• Please log in to reply
2938 replies to this topic

#2901 RiseUp

RiseUp

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 07:22 PM

A certification test is an exam which if I pass says "Here ya go take this piece of paper and be gone with ya because you're certified", but if failed says, "Come pay us some more and you can take it again".

The exam is what I've been on track for the past couple years. Getting different viewpoints on the outcome, so quit asking. Think it's normal to feel the pressure.

#2902 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 October 2022 - 10:06 AM

One of my neighbors shot a sub-legal sized bull moose, and left the entire animal to waste in an attempt to avoid getting a ticket.  Someone tipped off the wildlife troopers (no, it wasn't me, but only because I didn't know about it at the time).  Wanton waste of game is a big deal, and is taken seriously here.   He got arrested, they confiscated his 25-06 rifle, his 45 ACP pistol, and his Polaris 500 ATV (they are all forfeited to the state).   He also got 180 days (172 suspended) in jail, $3500 in fines, and 5 years probation, with his hunting/fishing privilege's also being suspended for 5 years.  Plus they added an additional 10 days in jail due to the fact he was operating a motorized vehicle (the ATV) while on probation for DUI.

I personally think he got off easy.

Not much of a hunter myself  these days but I do have respect for it and for those that take the time and effort to do it right.  Seems easy enough in that moment to just walk away and think nobody will find out but he is sure paying for that thought now.  I would like to believe if he admitted his fault things would not have turned out as bad for him. Mistakes do happen right Dick Chaney

Question: Are their provisions where he would be allowed or someone else would be allowed to process said animal after it was alerted to the fish cops? 

• Mycol likes this

#2903 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,350 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 October 2022 - 11:47 AM

Absolutely, if he had contacted the wildlife troopers immediately they would have harvested the animal and it would be donated to a shelter or a soup kitchen.   Also he would have only received a ticket, with no confiscation of weapons or vehicles, and no criminal charges. 

• Arathu and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#2904 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,350 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 November 2022 - 06:49 PM

So I've got a neighbor who can't keep his damn sheep penned up.    We had the same problem with last years sheep up until they were hauled off to slaughter.  This year he has 3, and I just got done chasing them out from under my garage overhang, where they had knocked over the garbage can full of rabbit pellets I had stored there.   I went over and let the neighbors know their animals were out.  I wasn't happy, but I didn't yell, and I didn't say any unkind things even if I was thinking them.

The owner came over a little while later to offer me a shoulder roast to try and smooth things over.  I told him I didn't want his roast, and that maybe he should sell it and put the money towards getting some better fencing.

I'm curious what advice my friends here have for dealing with this situation, cuz I feel like I'm just going in circles with it all at this point and my head is about to exsplode....

• Coopdog and Arathu like this

#2905 RiseUp

RiseUp

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 November 2022 - 09:31 PM

So I've got a neighbor who can't keep his damn sheep penned up.    We had the same problem with last years sheep up until they were hauled off to slaughter.  This year he has 3, and I just got done chasing them out from under my garage overhang, where they had knocked over the garbage can full of rabbit pellets I had stored there.   I went over and let the neighbors know their animals were out.  I wasn't happy, but I didn't yell, and I didn't say any unkind things even if I was thinking them.

The owner came over a little while later to offer me a shoulder roast to try and smooth things over.  I told him I didn't want his roast, and that maybe he should sell it and put the money towards getting some better fencing.

I'm curious what advice my friends here have for dealing with this situation, cuz I feel like I'm just going in circles with it all at this point and my head is about to exsplode....

What are the laws in your neck of the woods? You could freak him out and say his sheep are looking mighty pretty lately.

• Juthro likes this

#2906 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,350 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2022 - 10:18 PM

What are the laws in your neck of the woods? You could freak him out and say his sheep are looking mighty pretty lately.

Lol, that reminds me of an inappropriate joke that involved sheep, and Velcro gloves....

• RiseUp likes this

#2907 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,076 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2022 - 10:52 AM

But..........I swear I was helping that sheep back through the fence. :mellow:

• Juthro likes this

#2908 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,350 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2022 - 11:48 AM

But..........I swear I was helping that sheep back through the fence. :mellow:

LOL :)  I knew that my friends here would help me laugh about this.

Thank you for that :)

I'm curious, do y'all think it was wrong of me to refuse to take the shoulder roast as an apology payment for having to deal with the neighbors sheep?  I'll be honest, and those that know me will agree.  I'm often hot headed, and I'm not always good at dealing with people, especially  in person.  It's one of the reasons I chose to live at the end of the road to nowhere.   I've found for me that less interaction makes for less incarcerations,  and that is a good thing for everyone :)

So honest perspective of my peers is welcomed, and appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

• Coopdog likes this

#2909 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,076 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2022 - 02:58 PM

I would have taken the roast (I think)- since you asked. But that's just me.

I'm a bit volatile too so I can't really say what I would have done given the circumstances. HIndsight being what it is and all that.

"Good fences make for good neighbors."

• Coopdog and Juthro like this

#2910 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,350 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2022 - 05:41 PM

Yeah, I took a jar of home made jelly last year when the sheep ate the Marion berry bush we brought up with us from Oregon when me moved here.  This time they knocked over the metal garbage can we had the rabbit food in and helped themselves.

I felt like if I took the roast I would be saying what's happening was OK.... IDK.   I was mad, and I didn't want to be pacified.  I also have had other issues with this neighbor in the past, so I'm willing to admit I've got a bit of a hostile pre-disposition. 

#2911 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 06:05 PM

How many sheep does he have?

#2912 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,076 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2022 - 08:56 PM

That was my thought all along. I would have been bent out of shape over the rabbit pellets. Alfalfa is expensive.

I have some shitty neighbors too. I"m trying to be "cool" and let them be since they're (at least) trying to be good neighbors.

Some folks just don't deserve to live indoors. I think I'm being fair. Life lived on Life's terms would result in death for most folks. Whether through social grievances or pure ignorance - Life will teach you the lesson.

I'm just sayin'

Be Good Brother. I love you. and yours.

Edited by Myc, 07 November 2022 - 08:58 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#2913 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 8,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2022 - 10:11 PM

I tend myself to keep it civil, but make my point very clear with neighbor problems. I totally get not taking the roast, because I would feel like that would signify it was over, and I am sure you expect him to make some better effort to keep the sheep restrained.

• Arathu and Juthro like this

#2914 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,677 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2022 - 06:12 PM

Eastwards it's gummy boots and........Sheeeeep? Besides.....she-e-e-e-ep LIE...... :ohmy:

For some reason I'm never surprised when it makes the local news......

Personally speaking I'm very straight forward with neighbors in just about any capacity they choose to engage in...and most people I know are good folks.....sheep I stay away from, mostly, but I will wear wool....

He offered a roast so you didn't decide to take one of his whole sheep for payment the next time they showed up at your place.... :chucks: ........What sheep? Maybe send them back shaved.....

EDIT: (not in winter of course, there's that, damned!)

A

Edited by Arathu, 08 November 2022 - 06:24 PM.

• Myc, Juthro and MushLuvR like this

#2915 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2022 - 06:26 PM

Absolutely, if he had contacted the wildlife troopers immediately they would have harvested the animal and it would be donated to a shelter or a soup kitchen.   Also he would have only received a ticket, with no confiscation of weapons or vehicles, and no criminal charges. 

Yeah that makes it even worse then, often there are health and safety roadblocks that amount to waste and it sucks. Thinking about situations where they made it "illegal" for homeless people to try to help themselves like dumpster diving for old bread. Or other times when I have been a part of the clean up crew when a semi trailer spills into the ditch on the highway. So much good food is considered now toxic waste, sad when you can see with your own eyes it perfectly fine yet due to lawsuits and liability they wont let anyone take it it and dispose of it

As far as the sheep situation goes

I find its better to accept gifts in life. Everyone wins that way. That being said I must admit your response did garner a bit of a chuckle due to the brashness of it but I do appreciate the honesty, and I find most folk do as well. He likely walked away with a bit of a bruised ego trying to extend the olive branch and all but if it motivated him to fix the fence I would say a heart felt thank you for fixing it would go a long way if your looking to try to heal the situation.

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 16 November 2022 - 06:40 PM.

• Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#2916 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,350 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2022 - 02:20 AM

I dont disagree with you Rooster.   The problem is that this behavior isn't a one off.   It's not just these current sheep, we've had the same problem with this neighbor for years now with various animals.  From his dogs, chickens, ducks, sheep.... they've all escaped at one time or another and ended up at our place. 

It's not like I haven't been willing to help these people out.  I saved their house from freezing up one winter when it was -20F here and they were in the lower 48 for their daughter giving birth to her first child.  I was watching their place, and tending their animals when their gas boiler went tits up.  I had to go over there twice a day to light fires in their fireplaces (upstairs and downstairs) to keep the plumbing from freezing up until the plumber got there 4 days later.  That was on top of still feeding and watering their animals, and clearing the snow from their 300 yard driveway just so I could get in and out of there.  IMO I think I've been a pretty good neighbor.

I've been accepting the gifts,, and apologies for the last 10 years, and nothing has changed, if anything it's gotten worse.   So I've decided that if I want a change I needed to be the one to make it happen.  I don't want a feud with my neighbors, I just want them to respect me and my property by keeping their animals home.   It's worth noting that in the 10 years we've lived here none of our animals have ever got loose and wondered to anyone else's property.

I know I am hard headed, and confrontational at times, but I dont think I'm being unreasonable on this one.  I actually feel I've put a lot of self restraint into not losing my cool, it hasn't been easy for me to do that. 

Refusing the roast has gotten me more response than anything else I've done to date, and now that I've had time to live with that decision for a while I feel confident it was the right one to make.

Edited by Juthro, 17 November 2022 - 02:22 AM.

• Arathu and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#2917 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,350 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2022 - 02:41 AM

Yeah that makes it even worse then, often there are health and safety roadblocks that amount to waste and it sucks. Thinking about situations where they made it "illegal" for homeless people to try to help themselves like dumpster diving for old bread. Or other times when I have been a part of the clean up crew when a semi trailer spills into the ditch on the highway. So much good food is considered now toxic waste, sad when you can see with your own eyes it perfectly fine yet due to lawsuits and liability they wont let anyone take it it and dispose of it

We are really against wasting game up here.  They actually have a roadkill program, though it's been on and off again over the last few years due to funding.  You sign up on a list for when a moose is killed on the highway they call you to take it.   They have a truck that will pick it up, and bring it to you when your name comes up to the top of the list.   Granted there is a lot of meat that can't be salvaged with an accident like that, but moose are huge, and there is a lot of meat that is still good.

I've never signed up for the program.  For one, I think there are other people that need it worse than me, and for two that is shit ton of work to suddenly have dropped in your driveway at 2am when it's -15 outside.  Also, any hunter knows that game tastes like what it's been eating, and moose don't have many good eats in February here in Alaska.  But if your freezer was empty, it will put a lot of protein in in, and it does a good job at not wasting an animal.  It's not bad eating really, but you have to adjust how you use it.   Think lots of moose chili :)

So you can kind of see our attitude up here for a person that kills an animal like that, and just leave it to waste.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#2918 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2022 - 05:58 PM

I hear ya, some people mean well but can't seem to get their shit together on certain things and they grate on a persons patience. Not hard to understand a man just wants some peace on his property. The sorry's can only go so far, show me you really care by fixing the issue please. I don't think you were being unreasonable at all, just speaking your mind.  I suppose what I was imagining was his surprise on what he assumed would " make it right ". You gave him the clue he needed

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 18 November 2022 - 06:01 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#2919 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• OG VIP
  • 3,481 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2022 - 04:55 PM

Four weeks to wait until I can have my gallbladder removed. Two gallstones. One is two centimetres wide. That's massive.
Will be hooked on OxyContin by then.
All this time I thought I had lung pain from smoking. Was my pancreas behind my lungs copping backflow from my blocked gallbladder. Itchy feet, sore shoulder, bloated stomach.
Feels like a kick in the guts everytime I eat.

#2920 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• OG VIP
  • 3,481 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2023 - 11:25 AM

Gnawwws. Thanks for the cares.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!