143 replies to this topic

#21 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,682 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:36 AM

Not sure if the myc shows up with my crap camera , but if you look REAL close ...

I looked real close and got freaked out by the faces on your fruit bowl. But yes, the myc. showed up nicely too. :D

In all seriousness, I think you might have come up with something big here. For one thing, the compression you use goes against the typical advice of not packing things down too tight, but the pictures of your results speak for themselves. Not only that, but the pucks (I'd stick with that name, it's catchy) are more contamination resistant and appear to be producing larger fruits than traditional cakes of the same size. Something's going on here that goes against the grain of conventional growing advice, and that's worth exploring further (to say the least). Blending up the cardboard and other stuff with Karo or potato water and still not having your pucks contaminate while colonizing in open air would not be the result I'd have expected.

No PC required, no HEPA filter, no stack of quart jars for spawn... I can see this becoming really popular. :bow:

My next thought was that I'd like to try making big blocks with a trash compactor. :amazed:

Or a piece of 4" PVC pipe; jam the substrate into a several-foot long section until it's packed tight, then push it out the end like a sausage and slice off pucks as it comes out or maybe even fruit the whole thing as a log.

I do have to admit that putting so much compression on a glass jar makes me a little nervous. I've had jars break in my hands before but I luckily wasn't injured (well, it wasn't really luck, it was how I was holding them and the thick leather gloves I was wearing).

Great write up, and I think we're going to see this technique take off exponentially as people realize it's potential.

#22 Dan Dare

Dan Dare

Pilot of the Future

• Free Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:53 AM

I'm guessing that for those less contam resistant substates, a peroxide variation might work really well with the Puck Tek.
(Or does that go without saying? Was just a n00b thought - thinking out loud'n all that.)

#23 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:24 AM

Interesting idea,,
I started packing spawn,mulch and grass seed into tupperware bowls but only compressed enough to insure it retains it's form when the bowl is lifted..
I'll have to try comparing densities next time around..
I guess the myc has less distance to cover in a compressed sub, n' mebbe dries out more slowly..
https://mycotopia.ne...christmas-cake/

Edited by coorsmikey, 03 December 2016 - 03:30 PM.

#24 Adderallic

Adderallic

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:25 AM

what else can be used instead of garlic or blackberry stalks? I'm not sure what those are or where i could get them, but they don't sound like something Blowe's (or similar store) would carry them

Edited by Adderallic, 03 May 2009 - 11:26 AM.
reppin' teh first post wooot

#25 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,184 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:31 PM

Thanks for dropping by all. I appreciate all your words and advice.

what else can be used instead of garlic or blackberry stalks?

The skies the limit as far as what cellulose materials you can put in there:

Manures of all kinds
Tree leaves
Lawn clippings
Shredded straw of ____ plant (fill in the blank)
Egg cartons (grey paper ones)
Cardboard
Newsprint

The list goes on. Whatever you use should be known to yourself as fairly contam resistant. To deduce what is you need to experiment , read up and observe in nature (look for plant material the year after it grows that is not covered in molds , mildews and contams).

I do have to admit that putting so much compression on a glass jar makes me a little nervous. I've had jars break in my hands before but I luckily wasn't injured

True enough. The jar could and likely should be replaced with a non-breakable item. Quite often I just use another yogurt container under. They are a bit flimsy but do work good. For the large puck (taking off nicely) I used a plastic pail inside another pail, and even stood on it. If there is to much moisture in the sub material you want to press you can pre-squeeze some by hand before placing it in the yogurt container and then you wont need to press so hard and the second plastic container will do.

The only reason for the need to press so hard is expelling extra water , not so much for the forming of the puck. If the majority of the water is expelled prior to being put in the yogurt container you would'nt need to press nearly as hard.

I'll have to try comparing densities next time around..

I look forward to your results Golly.

this facilitates easy removal after the compression - otherwise its tedious or impossible to get the puck out in once piece.

Thats why I use yogurt tubs (of various sizes), the puck easily plops right out because they are malleable. I've tried using ganja shake and its quite tricky , can smell bad and is easy to contam. With something like that i'd use an aggressive strain with a heavy amount of spawn.

Thanks again.

#26 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,184 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:49 PM

Regarding the amount of pressure to press the pucks I feel that it depends on the materials you are using. For instance if you are using shredded tree leaves and the like they are quite spongy , you can press as hard as possible with a light mix like this.

If you were using mainly cardboard egg cartons and horse manure say , then a lighter press might do the trick better.

Each person trying this needs to fiddle with the details to customize it to their own needs. Try making smaller test pucks and go from there.

:bow:

#27 tbonus

tbonus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:06 PM

VERY NICELY DONE!!!:bow::eusa_clap:headbang: You've got a tub full of knowledge.lol,Cant wait to see more

#28 Adderallic

Adderallic

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for dropping by all. I appreciate all your words and advice.

The skies the limit as far as what cellulose materials you can put in there:

Manures of all kinds
Tree leaves
Lawn clippings
Shredded straw of ____ plant (fill in the blank)
Egg cartons (grey paper ones)
Cardboard
Newsprint

The list goes on. Whatever you use should be known to yourself as fairly contam resistant. To deduce what is you need to experiment , read up and observe in nature (look for plant material the year after it grows that is not covered in molds , mildews and contams).

so if im understanding this correctly, mycelium will be able to grow in a puck of ground up cardboard, newspaper and water?

#29 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,184 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:29 PM

so if im understanding this correctly, Mycelium will be able to grow in a puck of ground up cardboard, newspaper and water?

At the right temps , moisture and with FAE surely mycelium would grow , but would it fruit well ? That depends on a few things , species being one of them. For example Oysters would fruit better on the materials you mention more so then Cubensis because they the Oysters are woodlovers. This is why we add things like manure water , karo , potato water etc... to dung-loving species like Cubensis.

If you are speaking specifically about Cubensis then I would take that list of materials as the basic starter to which you add nutrient rich materials like manure , leaves or other plant cellulose.

#30 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,184 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:37 PM

Mega-Puck today.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0020.JPG

#31 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:03 PM

sounds like a "puck-a-thon"..

1-800-puck-me

1-800-puck-you

callers are standing by. please puckaholics only...
  • BlueGloom likes this

#32 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,184 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:19 PM

http://en.wikipedia....Puck_(mythology)

Puck (mythology)

Puck is a mythological fairy or mischievous nature sprite. Puck is also a generalised personification of land spirits. Whilst being an aspect of Robin Goodfellow, he is also 'hob' and Will-o'-the-wisp.

Hob-Knobs ? LOL

#33 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,184 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:14 PM

Here's those clone balls a few days in:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0026.JPG

#34 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,184 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:10 PM

Tried something different today. Had some colonized wbs of Redboy and decided to spawn a few pucks with it.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0035.JPG
  • DSCF0034.JPG
  • DSCF0033.JPG
  • DSCF0032.JPG
  • DSCF0030.JPG

#35 wildburr

wildburr

Wildest of Burrs

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,652 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:09 PM

Hey how did that bucket system(the 5 gallon ones with the holes drilled in them) you were working on turn out for Oysters? For some reason I cant even find the original thread. Any way, I've been doing the newspaper tek for my Blues. For trying the pucks is there any wood shavings or saw dust to avoid? Or preferred?

#36 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,184 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:18 PM

Sawdust wood be fantastic Wild. Hardwood like birch , maple , oak or alder would be preferred , others would work. I'd avoid most generic pine mixes.

Adding the water from the soaked sawdust/chips to the blender process and soaking the cardboard is always a bonus for woodlovers. Bigger chips would cause a problem with crumbling methinks.

Here's that bucket thread. I must say i'm not a huge fan of straight straw anymore. To much problems for me. But it does work for a flush or two...

https://mycotopia.ne...raw-in-buckets/

Edited by coorsmikey, 03 December 2016 - 03:33 PM.

#37 wildburr

wildburr

Wildest of Burrs

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,652 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:27 PM

Thanks for the link, and yeah I've pretty much given up on straw. It kept contaming on me.

Looks like its time to go out to my dads wood shop and create some oak dust, or birch, we have both available.

Just remembered, my daughters Hamster uses alder shavings. Bet they would work well.

Edited by wildburr, 03 May 2009 - 11:33 PM.
Just remembered

#38 wildburr

wildburr

Wildest of Burrs

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,652 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:42 PM

sounds like a "puck-a-thon"..

1-800-puck-me

1-800-puck-you

callers are standing by. please puckaholics only...

By the way I tried those numbers, They just told me to puck off. :lol:

#39 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:46 PM

Great write up hyph. Love all the details and pics. I might try some Friscosa pucks.

#40 whatisntseen

whatisntseen

Behind the Door

• Expired Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:24 AM

When I finally get around to trying out friscosa or something, I'll almost definitely be using this tek. Very nice and detailed and I can't wait to see the results of that huge bucket puck!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!