Paradox
©
Fisana

Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Do you use tap water????


  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 joey_megabucks

joey_megabucks

    Mycotopiate

  • Expired Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 11:29 AM

:confused:

there may be chlorine in my tap water. my plants have not shown any adverse side effects after three consecutive waters. If chlorine was present, would I notice something immediately? Or would it take time to build up?

It seems that chlorine evaporates, thus buildup would be difficult.


Does H2O2 (peroxide) neutralize the chlorine?

thanks!

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

    DUNG DEALER

  • Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 02:05 PM

just let tapwater set in the open for 24 hours
and the chlorine will dissapate.
i found chlorinated water to have little impact
on large healthy plants
but weak clones/seedlings are affected more seriously.
chlorine does not build up in the soil.

#3 reefer

reefer

    Mod of the Ocean

  • Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:20 PM

"there may be chlorine in my tap water"

I thought all tap water had chlorine in it.

If you stop by a pet store you can get a plant-safe declorinator made by Tetra called AquaSafe. It takes 2 minutes for it to work and one 17oz bottle treats about a thousand gallons.

Better yet there's this one, one 2oz bottle treats 1,200 gallons
http://www.amazon.co...6735351-2339903

#4 dukex

dukex

    Mycotopiate

  • Expired Member
  • 583 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:26 PM

When back in the day I used city water for my hydro setup I just let the reservoir tank sit for 24 hours before opening the valve to the farm. My problem was the TDS even after filtering was rather high used to eat up filters trying to keep it down.

Peace...

#5 joey_megabucks

joey_megabucks

    Mycotopiate

  • Expired Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:55 AM

thanks for the info. my big plants don't seem to mind. hopefully its not killing off the healthy bacteria in my soil...

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

    DUNG DEALER

  • Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:11 AM

i would not use that fish stuff for your plant water

#7 toasty

toasty

    Mycotopiate

  • Expired Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:15 PM

I some times use fish tank water to water my plants though.

#8 reefer

reefer

    Mod of the Ocean

  • Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:31 PM

Lots of people do.

http://www.overgrow....ad.php?t=534627

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

    DUNG DEALER

  • Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 06:06 AM

i would not use fish tank water on my plants,
esp. not a tank that has had chemicals added to it.
or diseases in it, etc.
the fish waste is good fert,
be sure it's a healthy fresh water tank
free of doubtful chemicals.

#10 joey_megabucks

joey_megabucks

    Mycotopiate

  • Expired Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 06:36 AM

well, two weeks later and there has been no adverse reaction to the plants. i didn't even bother to measure the ph. they are doing fine...

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

    DUNG DEALER

  • Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 06:42 AM

i would still chk the ph,
tapwater is often alkaline
and will cause salt buildup in the soil mix over time

#12 joey_megabucks

joey_megabucks

    Mycotopiate

  • Expired Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 07:11 AM

thnx

#13 the cat in the hat

the cat in the hat

    Mycophiliac

  • Expired Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 05:58 PM

What's up Mycotopia??? Was just wondering if using tap water vs. spring water would have any effect on the mushrooms? I know that when being grown in the jar stage it may not make too much of a difference? But what about when growing the mushrooms in say the terranium? Is there any advantages to using spring water instead of tap water? Thanks!!!

#14 Dank Side Of The Shroom

Dank Side Of The Shroom

    VIP Member

  • Expired Member
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 06:29 PM

i always use tap water with great results. if its safe for you to drink its safe for shrooms.

#15 golly

golly

    modapotato

  • Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 07:47 PM

I like to use pond or rain water for hydrating grains and substrate but prefer distilled water for syringe making and spraying in the fruiting chamber...My city water is high in minerals and chlorine, although it seems to work ok if i filter it first....

#16 JI_

JI_

    Mycophiliac

  • Expired Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:03 PM

I think that spring water work better than tap water.Tap water can cause mutation sometime.When I use tap water I boil it.

#17 python

python

    Former Member

  • Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:25 AM

distilled

#18 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*
  • Guest

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:16 AM

I use tap.

#19 spacecowboy

spacecowboy

    in a major life change-jj

  • Expired Member
  • 910 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:57 PM

Tap water here to, if I had the funds to afford bottled spring water I would drink it myself rather than waste it on the mushrooms.

#20 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*
  • Guest

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:13 PM

it's only a dollar a gallon at the grocery store space :)
i've been using distilled water for my projects as it's been shown that the tap water around here causes cancer
a few years ago alot of people around here were getting sick and they couldn't figure out why
untill they found a dead bloated cow blocking one of the intakes for the water filtering plant...
that also seems to say alot about how well they filter the water
lost




Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!