Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Oven sterilization of whole grains log....

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#101 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,213 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:59 PM

This thread gave me an idea. That Iodophor stuff that brewers and restaurants use for contact sterilization deactivates when heated slightly. Even diluted it stains everything a reddish orange, but when hot water is poured on it the color disappears. It is supposed to be used in cold water, and is safe for food prep surfaces etc.

I use it to dip a lot of my fungi gear in between runs (dip in the bin I use as chamber, sterilizing it too), and it seems to work well (contaminant outbreaks are localized within a grow, and some grows are contaminant-free).

SO, the idea: Soak grain in jar overnight or longer (experimental variable 1) in a cold iodophor solution at various concentrations(experimental variable 2), pour off excess water, put in oven at an as yet undetermined temperature for an as yet undetermined time (variables 3 and 4).

Heat deactivates iodine, grains possibly sterile, no PC needed?

A concern is residual iodine being potentially uptaken by mycelium and concentrated in mushrooms (they are great bioaccumulators). Too much iodine is bad. I might try this this weekend, but if they fruit I won't eat until I research the iodine issue...

#102 shimmy

shimmy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 05:36 PM

would this tek work for the great outdoors such as adding 15 pounds of colonized pc'd grain to 25 pounds of oven sterilized grain and then adding fluffed up horse compost

#103 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:51 PM

15 pounds of colonized grain for an outdoor bed is more than enough.

#104 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 07:29 PM

would this tek work for the great outdoors such as adding 15 pounds of colonized pc'd grain to 25 pounds of oven sterilized grain and then adding fluffed up horse compost

the tek didn't work
:eusa_whis

#105 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 07:32 PM

This thread gave me an idea.

then it did it's job.
note this, pedestrian.
this is why
we let threads wander as they develop
naturally
without imposing formalities that just
get in the way.
:shy:

#106 Pedestrian

Pedestrian

Dreamspace Transient

• Expired Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:00 PM

then it did it's job.
note this, pedestrian.
this is why
we let threads wander as they develop
naturally
without imposing formalities that just
get in the way.
:shy:

I agree.

I just thought that the alot of the information (specifically about heating water) was being unneccesarily repeated and also of no help to Laz's poor mans method to sterilizing grains.

I realize that it's not my position to make such a statement and apologize.

Sorry.

-Ped

#107 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:04 PM

It's not a tek until it's proven my friends. This is a log. Give a brotha a chance.:rolleyes:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!