex

Quadrupliplex

Dimension Transient

• Expired Member
  • 208 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:25 PM

I think everything that happens in our lives is caused by an action we did or an action someone else did. I do not think their is a predestined course for anyone. I have also never understood why we as humans have to think that we are on the earth for a purpose. Is it not enough to just live? Why must everyone be searching for a purpose in life? Why not just live life the way you've wanted, within reason of course.

#20 Jose_sixpac

Jose_sixpac

Djembe~Woof

• Expired Member
  • 326 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:57 AM

When I first, understood the magnitude of what fractal Geometry meant to me...I had to grasp the concept that yes there is life out there, more than we can ever imagine...infinite and seemingly pre-destined to do the same thing it has always done.

Dega vu...

Now that might be a big chunk for some...for others it might not go far enough. So to be audacious enough to not concern myself with what God might be thinking about me at this very moment...or about my walk with (Him, Her?) at any given time in my life, would be and is profoundly misunderstood in certain circles.

Just the fact of how much is really out there, yet how much our lives revolve around ourselves in respect to "All" which existence shows, dramatically prooves the utter contempt...and the personal folly...the roux we have with and about God.

A. If there were a God...Gods concern about "would-be" humanity would be...Naught!
Or maybe it can be compared to our concern about a single mushroom in a carpet of fungi as vast as the universe, in touch with everything yet not interfering other than the giving of life.

If you picture mycelium as the nebulized dust of distant galaxies, you are watching life as we know it in our own little world.

B. If God is a Creator, then natural selection is God's Auto pilot.

Thus only we can be our own undoing, all while revolving around ourselves, as we carry out the daily needs and wants of our lives as we have always done, leaving our own fingerprint, in the fractal we call " life and Times" of mankind.

I am a Scientist, thus I am science, an Artist, thus I am art, I am a Creator, thus in this bodily death, if successful...do I not still create?

Immortal, is not this matter that my bones exude? Yet still, mortally bound to earth by all I touch and all things that have touched me.

For Man's sake only...is God's comfort there for him.
Man made in some third world sweat shop, for our viewing and reading pleasure.

Don't know why I wrote that, but I will leave it at that for now...maybe I will understand it better when I am less basking in my own personal folly.

Breaking bad.

and feelin alright...ahh huh.

Namaste.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!