Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Oven sterilization of whole grains log....

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#21 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 21 December 2005 - 02:36 PM

Don't worry about the length of time Laz. It's more like the timing. The trick is to pull them from the oven just as all the water boils out of it. That way things stay moist. I'd put a baking pan under them too in case one breaks (and they will). That way you don't mess up your oven. I've been doing this for years and only seen a few contams. Your biggest problem will be drying of the grain. Keeping the jars shaken while cooking helps too, just be very careful. Good luck!

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I use this with your vanilla lc method to innoc. That's one of the main reasons I raved about it so much. I went from a rough 80% success rate to a great 95%+ s.r. so once again I have to say thanks!

#22 Elf Salvation

Elf Salvation

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:56 PM

I would like to sugest using whole canning lids with no holes with gasket down to prevent moisture loss. If screwed tight enough the pressure holds.

#23 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:09 PM

I would like to sugest using whole canning lids with no holes with gasket down to prevent moisture loss. If screwed tight enough the pressure holds.

Then how are you going to inoculate or provide gas exchange? Sterilize some filtered lids, remove the lids of the seed jars in a sterile enviroment, inoculate, then unwrap the filtered lids and apply them? Nope! To many steps for it to be worth while. Besides, if you tried to can the seed, you run a risk of the jars sucking in contaminates when you remove the lids. No matter how clean you are. Thanks for the suggestion though...

#24 Elf Salvation

Elf Salvation

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:27 PM

A verm Barrier in elf's case

#25 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:30 PM

Then how are you going to inoculate or provide gas exchange? Sterilize some filtered lids, remove the lids of the seed jars in a sterile enviroment, inoculate, then unwrap the filtered lids and apply them? Nope! To many steps for it to be worth while. Besides, if you tried to can the seed, you run a risk of the jars sucking in contaminates when you remove the lids. No matter how clean you are. Thanks for the suggestion though...

Plus the rubber gasket will melt. At least at 350 deg f. it will. Not sure at 250.

#26 OZ

OZ

Mycotopiate

• Validating
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:59 PM

wouldnt seal down be airtight, and break the jar?

#27 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:05 PM

It can. But if the seal melts first the pressure is lost.

#28 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:05 PM

Not if the ring was only finger tip tight. This allows some pressure release during the sterilization process and then when the jar begins to cool the ring can be tightened for canning. That's only for pressure canning in a pc...

#29 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:39 AM

weigh the jars with the correct moisture content, then add it back as LC, I do this all the time in the microwave

#30 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:49 AM

Update. In a couple of days i'll shake the jars...

Attached Thumbnails

• ovensterilize8.jpg
  • ovensterilize7.jpg

#31 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:53 PM

Hmmm. The more I look at the jars, the more I think they look a bit odd. There's nice rhizos comming from the squares, yet the mycelium still looks funny. Almost cobweb mold like, but it's not spreading fast, nor is it off colored. Any Oyster growers out there? Do they look like this on whole grains? I see Murcury's jars look more agressive and thick in mycelium with the bran, yet he's using Blues...

#32 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:26 PM

Ahhh! I'm just being paranoid. They're good...

#33 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:59 PM

they sound fine so far lazlo...
the wild oysters i got going right now reminded me of cobweb too
not quite as fast... but a little more grey and less dense then cubie myc
LOST

#34 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:08 PM

Cool! Thanks. I looked at them under flourescents and they looked much healthier than with just regular light. The grain colors played a part as well. I was like:eusa_doh: there for a second...lol

#35 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:40 PM

i'm glad how good things are going so far for
you lazlo...;)

#36 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:21 PM

not true actually
they are designed to hold a vaccuum not pressure, as the rubber gasket gets soft at temp and will bleed off any pressure build up

how do know?

made beer and tried to bottle it in mason jars.....

didnt hold one ounce of pressure no matter how tight I screwed down the lids

that and they have a very specific duty in their design, and that is to vac pac food

:eusa_wall

#37 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 12:23 AM

Well, I shook the jars Christmas eve right before I left town and they look very good at the moment. No contaminates yet and i'd say the colonization is about complete. 95% or so. I'll post pics in the morning and then will start a new batch with the multispore knock ups...

#38 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 12:32 PM

Here's some updated pictures. 2 of the seed jars are about done while the 3rd is lagging a bit. In a couple of days 2 of them should be colonized completely and ready for use. The 3rd may take a day or 2 more, maybe more. If they don't contaminate that is...

Also, the previous post is wrong as you can see. 75% is more like it..:mistrust:

Attached Thumbnails

• ovensterilize9.jpg

#39 OZ

OZ

Mycotopiate

• Validating
  • 502 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:41 AM

so it was a success??

can you show a pic of exactly how the lid setup is?

#40 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:49 AM

Not yet! Let's wait these out along with the 2 new ones knocked up today to see the deal here. I knocked one up with dry mycelium and the other with PE6 multispore...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!