Photo
- - - - -

Do you use tap water????

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:57 PM

I use tap water, though I have well water.

I use distilled water for my syringes and liquid cultures because my tap tends to germinate the spores and carmelize karo.

#22 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:27 PM

I started with three gallons of distilled water. I had INTENDED to ever only use distilled water. Then I made a small batch of jars whilest listening to Bob Marley. Said jars had been in the PC for about twenty minues when I remembered that I had made them with tap water. Being the incredibly lazy, er, experimental person that I am, I used them anyway.

They worked just fine...

The two gallons of distilled water are sitting on my "mushroom crap I could have spent more wisely on" shelf.

#23 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:42 PM

I use pre-packaged sterile water for my syringes when I can come across it. For cakes though I just use straight tap water with some fish water mixed in.

#24 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:09 PM

I've noticed there seems to be a lot of chlorine in my tap water lately and that is causing some issues with rooting plants...

The solution: I've been filling up empty gallon jugs with the tap water, and leaving a little air space on top. Once, twice, or three times during the day I'll open it, and blow in it, and vent out the excess chlorine gas which has evaporated. After a day or two, no more chlorine. Nice water for rooting or whatever actually. I've been seeing better results already. ;)

#25 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:15 PM

i too have noticed alot of chlorine in my water. I do a 5 gallon water cooler container full and put a fishtank airstone in the bottom. a day or 2 later...all is good.

#26 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:39 PM

More and more cities these days are treating their water with chloramines, which is chlorine combined with ammonia. It doesn't dissipate out of water like chlorine does. I know for aquariums, it produces huge problems because even after carbon filtering out the chlorine, it leaves behind ammonia in the water.

http://www.aquamd.co...r_Tap_Water.htm

"In addition, scientists have discovered chloramines can create their own disinfection byproducts, such as N-nitrosodimethylamine. And this specific disinfection byproduct is a human carcinogen.

Some research links chloramines to bladder cancer. It's also believed the ammonia used to create chloramines in water can cause nitrate levels to rise and hurt young children."

"Chloramines are very difficult to remove from water by using reverse-osmosis systems or water softeners. Distilling water also won't remove them. But they can typically be removed with the right granular-activated carbon filter.

The problem: Public water supplies typically also contain other toxic substances that may not be removed by granular-activated carbon. No water filter exists that treats all problems."

#27 Chaos

Chaos

Mocksvillian

• Expired Member
  • 426 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:45 PM

Yea for me that is the norm. When I used to keep fish a 24 hour aeration with a pump and air stone would take care of the chlorine & chloromean.(SP) Then adjuncts can be added.

#28 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:37 PM

I fill up a couple 4 gallon buckets also, and let them set 3 or 4 days, and use that water for watering the plants.

Sometimes i'll drop an airstone in one if i'm bubbling guano tea.

No need to cover it up with a lid, open air is great.

I don't know if the ammonia is a bad thing, ammonium nitrate is commonly used in chem fertilizers.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!