Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Somewhat strange looking Panaeolus Cambodgiensis mycelium - mold!?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:50 AM

:teeth:

Pleasant surprise yesterday as I spotted the first pins, after 5-6 days in fc. They are appearing on two small trays in the fc, but on a larger tray I can see lots of tiny tiny knots. Temperatures rose to 20-25 degrees C here yesterday, which I believe may be a good part of the explanation, so temperatures inside the fc just above trays was finally able to come to 27-28 degrees C. The temperature of the fish tank heater in the 'tit' like setup is 32 degrees C so I have been a bit worried temperatures inside the trays may be too high, but I reckoned I would rather have failure due to too high temperatures than having nothing happening at all.

Now I'm just hoping they'll continue to grow! :-)

Attached Thumbnails

• pins1.jpg
  • pins2.jpg

#22 nyi

nyi

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:36 AM

Congratullation! I told you that this will happen soon... ;)

#23 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:08 AM

Thanks, Nyi. I will put my faith on your crystal ball vision next time! :-)

---
Edit - small update 8 hours later. These pins are fast! :amazed:
And BTW these are all trays with 30:70 coir:compost mix. The trays with straight compost mix got delayed for various reasons (like not enough space in the incubator). One of the straight compost trays was dunked in the fridge as per Spacecake's tek, but it seems to be slow in regaining momentum. Possible reasons - fridge too cold and new casing layer applied after dunk too thick. But it's not dead, it is slowly going through the new casing layer.

Attached Thumbnails

• pins8hourslater2.jpg
  • pins8hourslater.jpg

Edited by Om shanti, 31 May 2009 - 11:43 AM.
wanted to add some more photos

#24 nyi

nyi

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:22 PM

Two more days and'll have prints. Another two and they'll start falling down dead, heavenly bluing. Be careful... some say that they loose potency by drying, but recently I got really badly surprised only from 0,8g dried. It's a little bit more like dmt in my eyes, but still it's the mushrooms... and without the body-load... you'll see your self.

#25 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:31 PM

Congratulations Om Shanti !

Those pins have that healthy orange look to them...
Nice work...!

#26 pvacant

pvacant

a DeAd BoY

• Expired Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:49 PM

OHHH YEAHHHH.......
Looks great, lucky you. if you haven't indulged in the pans yet, well i'll just say - your in for a treat :amazed: :amazed: :amazed:. and definetly take some prints, cause your gonna want to grow them again & again & again........congrats.:eusa_clap

#27 pvacant

pvacant

a DeAd BoY

• Expired Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:00 PM

hehe, Pins are slightly delayed due to a fatal design failure with a new FC. But a more primitive but working version will be running from tomorrow. Hopefully pins will come then.

I have one question: LC for pans?? Is there a good recipe? Two times I have tried a 2% dextrose / 2% light malt extract solution, and spores didn't grow the least.

i have used just 4% karo-H2O, and 1/2 cc Multi spore solution (with a stir plate) and it has worked fantastic
  • Om shanti likes this

#28 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:06 PM

Thanks, friends! I've never tried Pans before. I'm getting all worked up about trying these, with you all writing how potent they are. :-)

I can't stop looking at the pins, so I'll probably post some more shots tomorrow, which is a holiday here. But there hasn't been much work in it for me actually, Spacecake, since I used this premade compost. I have a feeling that if I'd had to make the compost myself, I would have had a lot of green by now.

Oh, thanks for the LC recipe, Pvacant, I'll give that a try.

Edited by Om shanti, 31 May 2009 - 04:19 PM.
didn't see pvacant's last reply

#29 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:39 PM

Well,the compost seems to work very good indeed.
Didn't thought pans would like Chicken shit...!

#30 nyi

nyi

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:09 AM

Karo is dextrose syrup I'm right? What is the dextrose content in it? What are the differences between dextrose LC and dextrose/malt LC, which I use? Are there any differences at all, or it's just preferences?

#31 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:32 AM

I'd also like to know whether dextrose could substitute for karo, since I have plenty of the former. But Nyi, at least for me, the dextrose/light malt extract didn't work with these pan spores. Did this mix work with pans for you, Nyi?

Well,the compost seems to work very good indeed.
Didn't thought pans would like Chicken shit...!

Hehe, yes it doesn't sound right with chicken shit. It doesn't say how much chicken shit it has on the package, but as far as I understand it's solely added as extra fertilizer, so the percentage of volume should be quite small.

Here are the company claims of nutrient content, if it's of any use.
Potassium (K) (water soluble) 1,4g / litre
Nitrogen (N) (water soluble) 0,13g / litre
Nitrogen (N), total 1,6g / litre
Phosphorus (P), total < 0,3g / litre
Volumetric weight 0,28g /cm3

Attached Thumbnails

• 24hourslater3.jpg
  • 24hourslater2.jpg
  • 24hourslater1.jpg

#32 nyi

nyi

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:16 AM

I never tried it with Pans... but I planed. You can substitute Karo with dextrose (Glucose)... Karo is just corn derived dextrose mixed with water... Pure dextrose has the potential to be even better then Karo.

Hearing that Dextrose/Malt is very important now for my further experiments. Thanks! Anybody has another informations?

#33 Guest_Mr. Mongo_*

Guest_Mr. Mongo_*

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:29 PM

Om shanti,
congratulations for those pins, it look fantastic! :eusa_clap

someone told me about make a dung extract with water but for plates ... may it can work with some modifications ?

i've failled with kero, malt/dextrose LC for pans

can you show some picture of your new fruiting chamber please ?

good vibes! :rasta:

#34 RichShroom

RichShroom

Former Member

• Free Member
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:54 PM

Applause for the success with the tricky-exotic.
:eusa_clap

Kudos Om ... much respect.

#35 M&M420

M&M420

Eternity Intern

• Validating
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:28 PM

:eusa_clap Very nice Om shanti!!!Let us know how the sampling goes

#36 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:07 PM

Thanks alot, Rich, Meanman and Kanituk! :bow:

Dung extract might smell a bit funny but it's probably not a bad idea, Kanituk.. And/or with a bit of rice flour in the solution?! At least the pans will grow in rice flour, so maybe they would also grow in it if it was very fine flour suspended in liquid.

Here is a little description of my fruiting chamber, as requested. I had some ideas for a nice fruiting chamber but after a series of stupid mistakes, I have had to settle for this temporary solution, which is by no means very good. It works right now, but only because the weather is excellent here at the moment.
It's two bedrollers in a "tub in a tub" setup in the bottom of a cardboard box. I used an inflated bicycle tube to keep water from evaporating from the bottom tub. The sides of the cardboard box are lined with some insulation material (the effect of which is probably very close to zero), and then I cut a 100 liter transparent plastic garbage bag, to make the inner 'wall', which is simply stuffed between the two bedrollers and folded around the insulation material. And the lid of one of the bedrollers sits on top of this 'wall'.
There is a 120L/hour fish tank air pump that bubbles through the jar with water in the center, and this takes care of humidity and some FAE. But it's both too noisy and would flood the box if it was on all the time, so I just turn it on for a few hours in the morning and in the evening. Whenever I have time I open and fan a bit manually. There is an approx. 3x10 cm opening in the 'chamber' where the airtube comes in.

Attached Thumbnails

• cardboardfc1.JPG
  • cardboardfc2.JPG
  • cardboardfc3.JPG

#37 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:53 PM

Nice! Congrats man, nicely done. :bow::eusa_clap. Check out BlueHelix's threads with pan lc. I'll give you a link to one. His lc pics blew me away. very cool ;) http://mycotopia.net...rate-trays.html

I have been patiently keeping an eye on this thread waiting to see your success. Woot, and here it is! :headbang: Cool stuff. :)

#38 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:40 AM

Thanks Foster!! :)

Spores are spreading in one of the small trays, so I will give it until tonight or tomorrow morning at the latest to get some prints. As far as I understood Nyi the window for printing is short before the mushrooms start to decompose.

Bluehelix is a true master of Pans, I sat glued to the screen through all his growlogs! :bow: For the LC he's actually using dextrose/light malt extract in the same proportions that I tried twice without luck. (And I presume its the same standard ratio Kanituk tried also?!) So I wonder if this is really a good recipe or alternatively, it's just that Bluehelix can make anything grow! ;-)

I am afraid I haven't kept a track of what people have written about pan LCs in their growlogs, but I do recall a number of people stating that the standard LCs failed. I've used the dextrose/malt extract formula for cubensis so I should think I know how to make it up. However, the last time I did that was a year ago, and the light malt extract had gone 3-4 months past expiration date when I made the pan LC, so that's a potential cause of failure although I find it not very likely that this should go bad (that's why I didnt mention it before) as did more experienced Mycotopiates I asked some time ago. It has been kept well sealed (opening folded several times together and then sealed with strong tape) in a quite dry environment but may have endured some temperatures past 80F last summer. But I guess I should see if I can find the ~6$ to get a new bag at the brewery hobby shop instead of just speculating on this possibility. It would certainly be easiest if this standard recipe could work instead of having to search for all sorts of alternative teks. But I think I will also try Kanituk's "poo extract".

One tray failed as you can see. I suspect one or more causes 1) lots of overlay, 2) when I first put the trays in the FC I had put a lot of tablesalt in the jar with water for airbubbling. The jar was too full resulting in some of the very salty water dripping mostly on this tray, however only on about 1/5 of it. After I realized how salty the moisture was everywhere I changed the water and didn't add salt this time. Maybe it's just 3) bad luck.

Attached Thumbnails

• failed.JPG
  • larger.JPG
  • harvest.JPG

#39 Guest_Mr. Mongo_*

Guest_Mr. Mongo_*

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:40 AM

Om shanti, you did it! :headbang:

nice chamber, i did a similar ;)

weeks ago i did a test for cubes with 4gr poo + 200ml water filtered with coffe paper, 2gr honey, 2gr kero ... it result a strong mycelium

may dextrose be solidified after PC ? ... it needs 5 psi ...

it's recipe for plates:
5 grams of potato flakes (instant mash potatos )
10 grams of Dextrose (15ml corn syurp or honey)
10 grams of Agar Agar
1 gram of yeast extract (or any grain flour)
500 ml of water (Dung extract works fantasic for pan cyans)
{To make dung extract take 10 to 15 grams of either fresh or dried dung and boil it in 1 liter of water,for 5 min. or less. Filter off the soilds, (coffee filters work great). toss the soild in your next substrate, and use the dung extract in your culture mediums) }

congratulations for those pans! :bow:

#40 nyi

nyi

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:49 AM

The sides of the cardboard box are lined with some insulation material (the effect of which is probably very close to zero)

Such an isolation will hardly have zero effect. I'd bed for at least 1.5C = 3F. I don't have isolated incubator and the temps are changing in the range of 23-29C = 73.5-84F, depending on the weather (outdoor temps, opened window, etc.), FC configuration (including space taken by trays, air pump speed, etc.), cooking/PCing/baking (My FC is build in to a cabinet right under the roof of my kitched) and some unpredictable params.

With 2cm = 4/5in polystyrene isolation on all sides except the from transparent foil the temps were roughly 2C higher in average and the fluctuation were only from 23C-26C... in winter.

I'd suggest to isolate the top and the bottom of the FC. Even with a few sheets of cardboard taped together (tape the holes in the sheets too). Then tape them to the underside of FC (this will compensate for thermal energy absorbed by the floor, which can be quite noticable). Another isolation, which can be even a folded towel, on top of the FC will halt great deal of escaping warm air. I advise to use a thermostat with such an isolation.

Any FC/incubator isolation (other then a piece of cloth placed over the FC ;) is a little bit effective. Normally not mush, but enough to adjust temps for mushrooms with not mush effort. With a little bit more effort it can be very flexible, but not immune against outdoor temps, if you don't have conditioned room.

BTW, your pin set is prefect Om! And now, ehat I don't like to do, but if I remember right, I promised it to you... the emoticon: :bow:

(I'm posting just a few weeks, but everybody know I don't use emoticons and sometimes rich formatted text... they're screwing the real purpose of plain text... just write your thoughts using words).

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!