Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Trichocereus Bridgesii on Pereskiopsis ready for degrafting.

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61 paph

paph

Future Sailor

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:24 AM

Nice update pics Burger!:thumbup:

#62 kasimir

kasimir

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:42 PM

thats wonderful Burger, I'm gonna do to grafting of peruvianus and pachanoi on pereskiopsis and i would like to know how often do you give water to pereskiopsis and what kind of soil do you use.

#63 bumber

bumber

Sporocarpus Fruiticus

• Expired Member
  • 308 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:54 AM

thats wonderful Burger, I'm gonna do to grafting of peruvianus and pachanoi on pereskiopsis and i would like to know how often do you give water to pereskiopsis and what kind of soil do you use.

you dont want to water the pere's for almost a week before grafting, let teh soil dry out almost bone dry. If you graft onto 'wet' pere's the seedlings will get pushed off by the water 'bleeding' out of the pere. When you let them dry out like this the sap holds them just fine, but too wet the slide off dont stick etc.

I dont think you can over water a pere after a graft has started growing, and if it's not planned for grafting you can water it almost everyday in the growing season, everyday in dry/hot areas where the soil dry quickly.

I have grafted pedro to pere as soon as 2 weeks from seed, as soon as they get the 2 little 'forks' I graft. I find it is a little easier to wait till you see 2 sets of spines as that makes them sit on the pere better, but either way works. I dont know what kind of soil to use, I just use regular potting soil and mix ferts with water :weedpoke:

#64 Mermaidia

Mermaidia

Sober Sister

• Expired Member
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:13 AM

Great thread Burger!

Those cacti are beautiful!

:bow:

#65 copelandiaKidd

copelandiaKidd

I am

• Free Member
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:26 AM

those lookin wikid!!!!

#66 weeeeeee

weeeeeee

humanoid

• Expired Member
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:57 PM

damn those are freaking beautiful:bow:

#67 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

Wow man that is some beautifull cacti right there! :bow:
Ill be sure to give this a try!

#68 Frequency

Frequency

Code Demon

• OG VIP
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:05 PM

Simply amazing Burger! Much rep on that note. Those earlier pics of them pupping after the degraft up to this point within 7 months or so is simply astonishing. I've heard great results restoring potency to grafted cacti by leaving them in soil for a year after a graft. This is truly an unexplored area in many respects.

Great research Burg! :eusa_clap

#69 buteo

buteo

Imbicilzzzz

• OG VIP
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:17 PM

wow!

#70 Burger

Burger

Old Hand.

• Validating
  • 596 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:16 AM

i would like to know how often do you give water to pereskiopsis and what kind of soil do you use.
Thanks

My Peres are grown in store-bought gereral purpose premium potting soil, straight out of the bag, no special mix.

I don't water excessively, just when they begin to dry out slightly (approx. once every 5 - 7 days) this can vary depending on the moisture retention of the soil, pot size, environmental conditions etc.

I water from the bottom, by soaking the trays in a tub of water until the pots are fully saturated, then let them drain out.

you dont want to water the pere's for almost a week before grafting, let teh soil dry out almost bone dry. If you graft onto 'wet' pere's the seedlings will get pushed off by the water 'bleeding' out of the pere. When you let them dry out like this the sap holds them just fine, but too wet the slide off dont stick etc.

I dont think you can over water a pere after a graft has started growing, and if it's not planned for grafting you can water it almost everyday in the growing season, everyday in dry/hot areas where the soil dry quickly.

I water my Peres approx. 2 days before grafting. I use small pots and find this leaves a nice moisture content in the soil.

I agree that excessive watering right before grafting can push the scion off, however I prefer to keep the soil moist but not soaking wet, rather than almost dry.

By keeping the soil moist it ensures the grafts stay hydrated while healing, without being disturbed from watering or handling. It also helps maintain high humidity within the humidity chamber, which assists the union.

Over watering a Peres is hard to do, but it can cause scions, especially Lophophora to split open when pumped full of excess water.

#71 Tripp

Tripp

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 890 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:11 AM

Nice work man! They've done really well!

#72 kasimir

kasimir

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for the advices :)
And just an other question, i know that the re is some kind of peres, mine are full of leaves.
On your picture named "trichocereus-bridgesii-pereskiopsis-ready-degrafting-03.jpg", there is not pretty much leaves and i want to know if you cut the leaves for a better grow of the bridgesii or because this is the natural growing of the pereskiopsis ?
Thanks

here is a picture of mine Posted Image

Edited by kasimir, 21 November 2009 - 12:32 PM.
adding picture

#73 |dw|

|dw|

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:43 PM

When you are ready to graft I would leave as much leaves as possible. I had less growth when I de-leaved the pereskiopsis.

#74 Burger

Burger

Old Hand.

• Validating
  • 596 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:29 AM

Agreed |dw|.

I find it best to keep as many leaves on the Peres as possible, and I don't remove them.

More leaves gives a healthier, faster growing plant, which in turn promotes strong, healthy, long term growth of the scion.

The Peres in your pic kasimir looks fine, and will make a good stock when slightly larger.

#75 kasimir

kasimir

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:57 AM

oh Yes !!!
I hope, I have plenty of lopho and tricho seeds :loveeyes:

#76 Burger

Burger

Old Hand.

• Validating
  • 596 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:04 AM

Getting trichocereus degrafts to root is a simple process.

Here are a couple of pics of one of the degrafts from this thread.

It was potted up into straight propagation sand, and watered with full strength cacti ferts each time the sand dried out.

These pics show root development after 3-4 weeks.

The root system is well established and ready to be potted up into a soil mix.

Attached Thumbnails

• 02.jpg
  • 01.jpg

• NRA1420 and DualWieldRake like this

#77 majikmonkey

majikmonkey

Mescophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:49 AM

I stumbled onto this thread a bit late, but I am baffled, I never knew this type of thing was possible. I would love for an update Burger,... those pics are awesome. Do you plan to keep cutting and growing bridgesii pups on those indefinitely?

Do people use this method with peyote and get it to grow significantly faster?

#78 ou3308

ou3308

Beatnik

• Expired Member
  • 341 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:02 PM

Yes, I would like an update too. The propagation sand is cool. Is this a special kind or just sharp sand? Am having trouble with growing roots that fast. Not having much luck yet on my loph-grafting. After reading this again I know now I need more humidity.

#79 majikmonkey

majikmonkey

Mescophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:48 PM

To answer my own question, yes!
:)!
Thx again Burger

#80 LotRev

LotRev

Technopagan

• Expired Member
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:48 PM

Hahaha....I love it! Awesome thread, great pictures, thank you!

But you've been hiding something from us.

I want to see a few pics of the garden in the foreground of the very
first picture in this thread! You know what garden I'm talking about....

Thanks again!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!