• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:13 AM

The shortage is really going to kick in as veggie harvesting starts, so be ready to jump on 'em as soon as they're put out on the shelves when "canning season" begins (should be soon). I've noticed these shortages being more common in rural areas where people are already more in tune with self-sufficiency, so I'd suggest a trip to the nearest big city if wherever you live doesn't have any.

Our pressure cookers allow us to can meats and stews and other stuff that most people don't preserve, but then that takes away from our mycology equipment... The only solution is to buy more jars, and more, and more.

Not that anyone cares, but when I moved into my current house one closet had a strange shelving arrangement that I eventually figured out was designed to perfectly fit tons of quart jars (my house was owned by the same couple since 1968 and they did lots of canning). I thought it must've been a Sign that this house was the right one for me. Then I found the 350+ quart jars (some were cracked, all were filthy) in an old falling-down shed in the yard that I thought was only a junkpile to be thrown away and I was like a kid on Christmas morning. :headbang:

#22 Oblivion

Oblivion

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:24 AM

The shortage is really going to kick in as veggie harvesting starts, so be ready to jump on 'em as soon as they're put out on the shelves when "canning season" begins (should be soon). I've noticed these shortages being more common in rural areas where people are already more in tune with self-sufficiency, so I'd suggest a trip to the nearest big city if wherever you live doesn't have any.

Excellent observation. The trip to "the city" is one I must make to get any decent selection of canning jars. I can only see my selection diminishing as fall approaches.

#23 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:33 AM

same here. already hard to find.

#24 Toadstool

Toadstool

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 279 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:47 AM

I am also well stocked up. May grab another 12 Qt.'s though. I would like to get ahold of a few 1/2 Gallon and Gallon locally. Any1 have any idea where to pick some up at?

#25 C12

C12

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:04 PM

yeah man, it seems stores around here are stocking up on canning jars.

#26 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:39 PM

I picked up 3 dozen qt jars today at Walmart.

They seemed to have plenty..and I have plenty as well but it can't hurt to have extras..especially since I have been canning more food this year.

#27 bmad

bmad

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:46 PM

menards also has quite a few jars.. ok more than a few.. all still good around here.

but I lucked out.. my second cousin hooked me up with a couple dozen.. :D

#28 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

I have PLENTY, of course, but the store the kitten manages has LOTS of cases of quarts- NOW- can't say for how long.

Anybody need any size, I can get em locally still. 1/2 pints on up.

#29 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,103 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:11 PM

I am also well stocked up. May grab another 12 Qt.'s though. I would like to get ahold of a few 1/2 Gallon and Gallon locally. Any1 have any idea where to pick some up at?

Michael's arts & crafts store has the 1/2 gal and 1 gal sizes in small qty's in my area.

#30 whatisntseen

whatisntseen

Behind the Door

• Expired Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:42 PM

I stopped off at a different walmart today, one slightly further than my normal one to see if I could pick up some verm, but alas, walmart probably has the shittiest garden section ever (even kmart has a decent section).. anyways, after finding nothing in that rea, i browsed around and found jars on special placed neatly next to PCs on special.. If I had the cash right now, I woulda been all over that!

#31 Toadstool

Toadstool

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 279 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:48 PM

Michael's arts & crafts store has the 1/2 gal and 1 gal sizes in small qty's in my area.

AAWWW did not think of places like that. Thanks

#32 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:18 AM

Michael's is a very expensive place to buy jars, at least where I am, so they'd be my last resort. I've mostly seen them selling jars individually, even half pints.

I often saved jars I got pasta sauce and other food in, and they work great but can turn into an odd assortment of shapes and sizes (but so what?).

There probably won't be a shortage of spawn bags this year, so it could be time for some of y'all to explore those.

I've had good luck at small mom & pop hardware stores, and one by me even stocks boxes of 1/2 gallon jars (I think they came in boxes of four but can't remember exactly).

#33 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,088 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:29 AM

Restaurants often get some of their stock in glass jars. I got a couple of nice gallon olive jars from work recently. I'm sure if you were friendly enough or knew someone on the inside you could keep them from going into the dumpster... :thumbup:

If you could get them to save just one a week, you could have a fine new collection in a few months.

I wonder, would you have to make a new seal for something like that?

#34 neo Figment

neo Figment

(evo)figment **OG**

• Expired Member
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:31 PM

I save all my pasta sauce, pickles, and salsa jars. Most pasta jars are only 4/5 of a quart but they work. I have started up with them before when i had no money to get going. also check your peanut butter jars and such.

All those are if i can't find glass canning jars tho. Thrift stores(usually about 25 cents a peice around here). Check your local papers that have classifieds. I hardly never ever buy jars new. I recently got this stash of jars for 50$ just had to drive about 20 min. There is always canning jars in my paper 3-4 dollars a dozen.
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1241026019

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_7383.JPG

#35 whatisntseen

whatisntseen

Behind the Door

• Expired Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:34 PM

Neo, I didn't even think about the possibility of buying the jars used! Thanks for the tip. I've already started saving pasta jars and whatnot, though they seem to be going to other uses for now...

#36 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:42 PM

plastic jars are another, albeit expensive, option.

#37 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,032 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:11 PM

was at walmart today, took a look at the canning section, they were fully stocked on jars...

#38 mycabis

mycabis

Poop Handler

• Expired Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:36 PM

Dollar General also fully stocked at 7$ for 12 half pints jars :D

#39 johnnydigital

johnnydigital

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:45 PM

I've found used jars are a great buy. I bought an old working National #7 PC (which has been my fav PC for years) and around 500 various jars from an old lady on craigslist for $35.

#40 turboinferno

turboinferno

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:05 PM

glad I saw this , It reminds me.Get off my ass and go by more jars today .

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!