grab 'em while you can.
  • Oblivion likes this

#2 M&M420

M&M420

Eternity Intern

• Validating
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:36 PM

An amazing coincidence I was just about to go pick some up along with some wbs.Thanks for the heads up

#3 marmy

marmy

riding the roller coaster

• Expired Member
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:41 PM

Was at my local Farm and fleet today... While canning jars "Not" in season can be hard to come by.... THis store had a a whole pallet of them in various sizes and flavors... at reasonable prices too...

Picked up the missus' a 12 pack of quart jars regular mouth for about 8 bucks. She does a lot of canning you know. :rasta:

#4 Tango0202

Tango0202

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 323 posts

Donator

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:52 PM

I recently went to walmart to get some half pint jars and they told me they couldn't put them out because there was a certain date they couldn't go out before??

Seriously?? you cant sit an empty jar out on the shelf whenever the fuck you want?? I called BS and left. lol

#5 seedlessstinky1

seedlessstinky1

Stinks

• Expired Member
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:01 PM

I recently went to walmart to get some half pint jars and they told me they couldn't put them out because there was a certain date they couldn't go out before??

Seriously?? you cant sit an empty jar out on the shelf whenever the fuck you want?? I called BS and left. lol

What a lazy asshole. :mistrust: prolly jsut didnt wanna walk in the back and find em. Walmart aint that hard of a job.

That totally sucks, bet prices go up by 10%.

#6 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

im well stocked in that area! looks like home gardening, home cultivation, and food growing is where the markets gonna shift. good idea if you have a gardening supply store. or online gardening or seed site.

#7 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,036 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:02 PM

Hell yeah. The NY Times ran an article about a month ago about how people turned to self-sufficiency in the 30's. I think it's great, especially at a time when the average commercial food item travels over 1000 miles brimming with preservative, HF corn syrup, and MSG to get to your plate.

#8 marmy

marmy

riding the roller coaster

• Expired Member
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

My Walmart last year told me they were no longer carrying canning jars... Looked all over the store too.. no dice

#9 Dank Side Of The Shroom

Dank Side Of The Shroom

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:06 PM

luckily i still have about 200 of them from previous years, got like 40 quart jars as well.

#10 bmad

bmad

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 351 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:37 PM

What a lazy asshole. :mistrust: prolly jsut didnt wanna walk in the back and find em. Walmart aint that hard of a job.

That totally sucks, bet prices go up by 10%.

actually if they arent in the computer to be sold by a certain date they cant be sold.. come on.. the person was just doin what the boss told him to do.. lets not bash them for it geesh. and until you have worked there and been treated the way they are treated by rude assbag customers, I would suggest thinkin about walkin a mile in someone elses shoes.

but on to the topic. around here . there are jars o plenty.. but I will be on the hunt at the local rummage sales and farm and fleets
  • Doctor D likes this

#11 ShroomGuerilla

ShroomGuerilla

Myco-Monkey

• Expired Member
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:52 PM

good thing i have too many
for my own damn good... hundreds...

#12 The Truth.

The Truth.

is stranger than fiction.

• Expired Member
  • 504 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:22 PM

Yep, only one store in my whole shit town (i love it here) had them...F+Fleet.

#13 mycabis

mycabis

Poop Handler

• Expired Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:29 PM

i get jars all year round at the mom and pop store up town I love small citys :D

#14 tenjin

tenjin

dizzy with possibilities

• Expired Member
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:40 PM

I think it's great, especially at a time when the average commercial food item travels over 1000 miles brimming with preservative, HF corn syrup, and MSG to get to your plate.

So true dude. :bow:
I was actually eating some ranch dressing tonight with some chicken and saw Monosodium Glutamate in the ingredients. :puke:
I'll take some fresh out-of-the-garden veggies/herbs any day then the commercial manufactured preservative laced crap.
As for cans, I get mine at my favorite local grocery store, always in stock when I go there. There's a rack there with packs of all different size jars, boxes of lids with rings, and pickling lime all in one section. But I've been stocked for a while now so haven't been lately to see if shortages have begun.:ballbat:

#15 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,032 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:25 PM

me too! ;)

#16 whatisntseen

whatisntseen

Behind the Door

• Expired Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:52 PM

You should send a dozen qt jars my way ;)

But seriously... I can only find jars at my local grocery store.. the 1/2 pts are $8/dz, but I needed a few, so I grabbed em.. only two packs were even there!
Walmart has proven to be incredibly useless near me... they dont seem to sell canning jars and the garden center has been closed for that pasttwo weeks or something with no signs of it being opened in the near future. Worse things in life, though!

#17 PsychoDrogue

PsychoDrogue

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:37 AM

lol. once again growing mushrooms pays off. got at least 80 quarts and 100 smaller jars. dont think i have much to worry about. Especially since i use mycobags most the time now.

#18 Golden Teacher

Golden Teacher

Forever Grateful

• Expired Member
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:57 AM

lol. once again growing mushrooms pays off. got at least 80 quarts and 100 smaller jars. dont think i have much to worry about. Especially since i use mycobags most the time now.

Hell yes....I'm in the same boat.
I got at least 75+ wide mouth quart jars....:headbang:

Sometimes I get lazy and don't want to clean out old jars so I just spend $10 dollars on another dozen.

Thanks for posting Hip.... Probably grab a couple more dozen just in case....:bow:

If I ever decide to can fruit I'm set for LIFE... :amazed:

:rasta:

GT

#19 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:37 AM

i would guess 1/2 pints will be ok,
most can in quarts, some in pints.

#20 seedlessstinky1

seedlessstinky1

Stinks

• Expired Member
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:46 AM

actually if they arent in the computer to be sold by a certain date they cant be sold.. come on.. the person was just doin what the boss told him to do.. lets not bash them for it geesh. and until you have worked there and been treated the way they are treated by rude assbag customers, I would suggest thinkin about walkin a mile in someone elses shoes.

but on to the topic. around here . there are jars o plenty.. but I will be on the hunt at the local rummage sales and farm and fleets

Good point. Walmart 'sucks Ray'. ---from the movie 'rainman' (xcept its kmart.)
(no offense bmad)

Figured 'he' wasnt an asshole after i thought about it. Blood sucking coorporate companies like Walmart sure are though. They run the other stores outta my town and then refuse to sell me jars. Because their computer says so, meanwhile they got four pallets sittin in back full of em. Excuse the fuck outta me! Thats monopoly at its best.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!