Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,384 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:45 PM

post-10514-138187137045.jpg

Pucks = Pressed..Substrate..Cakes.

I decided to make this thread to consolidate my ideas on Pucks. I have other puck threads but they were for testing the idea and i've learned a bunch since then.

What the fuck is a puck you ask ? Well ... a puck is substrate material that is pressed into shape. The first ones I did looked like a hockey puck and the name stuck.

They can be pressed into many different shapes and sizes. The basic idea is that you take pasteurized substrate material and place it in a form and squeeze. Here's how I do it:

Things you'll need:

A blender
Cardboard
Substrate materials of your choice (choose contam resistant stuff)
Slurry , 9er tek water , LC (any of them)
Yogurt container
Wire strainer
Glass jar

The first thing I do is to soak my materials. This means an overnight soak for the sub materials that will be pasteurized and a shorter soak for the cardboard.

So now we're ready to start the puck making process. First order of business is to place torn up pieces of the cardboard into the blender of water (you can add things like karo , potato water etc if you want to).

Use pulse mode (the first button) at first in short bursts so that the blender can keep up with pulping the cardboard. It takes a bit of practice to get it right , but becomes old hat eventually.

post-10514-138187136887.jpg

Every time your done pulping a load of cardboard in the blender dump it into the wire mesh strainer over a pail and let it drain. When its drained a bit dump it into a large bowl or other bucket and repeat.

post-10514-138187136915.jpg

Keep blending until you are done all your cardboard. Other things that work good for the mix and blend well are newsprint and egg cartons (not styrofoam). When its done clean up any messes and head outside.

Now its time to pasteurize your sub material. For this thread i'm using a 50 / 50 mixture of Coir and Garlic straw chips. Use whatever has been good to you over the years. The quickest way I like to pasteurize is to put the materials in a bucket of the hottest tap water possible , filled halfway. At the same time boil a large pot of water (or a pot and a kettle).

When the waters boiled add it to the half-filled hot water bucket and voila ... 160 F'ish water. Let that sit for 2 hours solid (don't skimp) and drain partially and allow to cool. When the pasteurizing is done take a clean tub and dump it in there. Don't worry about extra water because it will be pressed out later.

Take the cardboard pulp that you made and have sitting in a bucket and dump it on the pasteurized sub material. Mix very well and evenly. Make sure to get the cardboard as mixed in as you can.

post-10514-138187136938.jpg

Now take a jar of TV's slurry (colonized BRF cake blended in water) 9er tek water , or other spawn and slowly start squirting (or sprinkling) it on to the sub mix. Keep flipping and mixing as you add the spawn.

I made a very thick BRF slurry so I decided to water it down before this stage. This gave me a lot more Slurry. I simply added slurry to a jar of water , shook and sprinkled on the sub mix.

post-10514-138187136959.jpg

post-10514-138187136982.jpg

When that is good and mixed you are ready to form pucks ! To do that get a yogurt container and a large glass jar ready. Start stuffing the yogurt container with the innoced sub mix. Use your hands to push on the material and get it really packed in there.

post-10514-138187137002.jpg

Use the glass jar bottom to tamp and press the material in the yogurt container. Then flip the yogurt container over the jar (jar is upside-down) and start pressing with all your might , both hands. Rotate the container as you press , you'll see streams of water as all the extra moisture is pushed out. Keep pressing until there is not much or no water remaining to run.

You've just pressed your first puck !

post-10514-138187137031.jpg

Now eject the puck on a clean surface by pressing down on the yogurt container bottom. Plop , out she comes.

Repeat this process for each puck and when you are done make sure to put them in a clean , dark , warm place and don't forget to mark the strain name if you are doing multiples.

Here's some of the benefits i've found with pucks:

- Little to no contams (have'nt had one yet , touch wood)
- Long-lasting and many flushes
- Easy to handle and much less fragile then a cake
- Many sub materials can be incorporated into the mix
- Gives rise to large fruits
- All work can be done open air with no PC

I'd highly recommend pressed substrate pucks , especially when you use techniques like slurry and 9er tek that place mycelium everywhere in and on the puck. You can see growth within 48 hours.

Here's some pictures of pucks gone by. I hope you enjoyed this thread and as always feel free to try this at home.

post-10514-138187136867.jpg

post-10514-138187136856.jpg

Linkage:

9 er tek

TV Casualty's Slurry

And now you know what the Puck i'm talking about ...

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0241.JPG
  • DSCF0248.JPG
  • cake2.jpg
  • DSCF0225.JPG
  • DSCF0228.JPG
  • DSCF0216.JPG
  • DSCF0219.JPG
  • DSCF0223.JPG
  • new2.jpg
  • puck1.jpg

Edited by coorsmikey, 03 December 2016 - 02:16 PM.

• mycobri, wildedibles, shoomer and 5 others like this

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:51 PM

interesting.
compression has a measurement,
psi .
any idea how much pressure you're applying ?
this seems akin to cakes,
similar principles, differing details.
you do these open-air then ?

#3 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,384 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:14 PM

I pack a lot of material in there and press with all my might over the glass jar. How much pressure ? Not sure to be honest hip , just all i've got.

Pressing the materials wet allows for a much denser puck. If you were to let it drain first it would make it airy and light. In my observations a dense puck gives rise to much larger fruits than a loose one (i've done side-by-side comparisons).

I do them open air at all stages. Also I try and choose substrate materials that will not contam easily (in my observation) ... the cardboard , newsprint , garlic chips , horse manure , tree leaves etc.

I've even tried experiments where I intentionally placed trich on pucks and it would'nt colonize them. Now thats not to say they are contam-free because i'm sure they can become that way.

Pressed cake is a name that could be used , but I think of cakes as fluffy , these are very dense. I'm at a bit of a loss for words as to explain just how they are different than cakes , but all I can think of is the pressed factor and the fact that they have slurry everywhere instead of select innoc points
Mycelium likes the pucks and can go quite rhizo.

post-10514-138187137048.jpg

Here's a dixieland puck that was innoced with a couple agar chunks on the top. It grew down & around.

post-10514-13818713706.jpg

and the underside.

post-10514-138187137074.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• oc3.JPG
  • DSCF0073.JPG
  • DSCF0077.JPG

Edited by coorsmikey, 03 December 2016 - 02:43 PM.

• Opalguy likes this

#4 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,384 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:46 PM

I mentioned earlier that the substrate mix can be pressed into many shapes. I've experimented with a various different ones.

Squeezed by hand tightly it forms a ball. I made these clone-balls by mixing in 9er tek juice from a Redboy isolate.

post-10514-138187122422.jpg
Here's how I made my 9er tek water and formed the balls:

https://mycotopia.ne...ew-up/?p=560127

A squashed ball becomes a clone-burger ...

post-10514-138187137134.jpg
After 48 hours you can see a good deal of myc growth from its multiple starting points , inside and out. I'll post some pics of this phenomenon.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0197.JPG

Edited by coorsmikey, 03 December 2016 - 03:06 PM.

#5 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,384 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:30 PM

Last year I made a large puck out of materials in my yard. It went well except I was thrown off-track in two different ways. Firstly I had a wickedly slow strain on there and second thing was timing. Winter came along and the house is very cold in many places , to cold for cubensis. So I retired that puck.

Just now I stepped outside and went to make some Redboy pucks from slurry to join the Dixielands I made earlier. I'm kind of tired so I decided against making multiple small pucks.

Instead I grabbed a pail that was handy and threw the slurrified sub-mix in there , place a same sized clean pail inside and flipped both over. This part if fun ... standing on the bucket and slowly lift each foot up and down. Water streams out and then stops.

Flip over , eject the puck and here's what you get:

post-10514-138187137204.jpg

Put the bucket back over it and flip. Place the lid on with a good sized breather hole covered in polyfil or tyvek.

Hopefully this one will colonize much faster than the last with a better strain onboard.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0251.JPG

Edited by coorsmikey, 03 December 2016 - 03:09 PM.

#6 ephraim

ephraim

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:16 PM

Have you tried this with oysters or shiitake?

#7 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,384 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:27 PM

Oysters yes , shitakes not yet.

For woodlover-pucks I add sawdust to the mix and leave out the manure.

Here's some Oysters colonizing woodlover-pucks.

Attached Thumbnails

• dscf0398.jpg
  • dscf0313.jpg

#8 Nunyabiz

Nunyabiz

Teonanacatl

• Free Member
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:43 PM

Very cool!!! What strain is the fatties in your first post? The one puck with the monster sitting on top?

#9 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,384 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:49 PM

Syringe was bought as oh canada. Not sure what it actually was. Damn slow besides the big fruit.

Right now I have Dixieland & Redboy pucks ,much better strains. I'll post some pics of them as they fruit.

#10 Dan Dare

Dan Dare

Pilot of the Future

• Expired Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:06 AM

I'm sooo trying this. Already got several kilos of coir on order (specifically for this), loads of LC to spare so might as well use it up. I'll make up the pucks next week (when the coir arrives) and I'll post pics as it unfolds :)

#11 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,384 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:10 AM

The main thing is the pressing of the puck. Its important to expel all the extra water from the puck as you press. Its not hard to do but takes work.

#12 wildburr

wildburr

Wildest of Burrs

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,652 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:19 AM

I absolutely love this tek. I'm going to try it on my next Oyster grow.

And if it is not already, I declare that this is

Archive Material !

Love you and your work Hyph :eusa_clap

#13 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,384 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:40 AM

For Oysters i'd recommend wood shavings or sawdust in the mix. No manure , but you knew that.

I like to incubate the pucks in clear plastic to-go food containers (or yogurt). If you slide the puck forward from the bottom it gives a tiny bit of air space.

When its colonized I slip it out and cut fruiting holes. You know the routine (stating for others) , wherever theres a hole the Oysters will fruit.

Oysters are a different animal as you know and grows much faster than say Cubensis. Whereas with Cubes you want that myc everywhere you can , with Oysters simply plugging the puck with spawn will do. If you were to add LC, 9er tek clone water or slurry to the pulp before pressing the growth should be explosive.

I found growth is doubled if you have breather holes at the top and bottom of the incubator ...

Best of luck. I'm very happy others are trying this and honored to be vaulted into the archives. I humbly accept and give thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• dscf0309.jpg
  • dscf0398.jpg

#14 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,384 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:35 PM

I just checked the mega-puck and there is small fluffy white spots all over it ! If all goes well i'll have pics shortly.

I have a 3.2 mega-pixel camera that is absolute crap. Its hard to focus on something as small as a myc starting point. When you see me post pics I have to take 5 for every one clear one I post.

:rasta:

#15 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:57 PM

Ah so you actually add the slurry or spawn water to the sub material before pressing. Interesting indeed.

If you did the pressing in a large pot you could potentially save the water and re-incubate, or use it in a compost pile. Might get lucky and find it produces growth. Very Cool.
I will be trying this with some knotweed, coir, and cardboard.

You ever tried blackberry stalk? Probably a bit difficult with the thorns and all, but I have one of those strippers for roses to remove thorns. Might try that also.
Thanks hyph, I love it.

#16 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,384 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:11 PM

When you flip the plastic container over the upside-down glass jar and press that can be done over a catch-tub or pot , like you say. Then you dump the resulting water between pucks into a receptacle and reuse in some manner.

Good thinking Foster. I love co-authoring ideas.

Myco-creative commons in practice. :bow:

#17 bosshogg

bosshogg

spore-cano

• Free Member
  • 725 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:11 PM

very cool :eusa_clap:bow::eusa_clap:bow:

#18 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,384 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:38 AM

You ever tried blackberry stalk?

I have'nt but I notice its quite contam resistant. Thats what I look for , plants that are there the next year , but have not rotted.

#19 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,384 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:47 AM

Not sure if the myc shows up with my crap camera , but if you look REAL close ...

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0014.JPG

#20 Dan Dare

Dan Dare

Pilot of the Future

• Expired Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:23 AM

I had a go at this yesterday, soaked substate for 24 hrs, pasteurised and mixed with cubie LC. I employed a slight variation tho, the substate I used was waste (dried) ganja leaves, with some straw added.

grow images.jpg

I added a bit too much straw the first time around, so I removed some and made the second large puck at the bottom. Next time I'll try with no straw. I didn't have any yoghurt containers so I used an oval ice cream tub instead, hence the weird shape. The other was made from a PF-tek half-pint jar, all were compressed to remove as much water as possible.
Pucks are now incubating.

Next time I try this I'll use coir as substate.

edit: just a note regarding using a pf-tek half-pint jar as a mould as I did above, to do this I found it useful to first put a plastic bag inside the half-oint jar, this facilitates easy removal after the compression - otherwise its tedious or impossible to get the puck out in once piece.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!