• Juthro likes this

#2122 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,351 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:53 AM

It should be noted that where Mikey was at was a LOT farther North then where I'm at.  He certainly got a taste of the real interior winter. 

I'm very close to the coast, and that mellows the weather extremes quite a bit.  I don't want to live where he was at.

With that said, its -15F outside right now with (-35 with windchill)....

This gives me a whole new perspective on what I call "freezing cold weather". I don't like to be outside for very long when I need a sweatshirt over my tee-shirt.............

The idea of your skin freezing to something, just because you touched it, is incomprehensible to me. It assures me no matter how beautiful what I have seen of Alaska (in August) may be, I could never live there unless I also had a winter home a whole lot closer to the equator.......................

• Juthro and SteampunkScientist like this

#2123 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,736 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:13 PM

Is that on your property Juth?

Fuck that.

Sorry, I should have put up a disclaimer,  that's not on my property, nor is it my photo.  It is from an old calendar of outhouses in Alaska.  Every month is a new crapper, lol.  ( This years photo gallery  - http://www.newsminer...b3e1af.html#29)

I have used some outdoor facilities that looked very similar, though I try not to when its the middle of winter.  But there are a lot of dry cabins (no electric, no running water) around where I live, and to the folks living in them it's just business as usual.  You've got to do, what you've got to do....

Personally I've got an indoor bathroom with a furnace vent in the floor right next to throne.  It blows warm air on the porcelain so that it doesn't accumulate a bunch of condensation from the very cold water being fed into it.  So if you know your going to be visiting the throne, you can kick up the furnace a few minutes early and preheat your seat, lol.

Edited by Juthro, 13 January 2019 - 02:13 PM.

• SteampunkScientist and MsBehavin420 like this

#2124 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,411 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:36 PM

I will have to admit that Alaska was probably the most beautiful state I have ever been to. Denali national park, the ice glaciers, aurora borealis, and the talkeetna music festival, not to mention salmon fishing were well worth the investment. However, you guys are a bunch of crazy lunatics to this here city gal lol. Wild wild west indeed! A group of us from the OMC got together and made a time of it. Sadly, a few who went are no longer with us.

• Juthro likes this

#2125 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,736 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:13 PM

Unfortunately they dont do the Talkeetna bluegrass festival anymore (a sad fact).  It got too big, and they had some problems.   It is really too bad, it was the biggest and best festival in the state IMHO.   Now it has been replaced by the Trapper Creek Revival, presented by the Boots Bison Ranch.  I've heard good things about it, but haven't been yet.

https://www.facebook...g&__tn__=HHH-R (pardon a facebook link, but you don't have to be a member to see what the show is about)

post-136504-0-91532600-1547413907.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 48383014_2225640014426910_6930304532417085440_n.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 13 January 2019 - 04:14 PM.

#2126 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 6,982 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:52 PM

Random vent... FUCK the USA Government and the horse you rode in on!

• onediadem, Juthro and MsBehavin420 like this

#2127 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 733 posts

Posted Today, 05:50 AM

Random vent... FUCK the USA Government and the horse you rode in on!

I use Pony bc its funnier to imagine

#2128 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 733 posts

Posted Today, 07:43 AM

Juthro....

So how'd we do with our 'Alaskan Wood Shed'
20190118_073701.jpg

20190118_073709.jpg

Are we up to snuff? Do we get the Alaskan two gloved thumbs up?
  • Juthro likes this

#2129 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,765 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 11:17 AM

Where I live, I have tried to put up tarps over a greenhouse frame that same shape and had the winds get under them and tear out all the grommets.  Such a structure needs sides and ends that keep the wind from getting under the cover.    Just last week, the fabric Costco carport that I keep two small tractors under got crushed in the wind, bending up and breaking the frame. 

#2130 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,736 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 01:35 PM

That'll pass for a least a season or two :)  

I'm more interested in meeting (meating?) this Karl Emher guy and discussing his German Deli..... (I'm dreaming of sausages now)

• SteampunkScientist likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!