33 replies to this topic

#21 white threads

white threads

i am no thing

• OG VIP
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:36 AM

OoBYCoO,

Did you use a layer of dry verm over the top of the casing in your jars or is there dirt all the way to the top? Tks

WT

#22 OoBYCoO

OoBYCoO

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:14 PM

Yup, I used a verm layer....

Posted Image

#23 white threads

white threads

i am no thing

• OG VIP
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:38 PM

The only difference is that SWIM filled the center hole with WBF and then sealed it with dirt so that the WBF was fully enclosed by dirt (I know, ANAL!). The verm layer was then added.

I look forward to your fruiting:dance:.

WT

#24 OoBYCoO

OoBYCoO

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:27 PM

What was your logic for using WBF and the dirt layer? I figured that I'm doing his tek, which is pretty odd enough for me to start making changes.

Looking forward to yours too! :teeth:

#25 white threads

white threads

i am no thing

• OG VIP
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:36 PM

Spoke with SWIM...Actually, the seed used was not WBF but Parakeet food. The reason for the dirt was paranoia of contams and the hopes of keeping the birdseed less susceptible by literally ‘encasing’ it with the casing. From his video, I am not certain, but he might be doing the same thing. In one shot, he show the ‘loaded’ jar with dirt on top, but when he dumps the jar out, I am pretty sure the verm is clearly visible pouring out. Who knows, but I figured, WTF, can’t hurt!

Fingers, eyes, and toes crossed!

WT

#26 OoBYCoO

OoBYCoO

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:51 PM

Nope, he clearly shows that he doesn't encase it in dirt...

Capture1.JPG

....I'm sure it'll be fine though.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

#27 white threads

white threads

i am no thing

• OG VIP
  • 432 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:22 AM

OoBYCoO,

I am conflicted:confused:!! In the video, he tosses the seed ad hoc into the hole in the middle of the dirt casing with little concern about where it ended up. He appears to be haphazard in his videos, but his results don’t seem to follow that sort of carefree preparation. Also, of the two photos you posted, the one on the right does not show dirt on top....BUT the photo the right does not show the verm either, so I am leaning towards this photo being just a pictorial diagram of how the seed is loaded into the jar.

The other photo in your post on the left, IMHO, is a sequence photo showing the different stages of the jar preparation from left to right, i.e. the seed in the hole (with no seed exposed to the glass), dirt covering the seed, and verm over everything. This photo represents a much more exacting to approach to me. Truly not trying to be argumentative:bow:, just trying to figure out this tek.

One other question I have is in regards to how the cakes look when they are placed in the FC. From the time lapse photography, it looks as if the mycelium is just starting to colonize the cake on the outside (i.e. the cakes look rather dark compared to SWIM’s cakes and to your cakes in vetro), and after being placed in the FC, they get white threads:love: quickly. This is confusing since the cakes in the video were incubated for approx a month but do not appear to have the heavy mycelium growth on the outside. Once SWIM gets their cakes in the chamber, this may become much clearer. How far are you from your birthday party??

ILAL

WT

#28 OoBYCoO

OoBYCoO

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:30 PM

About a week away!

#29 white threads

white threads

i am no thing

• OG VIP
  • 432 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:53 PM

OoBYCoO,

Any update? I hope you had a wonderful birthday party! What was your total wait time before birthing?

SWIM did answer my question regarding the intensity (i.e. white-ness) of the mycelium in the video. SWIM said that when he birthed his cakes, the mycelium was quite white in the jar, but after birthing, he noticed they lost some of their intensity but quickly regained it after a couple of days.

SWIM said that unlike cubies he has grown (all using PF Tek BRF cakes), the pan cyans are indeed much ‘whispy-er’J. The cubies tend to remain quite hardy after their birthday party and get even stronger from there. The pan cyans appear more delicate.

I look forward to your update!! Sending ‘great grow’ vibes to you my friend!!

WT

#30 OoBYCoO

OoBYCoO

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

Sorry about the lapse on updates, I had to go out of town unexpectedly so they weren't birthed yet. I'll do the update tomorrow, and get back to you WT... I'll be honest I'm so burnt out right now I didn't read your entire post.

#31 white threads

white threads

i am no thing

• OG VIP
  • 432 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:02 PM

Crash and get some rest. Your babies will be fine. Later:rasta:

WT

#32 OoBYCoO

OoBYCoO

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:46 PM

Well out of these...

DSC00015.JPG

Only this one made it, the rest were contam'ed beyond saving...

DSC00016 (2).JPG

I will attempt this again once I get the replacement overpressure plug for my PC.

I'll continue to update the progress of that one cake, which is the cambo Sandose.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00013.JPG
  • DSC00014.JPG

#33 white threads

white threads

i am no thing

• OG VIP
  • 432 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:14 PM

That sucks:puke: but I know you won't give up. I still think it looks like a valid tek, but after getting this far, I know that SWIM wishes he had some more experience under his belt.

All 6 c-tek cakes are still going. The 4 cakes birthed last are whitening up and the first two cakes look good. No pins yet, but I see the clumps forming and feel they are close.

Hopefully, the c-tek will provide something for SWIM, because the bulk trays are stalled and currently not colonizing the casing layer. No contams yet though, so he is hopefully they will get going.

Good luck with your remaining bottle:heart:. At least you can create some more spawn from it. Woohoo! :headbang:

WT

#34 OoBYCoO

OoBYCoO

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:42 AM

Giving up isn't in my lexicon! :teeth:

Your's look good to go bro. I think you'll do fine. My PC is missing the overpressure plug and I'm waiting on the damn co. to send me a new one so I had to steam sterilize those jars... that's the only thing that I think did me in. Oh well, next time! and like you said, I still have one!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!