Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Somewhat strange looking Panaeolus Cambodgiensis mycelium - mold!?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#81 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:49 PM

The mycelium doesn't seem to have broken through the casing in the middle of the tray. Most of the mushrooms on the edges of the tray look weak and fragile too. But .. a gram of pans is a gram of pans. :-)

It's not so easy to see on the picture but ~60% of the overlay is almost blue.

I think it will be 1,5 days before I harvest this.

Attached Thumbnails

• flush1.JPG

#82 P4ulada

P4ulada

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 945 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:40 PM

An overlay strain hehe
Nice fruits bro, very nice ^^
Congratz on it! I hope my growth goes as well as your are ^^

#83 shroom_seeker

shroom_seeker

Still seeking...

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:53 PM

Nice grow Om shanti very pretty fruits! :loveeyes: enjoy!

#84 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:09 AM

Thanks for looking, p4ulada and shroom seeker! :bow:

I watered it last night, for the second time after putting the tray in the FC. I hope I got the timing right so I won't get any shrooms starting to rot. Also, I saw a few peyote seeds had germinated (got them from a cool member, and btw they're legal to grow here). :)

BTW, about half of mushrooms growing in the overlay, at the middle/front in the first picture, and at the middle left in picture 2, have some defects in the caps.

Attached Thumbnails

• front-view-no-flash.JPG
  • peyote-no-flash.JPG
  • side-view-flash.JPG

#85 copelandiaKidd

copelandiaKidd

I am

• Free Member
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:22 AM

Beautiful Flushes Brother:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:rasta::rasta::rasta::rasta::rasta::rasta::rasta::rasta::rasta::rasta:
  • Om shanti likes this

#86 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:09 AM

Thanks Copelandia! Nice name you chose! :)

I should've learned the lesson the last time: don't overwater pans.. (read: don't water them at all). The pans still growing respond well to watering, but those who are not growing simply start rotting. (bluish/blackish stems and caps in photo 1)

But now I got that conclusion repeated and learned another lesson the hard way too - don't induce an uncolonized tray to fruiting (it turned out the bottom wasn't properly colonized), and if you did do that then at least don't water it like crazy... :-)

It didn't turn bacterial the "bad" way.. but when I put my nose close to it smelled sort of like a mud hole on a sunny day. Not unbearable, but not too pleasant either. So out it went.

I should have seen this one coming, maybe.. it was certainly a failure of my own (careless) making. :-)

For a size and weight comparison, the better looking mushrooms that I didn't throw out and which are shown on pic 2 weigh 9,5g, and each tiny grid on the paper is just 0,5x0,5cm. Dried that might be 0,7-0,8g. Fresh it's about one good dose.:rasta:
Had all the mushrooms matured properly it would have been a bit more of course, but it sure is a tiny strain.

Attached Thumbnails

• freshsize.JPG
  • tsktsk.JPG

#87 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:07 AM

I am growing Pan. cyanescens "Jamaica", and was of course interested in seeing whether I would get the same kind of overlay as with the Pan. cambodginiensis. which would be a rough test of whether the overlay I got previously was strain related.

And the answer is: YES I get the same kind of overlay, and thus, NO it's probably not strain related.

I had practically convinced myself that this Pan. cambodginiensis strain I was growing had some built in overlaying mechanism, and was a bad strain. I stopped donating prints to FSRE, and I tried to discourage/warn people I had sent prints to about growing it, etc etc!! Saying they should rather grow some other pan strain. But unless I am somehow able to mutate pans in a matter of weeks, or infect them with some weird disease, both of which seem pretty unlikely to me (though I'm open to any possibility after seeing my latest hypothesis crumble :eek:), then there are probably other and pretty mundane factors that account for this overlay: Substrate, incubation parameters, etc.

This thread has truly become the ultimate collection of Om's lame hypotheses about Pan. overlay :weedpoke: and now I just wanted to conclude, and shall not bump it again. ;-)

#88 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Expired Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:37 PM

Go on Shanti!:thumbup:

Awesome flushes you got there, congrats:eusa_clap
  • Om shanti likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!