• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#41 EarlyKuyler

EarlyKuyler

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:17 AM

haven't found anything at 2 walmarts 3 times. evening and daytime. nothing. only shotgun shells and magnum shells. hitting a gun show soon. gonna get all i can.

I just went to a gun show in my city. The prices were more expensive than the Calibers downtown. Although the show did have hollow tips, armor piercing, and 50 cal rounds lol.

#42 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:41 AM

Hip and squizz-

I must say I am a bit disappointed. With all that is going on and the obvious consequences of some recent governmental decisions, I'm now supposed to have faith in God that it will all work out.

Well, belief and faith are two different things. But I won't get deep into that.

I believe what I see coming is not going to be the company picnic.

I believe I have to take responsibility for myself and my own, because God does what He sees fit, and our ideas frequently don't match.

And I believe I am my brother's keeper, so I continue to speak up, if for no other reason, so MAYBE someone doesn't get blindsided by the economic disaster (and others) sure to come, if history is any teacher.

Stressed? Yes, a bit. Overanxious? I think not.

Sure, I can shut up and just wait for the storm on the horizon.

Or I can say what I mean and feel, and hope it keeps someone else from waking up hungry one day to find they can no longer afford what they had been able to, and looking at becoming another welfare recipient
or worse.

Yeah, there's a great time of peace coming in my belief system, too.

On the other side of Hell.

I really had hoped there was something you could show me that I had missed- some reason to believe this will all be worked out, that our government knows what they are doing and soon the world would all be wonderful, or at least sane.

But there isn't, is there?

Just faith.

#43 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:34 AM

you say
just faith
as if it were a little thing-
but it's apparently
beyond your ability.

seems to me if you
believe in prophecy
then you would know
that nothing you do
will alter the coming events.
that's all i'm saying.

why poison your life daily
stressing over
what you cannot change ?
there are so many other things-
did you get that goat yet ?

Edited by Hippie3, 02 April 2009 - 07:16 AM.

#44 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:09 AM

Maybe you are right- faith may be beyond my ability.

It wasn't always so.

If I have any faith in God at all it is this-

I'm not suitable material for His Kingdom.

Not His fault, obviously mine.

No goats yet- between the state, the new dogs, and moving my MIL, money is too tight.

But I tell ya what- I realize my doom and gloom posts are not what topia is all about, though they may be timely and accurate.

I'll stick to posting about the good things in life, and yes, they do still exist.

Even for an old goat like me.

Thanks for putting up with me.

#45 stonedcoder

stonedcoder

table for 2 @ RATEOTU

• Expired Member
  • 517 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:44 PM

quick question from someone who knows nothing about guns... how long does stored ammo last ...months / years / decades ?

Cat ...Faith is a funny business ...have you ever had an honest Q&A with yourself on why you believe with certainty what you believe, or rather why you believe anything at all.

#46 wild_shroom_hunter

wild_shroom_hunter

Cascadia Lady

• Expired Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:15 PM

Ammo can last a LONG time, if stored properly. Like in ammo cans, or sealed ammo packs. Had some REAL old ammo for the Mosin, (WWII surplus stuff if I remember correctly) only had a few duds; corrosive primers though.

#47 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:15 PM

walmarts been out for weeks. 5 day delays. they report bc manufacturers are limiting shipments. something like for every 30 they used to ship. they ship 3 now.

so they missed delivery this week 3 times. finally this morning i woke up at 9am. they were sold out already. didn't even wake up. the gun shops are buying them up asap. the guy said at the store. there was a line and everyone bought everything. within 15 minutes after the shipment arrived.

lucky i found a hidden walmart. freaking cleared em out today of their 9mm, .45, .4. the rounds at the ranges are getting up there. for 100 9mm your looking at 40 bucks. for .45 for 50 your looking at 30 bucks. i got .45 for 50 at walmart for 12 bucks. thats 3 times upcharge at the range. and most of the ranges are out of the cheap ammo around here.
the only ammo ive seen within 30 miles recently at walmarts or gun shops is hollow point around 34 bucks for 50. the range rounds are hard to come by right now. too many thugs with gold teeth and 30k dollar grills. guess its relative to location. bigger cities and denser areas re most likely to have less supply and high demand. while rural areas might not have as much demand. but they may have supply due to hunting and such. the further south you go, the more ghetto it gets. so those are usually the walmarts that are sold out first.

figured out the plan. go to a walmart that has a retirement community near by. call that walmart. they might have ammo.

you can't even get .45 around here. and i was speaking to someone earlier who said they had an abundance. but that was small town and big city comparison.

but if the shortages continue. and ammo prices go up more. at least there is some profit to be made if you get some stock. read an article talking about the best job right now is to be an ammo dealer.

they are in high demand lol

probably just a fad till all this obama settling in is over with. all the rednecks at the gunshow were freaking out. it was kinda funny sounded like they thought "they took our jobs(guns)"--taken from south park

i don't think the media is actually dictating this one. i think its all the nra republicans freaking out about gun control. its not that bad. it wasn't that bad when clinton banned the automatic guns before. there are actually ammo shortages all over this area. its quite astonishing. i saw a stack of ammo as tall as i am by about 10x12 area sell out in an hour. wow.

#48 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:10 AM

I went into the gun shop to get my most recent purchase out of layaway yesterday. (Remington model 597 semiauto 22 with scope, 30 round magazine- for plinking).

There was ammo to be had. In fact boxes on the floor yet to be shelved.

They had just gotten a shipment, and I did not get around to asking if they had run out of anything just prior- I bought the last two boxes of Russian 9mm two weeks ago.

It IS better here in the sticks, my friend, and if necessary I'm sure something could be worked out to help our city friends in need.

Just hypothetically, of course.

Oh, and they had 50cal ammo boxes- $5.00 each, no taxes. There were 20+ when I walked in, and 4 when I left. Good deal!

#49 stimpy

stimpy

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

Its really bad for me, because of the caliber choices. .40 s/w, .357 mag, .45 long colt are not cheap. The magnum will shoot 38 specials, but it just isnt the same. The judge, shoots .45 long colt, and .410 shells, but shotshells out of a 4 inch rifled barrel doesnt present much opportunity for target practice. Those are just pistol calibers =/

Trying to get a part tiem job at a skeet range hehehe

#50 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:41 PM

Went through the concealed carry class again last weekend. The instructor verified that ammo shipments ARE being rationed, and production is currently around 100 days behind demand.

Stimpy, when I chose weapons to replace those stolen by my ex, I deliberately chose common, inexpensive calibers. When I reload my 9mm brass, it will be as P+ hollowpoints, for about what the cheap Wolf FMJs cost.

Same with the shotgun shells. I buy target loads, reload 'em HOT and HEAVY.

I have permission to pick up brass at the range. After a CCP class, I usually have about 900 rounds, primarily 9mm, 40S&W, and 38SPL.

My next handgun will be a 38 double barrel derringer, fitted to a wallet holster. Hot loads, of course. Robber only sees you handing him your wallet until you shoot him twice.

#51 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:08 PM

seen that .45/.410 derringer ?

#52 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

ive seen a .45/.410 Judge...
pretty cool combo

#53 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

Sure have- and the Thunder 5 revolver in that caliber, too.

American Derringer makes a 38SPL that's just perfect for a back pocket carry- I like the big 'un, but it;s just a wee bit big...

#54 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:37 AM

Went to buy some 9mm at the gun shop yesterday to replace what I shot at the CC class.

ALL the Wolf-gone, ONLY the expensive hot rounds left, and only a few boxes. SIGNS on the racks- limit ONE BOX per DAY per CUSTOMER.

Empty shelves everywhere. The owner says he ordered a PALLET of 45 ACP and received 5 boxes.

Worse- this is the most hoppin gun store around- ALWAYS crowded-

The store was empty.

OK, fine, I head to Walmart for a couple bricks of .22LR. NONE to be had- warehouse shows TEN boxes- who knows where they will end up! Also, no 9mm. Only 100 count boxes of 20ga left are skeet loads. I bought one box for the hulls. Today, after I mow the grass, I was going to go sight in the scope on my new rifle. I will pay $5.00 to use the range, but will only shoot a few rounds to sight the scope, then go home.

On second thought, maybe I'll just wait until I can go plinking and make it fun. But I will call all the Walmarts within driving distance to see who may have a few bricks.

WHY have the ammo companies not increased production to meet demand? Unless it requires build a new line to do so, you would think they would.

Perhaps I'll make some calls and ask, at Federal, Remington, Winchester, etc, Monday.

#55 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,727 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:15 PM

Bro, they are trying to disarm us the only way they can, and it is typical, just another behind the back sidestep to undermine the 2nd amendment. the reason the ammo is disappearing is because of the new HR # ??? that says all ammo sold after june 30th or something like that has to be coded. Not sure what all that entails, but I think it is some sort of tracking system so they know exactly who buys what ammunition. Sorry for the foggy post it's early in the morning and I am too lazy to go look it up right now to verify my dates. I think I'm pretty close tho. That same resolution also says ALL uncoded ammo must be destroyed by 2011, including handloaded ammunition! Does this also include primitive firearms? BLack Powder? what is next? This is getting all too real. Nancy Pelosi is screaming for gun registration. I think that will be the next step. Our rights are being eroded at a record pace and people are all wrapped up in what Paula abdul is doing on American Idol for gods sake. THis is getting to be a messed up world bro. Keep your head down....

#56 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:06 PM

walmart got a 2am friday night shipment in. they said instead of getting shipments every 3 days like they used to. its taking about a week at a time. they also said prior to them getting the weekly shipments it was every two weeks. now the guy said its been looking better but he said everyone is buying it off the shelves as soon as it gets stocked.

#57 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

I called the Walmart in a neighboring small town today. They got in 10 bricks of .22lr last night- two already gone. I bought 4- all I can afford this week.

One bonus- they have 20ga field loads $1.50 cheaper than here!

No pistol ammo-says they've been out for weeks.

#58 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:38 PM

bite the bullet, make your own....

#59 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:45 PM

the reason the ammo is disappearing is because of the new HR # ??? that says all ammo sold after june 30th or something like that has to be coded. Not sure what all that entails, but I think it is some sort of tracking system so they know exactly who buys what ammunition. ammunition accountability act.

The Ammunition Accountability Act, it didn't pass. But it did give people another reason to hoard ammo...

#60 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:30 PM

bite the bullet, make your own....

I have and do, but gotta have brass to start with- fortunately the range lets me collect brass. Just about ready to do some long reloading sessions.

I can do P+ rounds for the cost of cheap FMJ if I do my own. (9mm) Unfortunately, 22 is a one-shot round.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!