• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 repulsive

repulsive

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:13 PM

4 brf jars, broken up and used as spawn 4 days later. Is this cobweb?

Posted Image

up close

Posted Image

#2 sangraal

sangraal

Gnowledge in Gnature

• Expired Member
  • 997 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:19 PM

Looks like it to me. Up that FAE!

#3 repulsive

repulsive

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:21 PM

At this point do you think I should case it and move to fruiting conditions or should I keep it in incubator and spray it down with peroxide solution?

#4 sangraal

sangraal

Gnowledge in Gnature

• Expired Member
  • 997 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:34 PM

Don't case it yet. Give it, minimally, three more days to finish colonization across your spawn. Take care of the cobweb first. I've found a .3 solution of Peroxide to work just fine with cobweb.... and keep a good FAE. From the photos you posted, I cannot see any holes in the side. You might want to consider doing that to help keep up the air exchange. Once the cobweb is gone then, if you want, apply a casing layer. Otherwise, as experience has shown me, the stuff will appear on your casing layer.

#5 repulsive

repulsive

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:37 PM

yeah right now i just have some foil overlaying it. There are no holes in the foil as of now, so perhaps i will do that. and what do you mean by .3 solution? (what parts water to peroxide?)

#6 sangraal

sangraal

Gnowledge in Gnature

• Expired Member
  • 997 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:43 PM

yeah right now i just have some foil overlaying it. There are no holes in the foil as of now, so perhaps i will do that. and what do you mean by .3 solution? (what parts water to peroxide?)

You should really consider making holes in the side. Because CO2 is heavier than oxygen, it's not going to readily escape out the top, but rather stay to the bottom. If you can't/won't make holes in it, fan often. While most recommend three times daily, I recommend more often with larger projects such as that. If you can't make the time to do that, make the holes in the side. Not only does poor FAE cause cobweb, but it can severely stunt the growth of your mushrooms.

.3 solution is 10% of your standard, over-the-counter 3% peroxide, so it would be 1 part H2O2 to 9 parts H2O. You can mix a little stronger if you want, but that's enough to take out cobweb.

#7 repulsive

repulsive

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:45 PM

Thanks for the tips. I was just following the rez effect exactly how I saw it posted on another forum.

#8 sangraal

sangraal

Gnowledge in Gnature

• Expired Member
  • 997 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:49 PM

No problem. Sometimes pictures don't tell the whole story. But, besides the cobweb, I think it's looking pretty good. Take care of it and you'll be happy with your results. First grow or monotub?

And, by the way, welcome aboard.

#9 repulsive

repulsive

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:53 PM

first grow and monotub, yes :)

#10 dfar

dfar

scared shitless

• Free Member
  • 645 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:24 AM

hmm... IMHO this just looks like really healthy myc. In my experience when you crumble cakes then put them in the incubator they net together and form a nice fluffy myc on top.

It just looks ready to case or add your bulk layer (poo/coir etc.)

cob web will grow real high, real fast and you'll see a significant differece between it and the cubie myc it tends to be really long strains... the myc in the picture just seems more like a vegetative cubie myc (which is often fussy) which is proably do to to the incubation (perfectly normal and wanted IMHO)

[FONT=Verdana]I would wait on any intervention untill more people on topia sound off on this one [/FONT

oh and all the info about freash air exchange is totally good and sound advice to increase yeild and reduce contams keep up the good work :;):

#11 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:14 AM

Is this cobweb?

No

#12 sangraal

sangraal

Gnowledge in Gnature

• Expired Member
  • 997 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

No

It really looks like it to me, when it is first starting out. In another day or two, I'd expected it to be another inch or so of nasty fluff. My last experience with it started out the same way and peroxide easily dissolved the mess.

#13 Mermaidia

Mermaidia

Sober Sister

• Expired Member
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:21 PM

It is not coweb! It's just the mycelium recovering. I sure hope you didn't go and spray it.

#14 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:01 PM

i agree with merm.

cobweb has a more wispy appearance, like hairs/strands of gray stuff really protruding off the surface. what you've got there just looks like fluffy myc. IME, myc can appear slightly grey as it colonizes bulk substrates, since the substrate is relatively dark, and the fluffy myc is not thick enough yet to cover it for a completely white appearance.

#15 repulsive

repulsive

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:36 PM

Just a small update: I cased it early this morning and moved to fruiting conditions. Hopefully pins in a few days!

#16 ShroomGuy

ShroomGuy

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:02 PM

I think it is. A friend of mine has the same thing on a few pf cakes he took out of the jars to early before they were 100% colonized.

#17 dfar

dfar

scared shitless

• Free Member
  • 645 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:47 PM

Just a small update: I cased it early this morning and moved to fruiting conditions. Hopefully pins in a few days!

keep us posted on your progress :thumbup:

#18 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

no cobweb in those pics.

#19 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:53 AM

Definitely not cobweb. Thats good mycelium.

no cobweb in those pics.

#20 Phlux-

Phlux-

Psychonaut

• Expired Member
  • 531 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:55 PM

cobweb is usually greyish and grows on top of the casing - not so tightly against it (like a blanket) ime and that looks rather happy - no sign of cobweb.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!