Photo
- - - - -

spore water

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:54 PM

I know I've posted several times about suspending the cap on wires directly above the jar and letting the spores fall right into solution. However, I use a magnetic stir plate that runs the whole time the spores are dropping, and there's absolutely zero clumping. Every single spore remains seperate from every other one. If I want single spore germination(monokaryons) for experiments, I only leave the cap over the water for ten minutes or so. This gives a very dilute mix. For heavier concentrations, leave the cap over the water overnight. I leave the flowhood running during setup, until I have the whole operation wrapped up in a tyvek sheet. If you're making syringes, this is far superior to printing. Spores will last in solution much longer than on a print.
RR

#22 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:01 PM

unless they germinate...

#23 Stenciler

Stenciler

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:07 PM

This is probably a dumb question, but why would they germinate in distilled water? Is there a time frame, i.e. after 6 mos the spore solution will be half germinated? Or is it b/c of additives like karo? It's seems counter-evolutionary to germinate in an environment obviously too wet for mycelia.

#24 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:26 PM

i've asked them
why they do it
but so far
they remain
silent.
;)
but they do, from time to time,
germinate even in distilled water,
i've seen plenty of examples.

#25 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:39 PM

theres a tek in the old archives somewhere that uses a plastic gallon jug sun tea thing with the spiggot taken off and an injection port stuck in the hole.

the cap was suspended with a T-pin instead of a nail so it wouldnt fall off, and there was tyvek vents in the lid
it looked like a cool set up

#26 FatoftheMan

FatoftheMan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:22 AM

Just tried one doing this... still clump up a bit, but much better than my first attempt... this one is pretty concentrated.

Detail is so-so cause I'm using a handheld second lens to try and get close look.

Attached Thumbnails

• Syringe1.jpg

#27 SporeAddik1

SporeAddik1

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:25 AM

I had some Thai KS germinate in my syringe. I thought it was contaminated so I gave it a try.

#28 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:59 AM

just a tiny legal point to consider-
a dry print is legal, that we know.
but it seems to me that
spores in an aqueous solution
might arguably show
an intent to cultivate
from a prosecutor's viewpoint.
i'd keep mine dry until ready to use
for that reason alone.

#29 InfectedMushroom420

InfectedMushroom420

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:40 AM

just a tiny legal point to consider-
a dry print is legal, that we know.
but it seems to me that
spores in an aqueous solution
might arguably show
an intent to cultivate
from a prosecutor's viewpoint.
i'd keep mine dry until ready to use
for that reason alone.

Very good information! Thanks :)

#30 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:27 PM

a point i neglected to mention-
workman of sporeworks sez
movement/jarring of spores can
trigger premie germination too.

i've asked them
why they do it
but so far
they remain
silent.
;)
but they do, from time to time,
germinate even in distilled water,
i've seen plenty of examples.

#31 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:26 AM

When wondering why a spore would germinate in distilled water, remember that each spore is like a tiny egg or seed. It contains genetic material and a small amount of food to start life with.

As to the germinating in distilled water, it most assuredly happens. Not a problem unless LEO gets involved, though. A little "premie" germination just makes your jars go faster.

#32 InfectedMushroom420

InfectedMushroom420

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:42 AM

I know I've posted several times about suspending the cap on wires directly above the jar and letting the spores fall right into solution. However, I use a magnetic stir plate that runs the whole time the spores are dropping, and there's absolutely zero clumping.

Cool, please share it! :)

Anyway I never used any magnetic stir plate and just shook my jars.

I had and continue to have (out of 6 test jars already) zero clumping , not even the smallest, just from shaking afterwards. I think this is because the spores are already staying moist and laying on top of the water.

NOTE: Just a point that a person may not need to have that beautiful expensive equipment to achieve the same results. Although it would be alot funner! hehe

If everyone who has done something like this or seen posts relating to something like this and mentioned it, please post and share your links so we can all benefit :) Especailly us newbies.

Thanks!

#33 thafunkyone

thafunkyone

don't take no shit son!

• OG VIP
  • 979 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 12:02 PM

NOTE: Just a point that a person may not need to have that beautiful expensive equipment to achieve the same results. Although it would be alot funner! hehe

Thanks!

Check ebay for stir plates...you can get em cheap...maybe not beautiful but not expensive by any means...

#34 arezap

arezap

Underfunded evil genius

• Expired Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:34 PM

The only problem with this method is you only get one very dark syringe per print. If you use two slides you can get two syringes per print.

You could simply put the slides into a bag that will hold 4 syringes of water or use a big one and only inject what you want to make.

#35 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:46 PM

The easiest method is to squirt sterile water into the baggie and use your thumb and forefinger to rub the spores off the card. For example, if you plan on making 4 syringes with that print, squirt 48 ml of water into the bag. Shake the bag to mix the water and spores, then fill up your 4 syringes.

#36 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:16 PM

wlj...that's how i've been doing it. I got a few prints that were very dark and very large that i made a jar out of...i tapped the print off the foil ...slid right off...then added 1 syringe full of water...using my fingers loosened all the spores...sucked them up into a syringe then injected syring into a larger jar of 150mL of sterile water. worked great.

#37 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:23 PM

If you have no glovebox you can use the baggie as a glove box, get a syringe full of sterile water, stick it in, squirt a little out and mix the spores in the with needle, then suck up, repeat this a few times, then inject into your big jars. This also helps break up clumps. Inject very quickly into the big jar to help disperse too.

The easiest method is to squirt sterile water into the baggie and use your thumb and forefinger to rub the spores off the card. For example, if you plan on making 4 syringes with that print, squirt 48 ml of water into the bag. Shake the bag to mix the water and spores, then fill up your 4 syringes.

this is now my fav method, easy and less risk of exposure
:eusa_clap

except i just use ~5 cc in the baggie
which is then retrieved and injectd
into a larger jar of sterile water to desired dilution.

#38 bassplar99

bassplar99

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:35 PM

HEy everyone,

I am wanting to make up a little bit of sterile water, say I dunno, 300 ml or so. I can boil it but I am not sure what I should do while it cools. Just leave it covered in the pan? Sterilize a jar in the PC? How do you make your sterile water?

#39 Spark

Spark

OG

• Free Member
  • 863 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:36 PM

tea kettle

#40 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:42 PM

300-350ml will fit in a pint jar nicely. PC for 20 minutes on hi or 15#. Leave the lid quite loose (rubber side up) and let it cool in the PC. If you tighten the lid while the jar is hot it can break and cause a nice burn. I would also recommend distilled water for syringes. If that's what your'e doing you may want to try some hi-temp silicone on the needle holes in the lid.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!