SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,395 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:27 AM

Hmmm... I remember this thread!

Now you got me thinking.  I have all this course sawdust from oak and ash (cutting up old dead wood with the chainsaw).  Now if I take that and PC it, press out all the liquid and compress it into a puck, and then take 2 of these pucks as the "Bread" and use a colonized agar as the "Jelly" and make a sandwich....

That might be some kind of sandwich.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#142 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,194 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:37 PM

Yah somewhere buried is my first puck experiments in another thread where I do just that and sandwhich spawn in between two halves of a puck inside a yogurt container...it works real well.

Regarding woodlovers and woodproduct pucks, yes thats a go also. That worked with p.cyans the first time out. The pucks were a bit crumbly due to having lots of woodchips so I had to try and not handle them as much as possible. Thet did fruit same season...

Edited by hyphaenation, 17 January 2017 - 01:38 PM.

• MLBjammer, Arathu and SteampunkScientist like this

#143 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,068 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:43 PM

Yah somewhere buried is my first puck experiments in another thread where I do just that and sandwhich spawn in between two halves of a puck inside a yogurt container...it works real well.

Regarding woodlovers and woodproduct pucks, yes thats a go also. That worked with p.cyans the first time out. The pucks were a bit crumbly due to having lots of woodchips so I had to try and not handle them as much as possible. Thet did fruit same season...

When the weather breaks I'll get photographs of a mycelium eating a sheet of OSB particle board...........with vigor it is! Even those dense recycled paper "egg carton on steroids" packing blocks are very densely colonized..........wood pucks...oh my! 

• coorsmikey likes this

#144 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:51 PM

This is awesome tek!

Thank both Hyph and coorsmikey for exhumation of this fine topic.

I now have better things to do w/ pizza boxes than burn them since recycling won't take them (I won't use obviously oil/food enriched parts). Every scrap saved from a landfill is a savings for me and the land.

Once I get some nice clean wood loving edibles I'd like to adapt this tek to make compressed log plugs as I have 20 acres of untouched (except for the one hunter that has permission and probably a few other who don't) woods that has oodles of large dead fall hardwoods I'd love to turn over and assault w/ a cordless drill, stuff w/ plugs, and then replace.

Do it early spring when out hunting morels. :wub:

I have 5 qt. of rye berries just waiting for the 'noc and think a couple would be a perfect donor subjects for a test run.

Thank you again for the thread and the resurrection!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!