• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#41 Adderallic

Adderallic

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:22 AM

Im gonna make some pucks today, should i post pics and a TR? Probably gonna do the cardboard newspaper combo because im growing wood-loving mushrooms. One last question: what kind of cardboard is that in the OP pics? It looks like pieces of lasagna pasta (lol), not the standard corrugated?

#42 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:00 AM

Im gonna make some pucks today, should i post pics and a TR? Probably gonna do the cardboard newspaper combo because im growing wood-loving mushrooms. One last question: what kind of cardboard is that in the OP pics? It looks like pieces of lasagna pasta (lol), not the standard corrugated?

Post away , the more the merrier. Not sure what a TR is exactly. Yes I use corrugated. There are many different thicknesses of cardboard. The kind on the boxes you get with the jars is the thin kind , the "lasagna" type is from a double-thick bath & shower box I found at the dump.

In any case you soak the cardboard. When its fully wetted you take the top and bottom layer of paper off. It peels right off the corrugated. The reason for doing this is two-fold , its dirtier on the outside and is made of a different material than the inside. The inner core blends better than the outside paper also.

post-10514-13818715451.jpg

Some of the best results i've had with woodlovers was from grey cardboard egg-cartons. Oysters seem to love it. Pic attached is unheated egg-carton.

Great write up hyph. Love all the details and pics. I might try some Friscosa pucks.

Great to see you WLJ , thank you very much , can't wait to see that ...

Attached Thumbnails

• dscf0313.jpg

Edited by coorsmikey, 03 December 2016 - 08:11 PM.

#43 wildburr

wildburr

Wildest of Burrs

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,652 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:55 PM

Some of the best results i've had with woodlovers was from grey cardboard egg-cartons. Oysters seem to love it. Pic attached is unheated egg-carton.

So just a light Bleach bath for it, or au natural? Thanks for that tidbit :heart:

#44 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:57 PM

So just a light bleach bath for it, or au natural? Thanks for that tidbit

No bleach , it wrecks my clothes. Could do if you like.

#45 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:27 PM

I like to incubate the pucks in yogurt-sized plastic containers , clear is preferred for viewing pleasure.This is because they get very good humidity and it conforms to my favorite tek ... neglect.

Also I found if you skootch the puck forward from the bottom it leaves air space on both ends. I got much better growth with air-breathers (polyfil) at both ends.

Puck incubators.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#46 Adderallic

Adderallic

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:36 PM

Damn i would have thought you guys would know what TR means.

TR = trip report. Basically a cliff notes version of what happened and how it went

#47 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

I'm not the sharpest spoon in the drawer ...

Sure throw a "TR" in there. Why not.

#48 wildburr

wildburr

Wildest of Burrs

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,652 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:34 PM

TR = trip report. Basically a cliff notes version of what happened and how it went

We know what a trip report is. You're just the first to abbreviate it here, thats all.

#49 Adderallic

Adderallic

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

We know what a trip report is. You're just the first to abbreviate it here, thats all.

trip report on this forum and trip report on the forums im usually at could have meant completely different things ;)

#50 stimpy

stimpy

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:16 PM

Another nifty idea Hyph

so does the brf slurry work as well as straight grainspawn even when you dilute with water? or is it like a cross between spawn and LC?

#51 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:20 PM

so does the BRF slurry work as well as straight grainspawn even when you dilute with water? or is it like a cross between spawn and LC?

The brf slurry creates thousands of tiny innoc points.I find it covers a lot more ground than grain. LC would work good to , as would 9er tek water.

On one of my last posts on the other page I use wbs as spawn. Going down that road can lead to contams though. I'm trying to keep it where the whole process can be done open-air.

#52 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:06 PM

I had a thought.

I'm running out of brf cakes to turn in to slurry. Easy enough to do up some jars , but I can't afford verm at the moment and wifey would'nt like me to use what little rice we have for hobby purposes.

This got me to thinking.

I do have a few pucks fruiting via neglect tek , and although they are not as big as could be (I'm very busy) they are throwing fruit. Most that were of a decent size I decappitate and then throw the stalk in the fridge in a baggy.

So now I have a bunch of stalks for cloning. By wrapping them in the corregated cardboard (soaked in nutes or not) , clone-sushi style , they colonize. Take the colonized wraps and blend them with more cardboard and other contam resistant sub material that you like. Press the resulting pulp into a puck after draining.

In the meantime you could be growing out the spores you took in an LC to replenish the cultures genetics whenever you wanted to.

This way a small portion of your fruits are used for the next grow , and they are clones.

Does this sound feasible ? Just jamming ideas. I guess this like a cross between cardboard cloning and 9er tek. Not exactly original.

#53 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:53 PM

Here's the pucks spawned with wbs. Surprisingly good. I'm starting to think putting the slurry in the fridge right away and then out and in might have slowed it down. That or I blended it to much.

I'll have to tweak that next time. Anyhow here's the grain-spawned puck.

Also included is the start of the experiment to use a pile of stragglers and aborts to colonize cardboard sushi roll.With that I hope to blend with other sub material to form a new bunch of pucks.

Last pic is the pasteurized sub mix ,spawned withe Dixiland and pressed to the bottom of a tub. I flipped it on to the lid and removed tub for the pictures sake.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0046.JPG
  • DSCF0040.JPG
  • new.jpg

#54 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:03 PM

Decided to be non-lazy and I did a verm DEC & roll on my pucks and cake remnants. Always been advised to try the verm on there and finally got around to it.

The pucks are redboy and dixieland. Trying something different with the invitro bags inside the tub. With this setup I don't have to worry about accidentally spraying the pucks at a bad time. I cut holes in the bottom corners of each bag.

The plastic dome over the other puck was an idea reminded to me in chat. Thanks whoever that was ... believe it was the Flopster. :rasta:

The tub is tidy now and hopefully the DEC will lead to a good fruiting.

Any comments or tips appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0053.JPG
  • DSCF0057.JPG
  • DSCF0059.JPG
  • DSCF0049.JPG
  • DSCF0051.JPG

#55 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:41 PM

I'm going away for a week and will let the hobby projects do their thing in privacy.

Hoping to come home to so good colonization.

Here's what those wbs spawned pucks look like ...

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0079.JPG

#56 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:52 PM

ow thats why you havent answered my pms. lol

man this is interesting. i got a tone of card board that has been next to imposable for me to rip up. but if i pulp it and dry it i would be able to precoces far more substrate than with scissors also i think the end result would be far better

my oysters on cardboard experiments may well have just been given a new lease of life thanks to this.

:)

#57 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:55 PM

I'm going away for a week

Yah. Gotta get out and about once in awhile.

#58 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:08 PM

i hear ya man. have a good n

just a quick thought. last year i was researching cheese making as i love cheese more than shrooms women beer ect. i ended up needing to make a home made cheese prese because the dam things can run you into the hundreds and i aint made out of money.

the home made press worked wonders the only problem was that i wasn't any good at making cheese so it eventually got dismantled for parts.

ill see if i can find the link for you, because this puk idea is something elts but the only drawback i see would be squishing say twenty of them.

:rasta:

#59 stimpy

stimpy

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:52 AM

You should build something with those pucks like a fort, and when they start fruiting it will be fucking awesome

#60 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:32 PM

I've come up with some innovations for the puck system. This while away for a week and with no projects or cultures around. Sometimes its good to take a step back and get some fresh ideas.

Just playing around with containers and fruiting set-ups. Might have come up with a real good one.

I'll report in a couple of days when I access whats going on and experiment a little.
  • johnnydigital likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!