Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Trichocereus Bridgesii on Pereskiopsis ready for degrafting.

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 Burger

Burger

Old Hand.

• Validating
  • 596 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:27 PM

The lights I use are 4 x 4' fluorescent tubes spaced about four inches apart, and that covers 6 regular grow trays (you can fit up to 40 of the pots/tubes I use into one single grow tray) so it really is an efficient way to grow alot of plants.

I use a mixture of cool white tubes and Grolux tubes, spaced evenly apart. Cool white tubes will work ok by themselves, but the Grolux tubes emmitt a broader light spectrum which I believe when used in conjunction with cool white tubes benifits the plants.

They are run on an 18/6 schedule (18 hours on, 6 hours off) per day.

If you are unfamilar with Grolux, they are manufactured by Sylvania and are commonly used to light aquariums to promote plant growth (they emmit a purple light).

Obviously everyone's light requirements will be determined by the number of plants they wish to grow.

I'm sure cfl's would work well too but I like the coverage that the normal flouro tubes offer, and they are cheap.

#22 Burger

Burger

Old Hand.

• Validating
  • 596 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:33 PM

I forgot to mention that you want the lights as close as possible to the tops of the plants without touching them, an inch or two is perfect.

#23 Guest_jay pheno_*

Guest_jay pheno_*

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:45 PM

ty , :headbang:

#24 Burger

Burger

Old Hand.

• Validating
  • 596 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:47 AM

It has been just three weeks since getting the chop and check out the regrowth off the remaining bridgesii stumps.

Pupping like crazy! :cacti:

The power of the Peres has made them explode with new growth. I am not expecting the same vigor seen from the original grafts, but it will be interesting to see how they progress and I'm sure they will still leave seed grown specimens for dead, not to mention look cool :pirate:

Attached Thumbnails

• 3.JPG
  • 1.JPG
  • 2.JPG

#25 Irishlion

Irishlion

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:55 AM

It has been just three weeks since getting the chop and check out the regrowth off the remaining bridgesii stumps.

Pupping like crazy! :cacti:

The power of the Peres has made them explode with new growth. I am not expecting the same vigor seen from the original grafts, but it will be interesting to see how they progress and I'm sure they will still leave seed grown specimens for dead, not to mention look cool :pirate:

Hmm I wonder how the grafting and rapid growth effects their akaliod content? BTW, Nice work. IME cactus grown in artifical light kept out of the elements are Never close to being as strong as their outdoor stressed brethern. Perhaps make a tea from 2 feet of those and tell us how it went?

#26 Burger

Burger

Old Hand.

• Validating
  • 596 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:05 AM

Hmm I wonder how the grafting and rapid growth effects their akaliod content? BTW, Nice work. IME cactus grown in artifical light kept out of the elements are Never close to being as strong as their outdoor stressed brethern. Perhaps make a tea from 2 feet of those and tell us how it went?

Hi Irishlion, I propagate and graft under artificial lights simply to get the initial head start on growth.

After they have been degrafted and potted up they go outside where they continue to grow under natural sunlight.

I can't personally comment on indoor vs outdoor potency levels, as I really don't know, although I would be in inclined to agree with you regarding the outdoor grown being stronger. It also appears the age of the material is a determining factor in potency.

#27 Burger

Burger

Old Hand.

• Validating
  • 596 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:09 AM

Where they're at now....

Attached Thumbnails

• regrowth.JPG

• Nunyabiz likes this

#28 steeq

steeq

Searching....

• Expired Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:21 PM

Amazing thread, thank you :eusa_clap

#29 Guest_jay pheno_*

Guest_jay pheno_*

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

that is wicked cool ! :bow::bow::bow::bow:

#30 Guest_mystic_*

Guest_mystic_*

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:29 PM

WOW thats some major growth.

:heartbeat

#31 Nunyabiz

Nunyabiz

Teonanacatl

• Free Member
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

Holy shit burger.. I cant believe I missed this.. Freakin amazing! congrats dude!!! Those bridgesii's are fantastic.. Deffinately a rep + there..

Edited by Nunyabiz, 15 May 2009 - 07:03 PM.
Found the answer when reading..

#32 Burger

Burger

Old Hand.

• Validating
  • 596 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:25 PM

Thanks for all the kind words guys :love:

#33 mushhut

mushhut

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 936 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:58 PM

Very very nice grow bro. :cool:

#34 UrbanHermit

UrbanHermit

plant nerd

• Expired Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:46 PM

Would peruvianus seedlings graft onto Pereskiopsis alright? I have a couple pots full. Thinking about grafting half of them after seeing this thread... :cacti:

#35 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 03:49 PM

When I was a kid, I was deep into grafting- and I've been considering something...

Whaddaya think would happen if one was to nip the top of the peres and insert a bridgesii seed? I wonder if it would root into the peres, or just grow out of it?

or nothing at all?

#36 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:07 PM

Allright... Ima graft some bridgesii to some peres now...

:)

#37 HellDragon

HellDragon

Oneirophrenic

• Expired Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:24 PM

Those bridgesiis look awesome!

#38 Burger

Burger

Old Hand.

• Validating
  • 596 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:42 AM

Would peruvianus seedlings graft onto Pereskiopsis alright? I have a couple pots full. Thinking about grafting half of them after seeing this thread... :cacti:

Thanks mushhut, HellDragon.

UrbanHermit, Peruvianus will graft just fine to Peres, as will just about all Trichocereus/Echinopsis.

Grafting a heap of Trich's to Peres is a good way to build up numbers for future long-term grafting stocks for use on slower growing species like Loph's, Ariocarpus etc.

Degraft the Trich's when they are ready, let them grow for another year or so, then graft the slow grower's back onto them.

#39 Burger

Burger

Old Hand.

• Validating
  • 596 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:54 AM

When I was a kid, I was deep into grafting- and I've been considering something...

Whaddaya think would happen if one was to nip the top of the peres and insert a bridgesii seed? I wonder if it would root into the peres, or just grow out of it?

or nothing at all?

Hey catdaddy.

Although I haven't tried it, my guess would be nothing would happen, as the seed would have no vascular ring to bond to the Peres.

I think the Peres would eventually heal on top, push the seed off and sprout new growth.

Just guessing though, you never know until you have a go :)
  • stonedcoder likes this

#40 sanpedro44

sanpedro44

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:09 AM

Just finishing degrafting these babies.

I will let them heal/callous for a week then pot them up. :headbang:

dude,when I saw this thread I immediately created a user id for this forum,nice work!I have a question as I'm a noob cacti grower,can I graft a pedro to a macrogonus?:cacti:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!