- - - - -

Making a Still from your Pressure Cooker :)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,761 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:53 AM

And don't forget to isomerize! The crude, dark green oil I make from leaves and trimmings has still got the chlorophyl in it and probably other inactives wasting space, but one gram of it (made into tasty treats) gets ten people ripped for 5-6 hours, which isn't bad considering it was made from what's often just thrown away. I'm sure the honey oil goes a lot further, but I do very little work to get the crude stuff.

I've never been able to make myself wash the leaves with water before doing an extraction. I'm using stuff of such low potency already that I'm too paranoid about washing any of the good stuff off even though I know it's a proven and worthwhile step for a cleaner result. If I smoked it I might reconsider...

#22 hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,501 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:22 AM

Washing the water solubles out of the basic oil is what i've always done. Theres many ways to skin a potato though ...

#23 essentrik1

Here? Not here? Or both..

• Expired Member
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:00 PM

My only suggestion would to be more careful about your fermentation. Stilling will concentrate things, and hopefully you've got it so you should be *mostly* getting the safe/good stuff. However, poor temp control during fermentation is going to make a whole hell of a lot more of those fusel alcohols to start with. Good fermentation control and you will have almost no fusels in the first place.

#24 Soliver

• OG VIP
  • 1,994 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:55 PM

In a quasi-unrelated update, I had a pig roast this weekend... a neighbor brought over
some 20+ year old moonshine he had buried in the basement (long story).

After filling a flask for my personal consumption, we opened it up to the crowd,
most of whom had never had 'shine.... it was absolutely incredible, the kind of stuff
that just warms you all the way down yet without the burn I associate with liquor.

Needless to say, I got fairly destroyed that night, and felt like warmed-over shit
the next AM, but after a few pork sandwiches, a few brews, and a few rounds of
skeet shooting, I felt much better.

I GOTTA get some more of this stuff going...

#25 Hippie3

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:25 PM

sounds like fun,
hog roast at solly's.

#26 Nickypno

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

I know this was posted a long time ago, but I used it as a reference in planning to distill both ethanol as well as hydrocarbons to recollect solvents. I realized earlier when I was actually about to implement it that I should check the chemical compatibility of both the hydrocarbon solvents that I planned on using as well as ethanol with the materials of the pressure cooker. I see that Soliver used what looks like a pressure cooker which uses a rubber gasket. Most gaskets are made of silicone, I know for a fact that all Presto pressure cookers use silicone which is what most people here use, and the chemical compatibility of silicone and hexane as well as Naphtha ranks D - Severe effect. Not recommended for any use. In hyphaenations explanation in using this set up to recollect his naphtha, he didn't specifically illustrate what kind of pressure cooker he used, so I don't know if it had a rubber gasket. If you do this though, please don't use a cooker with a rubber gasket.

And ethanol and silicone are ranked B - good, but may cause corrosion. I asked my friend about this issue who has a strong chemistry background, and I was curious if it would make a difference that the solvents never come in contact with the gasket in their liquid form, but in their gaseous state instead. He said he would not recommend this combination. Just thought anybody thinking about using a presto pressure cooker for this application should be aware of the possible danger of leeching materials into their solutions. A better alternative would be to use an all american pressure cooker if you want to do this since it has metal to metal seal, no rubber gaskets, and aluminium ranks A - Excellent, which the hydrocarbon solvents that we here would use for most of our applications (hexane, heptane, naphtha, and xylene). Although aluminium ranks B with ethanol (ethanol in concentrations higher than 85% may leech materials into your product), my understanding from what I was told is that this is indeed more of an issue in it's liquid state and not so much in it's gaseous state. So it would be wise to place the solution to be distilled in a stainless steel bowl, and then place that inside the all aluminium pressure cooker.

Stay safe and healthy guys.

Edited by Nickypno, 30 November 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#27 Nickypno

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:36 PM

Since I can't edit my last post, I'll add here that if you want to do this, replace the rubber gaskets with cork gaskets. You can buy different thickness sheets of cork and cut them to size, and they are safe to use with ethanol and will not degrade.

• Uncle G likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!