• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 neo Figment

neo Figment

(evo)figment **OG**

• Expired Member
  • 436 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

I guess this is German sounds like it to me.
Scrfvy3SYTs
  • Om shanti likes this

#2 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

German it is, mostly. Interesting method, thanks for posting! That's a really nice Pan cake.

For those who don't recognise what he's using, it's blumenerde (=flower soil) on the outside, wbs on the inside. I think it's an interesting method of layering the cake.

Here's another version of the Tropicalis cake, with some English text and also a very nice timelapse shot. Zz13uiDOnuc
  • neo Figment likes this

#3 Yetti

Yetti

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:50 AM

i like the way he just slaps things in there like someone that has been doing this for years, when you are a noob every little thing gets measured out,

#4 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:00 AM

Since I plan on trying this method over the next month or so, I asked and received this info from ShroomCity:

Roomplantsoil is a loose and airy soil for green or flowering plants for inside the house application.

• Holds water very well
• pH ca. 6.5
• With Hypoaspis to keep away the mourning mosquitoes

Mixture:
20 % Vol. Bark compost
20 % Vol. Wood fibers from toresa®
60 % Vol. White peat, lime, and mineral base fertilization

Sittich Futter = Budgie food

So a correction to what I wrote before- it's not wild bird seed, but budgie seeds on the inside! I don't know know whether it has been tried with WBS though.

I also asked if the budgie seeds could be replaced by PF tek, but it can't according to Shroomcity.

#5 weeeeeee

weeeeeee

humanoid

• Expired Member
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:53 AM

the budgie seed should do you well probably better i nevr thought of using it before im pretty sure its all just white and red millet IMEs with it

#6 wendal

wendal

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:36 PM

Yea budgie seed and WBS is pretty well the same thing.

#7 ShinobiFeather

ShinobiFeather

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 334 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:47 AM

Not sure how dumb this question is..
which only makes me dumber :rasta:

but do you's reckon this will work as well with other pans?
Australian, for instance?

#8 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:01 AM

Hey ShinobiFeather, well it's not more dumb than I also asked Rad El Baluvar about this a while back. :-) So at least we're two dumb fools, if that can comfort you. He said it works for all pans.

And the pans he are growing are probably not Tropicalis, it's most likely the Sandoze strain which I believe was first thought to be tropicalis, then was for a long time thought to be cyanescens, then Workman found out its a strain of cambodginiensis. (Meaning: they are so similar you need expert microscopy to see the difference). So any pan should be good. (P.S. I'm not 100% sure about the id details for Sandoze but almost.:-))

I would still regard the method as xperimental, given that I havent seen any other successfull grow except for Radels and Gollys. Some make variations but often mixed in a bit of poo or worm compost thus "cheating" a bit. Of course "cheating" is allowed. Anything goes. :teeth:

But if you make some cakes, you can always use a few of them for spawn to the tried and tested straw or poo, so you'll be sure to get at least a few pans.

Please do post an update if you go ahead with it. And good luck!

#9 OoBYCoO

OoBYCoO

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:59 PM

I will be doing this TEK on Tues. (b/c tomorrow is the holiday), I'll report back. I've been trying to get a hold of him w/ no luck. When I subscribed to his channel a year ago, he friended me on YouTube. I wrote him some private messages and no reply (not surprised, who checks their YouTube mail). I looked for him on Shroomery, I was a couple years to late b/c he's perma bannerz... I was hoping he was on here but a search of his handle on shroomery and youtube came back negative. :(

Has anyone here tried it?

#10 OoBYCoO

OoBYCoO

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

These guys are cooling from their PC run!!!!

DSC00016.JPG

DSC00017.JPG

DSC00018.JPG

#11 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• Validating
  • 8,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:23 PM

Okay, the computer voice saying, "Ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more" is just deeply freakin' creepy.

#12 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

I never got around to try it. I actually wanted to try a few weeks back when I made my first pancakes for a looong time but absentmindedly mixed poo into the mix. Hmm.. (yes and today I was also sort of distracted when I was misting a casing, and accidentally grabbed the lysol bottle instead of the water mister... and lost half of a tray... the power of single minded concentration, they say.. :horse:;)

But as for the cakes, I did make the outer potting soil casing layer in Cyano/Radel style and really like this way of preparing cakes.

I will probably follow in your footsteps with a proper, poo-less try after the batch of poo cakes is done.

I wish you good luck and look forward to your updates. :)
Did you follow the recipe to the letter or with some improvisation?

BTW I checked on youtube and Rad El is alive and well as far as I can see. I don't know him personally either so I can't say what's going on about not replying, but there's activity on his profile. I believe he is into video production and has several other youtube profiles too, including ShroomAirlines I think it is. Maybe he just got tired of answering queries about mushroom growing from people (like me) who mostly only ask but end up not trying the tek anyway... :( Show him your cakes or post a video growlog in youtube in response to his grows and maybe you will catch his attention.
  • OoBYCoO likes this

#13 OoBYCoO

OoBYCoO

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:21 PM

@Om shanti I followed it to the T, a friend emailed me this...

Hey ooby tried the pan tech. used soil and bird seed like the guy showed. the H2O ws alittle off. mine were dry. didnt want mud lol. shit worked great. composted manure sucked reallly baaad. no go on the boomers just a piss smell. 3 different pans did great with just soil.

NOT A PM!

BTW, thanks for the advice, I never thought of trying that approach. I'll send him the pics I have so far!

Edited by OoBYCoO, 06 July 2011 - 06:54 PM.

#14 OoBYCoO

OoBYCoO

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:56 PM

Damn, you're right.... that guy has a lot of channels!

#15 Xochipilli

Xochipilli

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:58 AM

I also asked if the budgie seeds could be replaced by PF tek, but it can't according to Shroomcity.

In the mid-90s before I knew any better, I tried using PF tek BRF cakes to grow pan. cyans. I read that unlike cubes, they would need a casing layer--so I mixed up some peat moss mixed with calcium carbonate, and lined my jars with it before scooping the BRF/Verm/Water mix in. I believe I used mycelium on agar mixed with water for the syringe inoculation. Once colonized, I placed them in the same fruiting chamber I used for the PF p. cubensis cakes. I believe I was using an ultra-sonic humidifier at that time (I went over to using perlite and evaporation later--less maintenance). And they fruited--pretty similar to what you see in the video too, although those cakes look a bit more "bountiful" than mine did.

I'm doing a similar "experiment" now - but this time I'm using coir/verm as a casing layer, and again, BRF/Verm as the core substrate. I might make a fruiting chamber better suited for pans this time around--depends on how lazy or busy I get.

Fun video (male voice is German, female voice is French).

Peace!

Xochi

#16 OoBYCoO

OoBYCoO

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:21 PM

I took this a few days ago, they're coming along nicely but I think I might have some trich in some of them on the WBS but it's hard to tell b/c of the dirt. I separated those from the group just in case but I'm gonna let them go b/c if what I think I see as trich, it's very small and the myc seems to be overtaking it. :borat: The 3 on the left are cambo Sandose and the 3 on the right are cyan Jamaica...

DSC00060.JPG

#17 OoBYCoO

OoBYCoO

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:39 AM

3 left- cyan Jamacain, 3 righ- cambo Sandose

DSC00073.JPG

Jamacain
DSC00074.JPG

Sandose
DSC00075.JPG

Contam'ed
DSC00076.JPG

#18 white threads

white threads

i am no thing

• OG VIP
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:28 AM

OoBYCoO,

I ran across your thread yesterday and realized you were trying the same tek as a FOAF. FOAF also tried several different casings (dirt and manure/compost) and so far, everything looks good (photos under Pan Cyan C-Tek thread). I will be tacking your progress closely since you and the FOFA are on almost the same timeline.

Good luck with your grow!!!!!

WT

#19 OoBYCoO

OoBYCoO

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:07 AM

Thank you! What friend, in what thread, on what forum? :D

#20 white threads

white threads

i am no thing